Traverse Forum banner

New find for me at least....

10K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  _-Steel-_ 
#1 ·
If you press the door lock button on the door before you exit the vehicle ( with keys in hand) you hear three chimes this is a automatic door lock it will automatically lock the door five seconds after the last door has been closed. pretty neat i thought. :thumb:

#2 ·
yup..
that the cars way of saying.... ding ding ding... are you sure you want to close the car doors? And do you have the keys in your hand...

The security light on the dash also comes on and flashes- until you close the door.

#4 ·
red426 said:
If you happen to leave the keys inside by doing this door locking method, at least have your cellphone, to get Onstar to unlock the car.
Has anyone done this? Called onstar to unlock their car? What do they ask you to verify that you are the owner and not someone who wants entry to your car! Not sure I like the idea that someone in a remote location can unlock my car! However I am sure I would like it if I locked myself out... but than again I wouldnt have the number to call onstar in my cell phone. Do you guys have that number programmed in your phone or how do you find it? located on the window maybe?

I really like the entry pad that ford has on their Vehicles, especially the lincoln verson that blends into the pilar and you cant even see it unless you touch it. Ford obviously has the patent on that? or why can't other companies do this?

#5 ·
I have used Onstar to unlock car... but it was on out 07 Impala...
Drove to a concert more than an hour away from home- parked in a parking structure...
I removed key from fob- (to carry the least in pockets). walked away-- forgot something-- went back and tried key-- for some reason- the key did not open the lock... the good thing is that the onstar manual has a decal that you place on your window (ours is on the lower right of windshield)- when I placed it there when we bought the car. ( i now also have it programmed into our cell phone too)
We used cellphone (that had crappy signal since we were in the middle of the parking structure).
But after 2 disconnected calls (I had to walk to the edge of the building). they verify your info (and you also givem then a code number you gave them when you registered)... in fact- I think I forgot it....ill have to retest one of these days...
but he sent the signal- and the door opened up. I took the key and fob this time.
When we got home- the other key opened door fine.... I compared keys- and they look identical.... no idea why that key doesnt work.....

But that saved us from having to call AAA- and them find us in this venue... or have a relative go fetch out keys and then drive them to us....
im not at all worried about someone using onstar to gain access to the car.

#6 ·
Your lucky they could open the locks remotely. They use a cellular signal as well and sometimes in those parking buildings they can't get a signal to the car. Same thing if you are in a remote area where there is no coverage, no onstar.

#7 ·
Good story, thanks. Glad it worked out for you. I guess the moral of the story is I have to put onstar into my cell phone just in case this happens. I dont remember giving onstar a pin number, but maybe the wife did and I didnt notice.

#8 ·
I remember giving a number when I set up the Impala...
dont remember giving a # for the Traverse....
Like I said- ill have to test it out one of these days...

as for the signal in the garage....
Now it makes sense... the cell phone had trouble in the garage.... but Onstar having a higher wattage transmitter/recvr had no trouble in the spot we were in. in the middle of the bldg on 4th floor or something like that.

#9 ·
rbarrios said:
I remember giving a number when I set up the Impala...
dont remember giving a # for the Traverse....
Like I said- ill have to test it out one of these days...

as for the signal in the garage....
Now it makes sense... the cell phone had trouble in the garage.... but Onstar having a higher wattage transmitter/recvr had no trouble in the spot we were in. in the middle of the bldg on 4th floor or something like that.
My dealer called Onstar when I was taking delivery of the Traverse, I spoke to Onstar and gave them info, at that time.

Bob

#12 ·
chicago said:
i used onstar to lock my car once i park a mile away from work and knew i left it unlocked so i called and bada boom bada bing "you can rest assured your vehicle is locked now sir" the rest was history pretty cool...
Pretty cool. Now if only you could call onstar from a mile away and tell them to drive the car to where you are! Now THAT would be awesome.

#14 ·
Tiestosteele said:
Has anyone done this? Called onstar to unlock their car? What do they ask you to verify that you are the owner and not someone who wants entry to your car! Not sure I like the idea that someone in a remote location can unlock my car! However I am sure I would like it if I locked myself out... but than again I wouldnt have the number to call onstar in my cell phone. Do you guys have that number programmed in your phone or how do you find it? located on the window maybe?
I was stupid locking the keys inside in my garage and had to call OnStar to unlock the door. The car was registered under my wife's name and I just flatly told the OnStar guy that "can't you just see the car is inside my house?" :) I don't remember if, at first, what I gave him our home phone#, my wife's name, or some other identifiable info; I did tell him that I just stopped the engine a couple minutes ago, he unlocked my car and I thanked him for it.

#15 ·
lxc said:
I was stupid locking the keys inside in my garage and had to call OnStar to unlock the door. The car was registered under my wife's name and I just flatly told the OnStar guy that "can't you just see the car is inside my house?" :) I don't remember if, at first, what I gave him our home phone#, my wife's name, or some other identifiable info; I did tell him that I just stopped the engine a couple minutes ago, he unlocked my car and I thanked him for it.
Get your own PIN code registered in your name, so you don't appear to be a thief. :angryfire:

Look at it fromOnStars position.....have you ever seen or heard of a car being taken out of the owners garage? I have.

bob

#16 ·
chicago said:
i used onstar to lock my car once i park a mile away from work and knew i left it unlocked so i called and bada boom bada bing "you can rest assured your vehicle is locked now sir" the rest was history pretty cool...
I used to take a light rail to work and before ONSTAR if you got to work and thought "did I hear the horn for the door locks?" you either had sick feeling in your gut wondering if my truck is going to be stripped out or gone? Or loose a few hours of pay, if you can leave work to go check to see if it was locked. Just the peace of mind you get when the rep says your doors are locked makes it worth having. Plus the other parts of it that you hope you never have to use are also great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.