Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me the TSB number for the corrosion on the rims? I thought I only had one but 2 other rims are getting it around the center cap. I just want to be prepared for a battle at the dealership. They shouldn't give me a hard time but you never know.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that I ran across the number once and can't find it again. There may not be one but I'm sure I read it somewhere.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link Quantum. I thought there was a TSB but I guess not.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Traverse is going in Monday to have all 4 wheels refinished. They said it will be there "a few weeks". The dealer said GM is having them sent back in place of replacement. For me it would have been all 4 rims for replacement. Let you guys know how it works out. Start checking your rims now. 3 of mine corroded around the center cap and one is on the spokes. You can see it but if you run your finger over it its smooth showing its under the clear coat. I'll get pics up before it goes in.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kawazar said:
My Traverse is going in Monday to have all 4 wheels refinished. They said it will be there "a few weeks". The dealer said GM is having them sent back in place of replacement. For me it would have been all 4 rims for replacement. Let you guys know how it works out. Start checking your rims now. 3 of mine corroded around the center cap and one is on the spokes. You can see it but if you run your finger over it its smooth showing its under the clear coat. I'll get pics up before it goes in.
Did you mean to say a "few days" ?

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, they said weeks. Remove rims, dismount tires, crate, ship, refinish, returned, remount tires and rims. They said 2 to 3 weeks.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
kawazar said:
No, they said weeks. Remove rims, dismount tires, crate, ship, refinish, returned, remount tires and rims. They said 2 to 3 weeks.
Wow, I would be worried about where / how my Traverse is sitting at the dealership for those "few weeks" during the refinishing. Surely there isn't a shortage of Traverse wheels that they couldn't just send you 4 new ones, and then send these in like a core.

Just a questionl, as I have seen a few different people having problems with the clear coats on the wheels. Do you guys wax or paint seal your wheels? I have always used a paint sealer ( good for clear coats as well ) on my wheels, and I have never had a problem with any factory rim. This is something I would seriously consider to those of you who haven't had this issue yet, or have had the wheeels replaced/refinished. My Traverse doesn't have 200 miles on it, and it already has a good coat of paint sealer and wax on the rims and paint.

One more thing. I would have half the mind if this happened to me, to just send the wheels off to get them chromed. No more problems, except you would be out the $$ for chroming, and warranty, but I'd rather have the chrome wheels anyways. ;)

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I polish them with car polish about once a month. But in the winter (Jan and Feb) I was unable to. I don't believe the polishing helps as the dealer told me its a prep problem prior to the clearcoat being applied. That why you can see the corrosion but can't feel it with your finger.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts