Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw the new Ford Explorer 2011 model on Ford's website. Has many features that my Traverse is lacking. What are your thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Looks great.

Its has some really nice features. Heated/cooled seats....my dad's Super Duty King Ranch has this feature, and it is very nice.

Also like the Hill assist to prevent you from rolling back, that has been a topic of discussion on here more than once!

Ford REALLY has their head in the game with their line up. 2011 Ford Super Duty is a home run, and this looks good too. Although it may put the Flex out of production. The Flex was our second choice.

All in all, I still really LOVE my Traverse, but I'm always eager to see what's new. This will only help GM make these great Lambda's even better!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I didn't read too much about features, but it looks to be too small to compare to the Lambdas. One article said Ford says it's no crossover, SUV all the way. Yea, right!

Finally something other than the Flex, though.

·
Registered
248 Posts
You can get the Traverse with heated & cooled seats; I have them and use them all the time. You can’t get them in the back like the Tahoe but you can get them in front. The Ford is quite a bit smaller but I would have to see it up close.

8) Steve

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes but it's nice to see Ford following GM instead of GM trying to keep up.

Plus why would they not try to add things GM left out.

It does look smaller.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Meh. Aside from the Mustang and maybe the Taurus SHO, ford has yet to wow me with a good-looking vehicle in a long time. This looks like another dull entry in the market. Say what you want about GM, but their design teams seem to take a lot more risks than Ford - or at least they pan out more often ;)

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Personally I think that the Flex is a risk. Not a very good one apparently, because they are not selling as many as they had hoped.

·
Registered
417 Posts
One word: Sync

EDIT: Oops, they changed it to "My Touch" Go go marketing team! ;)

Ford's has much better technology/electronics. Though I don't think I'd easily give up my Bose speakers. That said there is a LOT of technology in this new SUV. It's obviously an equal comparison to the Traverse, though somewhat also to the Equinox. I'm still shocked they will put an I4 engine in this guy.

I've only done preliminary reading so far. I'll post more thoughts later...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I was just comparing the specs on each model.

They are so close in dimensions, especially interior dimensions. I think these two could be brothers. I bet Ford is putting the Explorer head to head with the Traverse.

In a year or so they will make a Lincoln version to go up against the Enclave.

They Flex will fade into the history books.

That's how I see it.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
For is calling it an SUV and not a cross over so they can claim best fuel millage in class.

Even though it's a cross over.

·
Registered
66 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
For is calling it an SUV and not a cross over so they can claim best fuel millage in class.

Even though it's a cross over.
Is it based on a car chassis like the Lambdas and Thetas are?

·
Registered
277 Posts
The 2011 Explorer looks pretty too! I would be glad to have one side by side with the Traverse if I had the moolah!

Go American cars Go! I'm Asian but I surely love 'em American cars!

·
Registered
324 Posts
One thing the new Explorer should do is get some magazine coverage of the Traverse in a head to head test with Ford's new truck. I'm dying for some tests!

Regarding size, I guess it would have to be bigger than I'm thinking to separate it from the Edge. I get remarks from people that the Traverse is bigger than they thought once they get close to it, so maybe the Explorer IS comparable to the Traverse.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
odypilots said:
Regarding size, I guess it would have to be bigger than I'm thinking to separate it from the Edge. I get remarks from people that the Traverse is bigger than they thought once they get close to it, so maybe the Explorer IS comparable to the Traverse.
I get this a lot too. Friends of ours bought a Dodge Caravan and it is amazing to see how much bulkier the Traverse is than the Caravan. Seeing them individually you think the caravan is bigger, but the Traverse is taller, longer and wider. It is very deceiving.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I saw an advertisement online for the new Explorer, and wow, if imitation isn't the ultimate form of flattery.... the freaking thing LOOKS quite similar to the traverse!

The v6 engine does not have direct injection like ours does.

But with 'first run model years' ... I'm keeping a close eye on reports of the first adopters of this new truck. What problems will surface? What gas mileage will they get?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts