Traverse Forum banner
41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
My Traverse 2010 LTZ

I just wanted to say that I love my Traverse so much!!!!!!!! I have been driving suvs for about twelve years and was so happy Chevrolet designed such a wonderful crossover. I think they really did their homework. I was so burned out on suvs. I wanted something fun and family like. My Traverse has been very reliable and produced some great gas mileage. My kids love it and so does my husband who is 6'4. My Toyota sequoia just was not comfortable enough fro him to drive. he loves driving my traverse. Mine is the LTZ so I have everything I could ever want on it. Thanks Chevrolet for a awesome car!!!! I just cannot say enough!!!!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well, I have a 2010 Traverse, build date 05/10 from Lansing. It always had a rattle on startup from the timing chain area from the day I bought it new. It would only last a couple seconds then go away, and since it was brand new, I figured it was normal. I always changed the oil well ahead of the oil monitor indication.
At 66K miles the engine pretty much quit. CEL, undriveable, etc. Had it towed to the dealer and guess what, excessive timing chain wear. At least they fixed it under warranty.
Now the funny thing is, now that I have it back with new chains, tensioner, guides, etc. it runs better than ever, and NO startup rattle.
Sounds like there may be more to this that what some people think, and certainly NOT limited to '09 or early '10

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Along with what Bob posted on the extended drain intervals and the smaller passages....

the wear on the chains- was also made worse by some owners that never checked their oil level in up to 10,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
rbarrios said:
Along with what Bob posted on the extended drain intervals and the smaller passages....

the wear on the chains- was also made worse by some owners that never checked their oil level in up to 10,000 miles.
A valid point, Robert. Further insight below .....

In the 90's, GM's Chevrolet V8 oil filter was black in color, from the factory. Replacement filter was blue, in color.

Too many times, a 20,000 mile car would be towed in, with a "no start" or "stopped running" complaint from the customer.

You guessed it, engine seized ....... and the FACTORY BLACK FILTER was still on the 20,000 mile vehicle.

No customer maintenance on their big dollar investment.

Difficult to understand. Go figure.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just got a 2010 date on door says 6/2010 check engine came on so pushed onstar and they read a p0008 code continued for 5 rrestart. 2 hours later go to start and take to shop and light is off now?? Had car for 7 days this is a bad situation :-[
Help

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
jimandamy said:
I just got a 2010 date on door says 6/2010 check engine came on so pushed onstar and they read a p0008 code continued for 5 rrestart. 2 hours later go to start and take to shop and light is off now?? Had car for 7 days this is a bad situation :-[
Help
yeah-- thats not looking good-
dealer or shop may want to change oil and see if its not related to a clogged sensor.

You may want to get a USED oil analysis-- if the oil is dark.... this will tell you how how the iron is.
pointing to a timing chain wearing-

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought last Tuesday 7 days before the light came on from a Chevy dealer they are taking a look at it today
Have less than 200 miles that I put on it at this point not in for a Timeing chain repair and 16000$ I got it for :eek:hno: they changed oil before I got it 3 months ago

·
Registered
8 Posts
jimandamy said:
I bought last Tuesday 7 days before the light came on from a Chevy dealer they are taking a look at it today
Have less than 200 miles that I put on it at this point not in for a Timeing chain repair and 16000$ I got it for :eek:hno: they changed oil before I got it 3 months ago
well good news gm is picking up the bill needs new timing chains is there any other things to have them check? Would switch to synthetic help

·
Registered
880 Posts
jimandamy said:
well good news gm is picking up the bill needs new timing chains is there any other things to have them check? Would switch to synthetic help
Glad to hear GM is standing behind their product. Switching to synthetic is a personal preference. There are many here that are using conventional (Dino) oil with great success. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and the AC Delco PF-63E filter a long time ago. Nearly 96K on the clock and still going strong.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
Glad to hear GM is standing behind their product. Switching to synthetic is a personal preference. There are many here that are using conventional (Dino) oil with great success. I switched to Pennzoil Platinum and the AC Delco PF-63E filter a long time ago. Nearly 96K on the clock and still going strong.
Thanks it has 90130 miles they have to drain oil anyway so it can't hurt to go synthetic

·
Registered
276 Posts
If you bought it from a Chevy dealer and the oil was changed they probably put synthetic in it. Or a synthetic blend.

·
Registered
608 Posts
My opinion, switch to synthetic and change by 7K if OLM does not prompt a change - when traded in my '10 never had the firmware updated so OLM would easily call for 10K+ intervals. Also consider starting around '12 they began to require Dexos, a GM synthetic blend.

And certainly good to know they are picking up the tab, though they **** well should as I believe they are required to have a 30 day (1k miles?) warranty on anything they sell to keep you from ending up with someone else's trade in headache.

·
Registered
880 Posts
]
NHRATA01 said:
Also consider starting around '12 they began to require Dexos, a GM synthetic blend.
AC Delco (Dexos) is a synthetic blend, and it could be that all Dexos labeled oil is at the very least a synthetic blend. There may be some exceptions. The Pennzoil Platinum I use is Dexos certified.

But Dexos is a specification just as THX is a specification (not a product) for audio and video products.

The dexos™ specification is uniquely designed to complement the exacting requirements of GM's advanced engine technology. The specification has gone through an extensive developmental and testing process. It requires a number of proprietary tests that are not included in current industry standards and sets performance criteria at a level that exceeds many current standards. The result is a high performance fluid providing significant wear protection, improved piston cleanliness, a reduction in volatility and oil consumption, enhanced aeration control for improved fuel efficiency, and better oxidation properties.[/color]

See more at http://www.centerforqa.com/dexos-about/.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Chevy Traverse which is in for service, the Car was skipping slightly and they said it needed a new Timing belt. 1 week later and now I am told a $3000.00 dollar bill? is this normal or is the dealership taking advantage

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
sounds about right.--- give or take. similar figures from others.

To raplace the chains on this engine, the engine/trans/front suspension has to be removed from the vehicle.

this is a time lapse video- a timing chain job on an Enclave. Same exact thing as the Traverse.

·
Registered
8 Posts
well the timing chain went out again and gm says they can't cover it this one only lasted 4 years was replaced the first time on October 14, 2016, I don't have a lot of faith in gm at this point for customer service sounds like a person in India call center.

·
Registered
34 Posts
well the timing chain went out again and gm says they can't cover it this one only lasted 4 years was replaced the first time on October 14, 2016, I don't have a lot of faith in gm at this point for customer service sounds like a person in India call center.
The underlying problem with abnormal wear on the engines and timing chains is due to GDI abrasive soot and fuel dilution, causing the oil viscosity to shear. API SP is supposed to help with it, but does not eliminate the problem. I installed a 2 micron by-pass filter to keep the abrasive soot to a minimum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So some background before I start...My grandfather was a Service Manager for a GM Dealership for roughly 40 years and he still goes back from time to time to ask about things. I sent him on a mission to find out what the Techs, Service Manager think since they tell him the "Truth" vs. what they would tell a common everyday customer like most of us....here is what he came back to me with....

He says: The techs and the Service mananager are seeing people waiting way to long to change thier oil.....in this case the way the engine is designed is with small holes for oil to get to the timing chain location....the tensioner is what wears out first with the very used oil which will cause the premature wear. He also said that there is a whole lot of people that have 2009's that have been changing thier oil at closer intervals (3000-4000 mi. like me) that are not having this issue. So the verdict from his service manager and techs, was CHANGE YOUR OIL MORE OFTEN, since it will be BY FAR the cheapest thing you can put in your car VS. $2000+ for a timing chain repair.

He also asked why the TSB for older and not newer. The Service Mananger told him that 2010's have the new programing for the ECM. Service Manager also told him there may be a few of the early manufactured 2010's with the old program in there. GM was waiting for a certain number of fails before reacting to the problem/ they were finding the best way to go about fixing this with out causing customers loss of vehicles for multiple days for a Timing Chain Recall. 45 mins for reprogram VS. 3-4 days for timing chain repair.

I know this is just what an old man told me but with his history of working for GM for 40 + years I have a tendency to sway his way on matters like this. Hope this helps and of course I can elaborate more if wanted. This is the Cliff Notes version...
2000.00 shoot Fairborn Ohio at Chevy wants 12000 an hr and said it's an 18 hr job and with tax and diagnostic and to fix the job is 3997.00 out the door. I can't afford that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most of the engine wear that is done to an engine is during start up , when all of the oil is cold and can't reached the farthest and smallest oil holes fast enough in the engine.
Why don't we use a lighter oil that allows for quicker flow during start up , like a 0W30 oil. By doing this the oil will get to those smaller and farther oil holes faster and quicker helping to reduce premature wearing of the timing chain and other components . It will cost a few dollars more/quart to use but it will help along with a very good oil filter.

I agree ,regular oil changes are a necessity to help prevent those small oil hole from blocking up . :thumb:
Well, the engines the American manufacturers build have internal engine component tolerances only good for 5W30, thinner oil, 0W30 would be to thin and the component failure would result. I personally use 0W30 Signature Series Amsoil with good results on my 2009 AWD LS Traverse and my 2020 AWD LS Traverse. The '09 has 230,000 miles and still runs strong with no rattle on startup here in Michigan. BTW, had one timeing chain replacement done at 47,000 mile courtesy of GM.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts