Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! First thread here and I searched but didn't come up with this info - so pardon me if this has been covered before:

I have the 2011 Traverse LS AWD and need to add the spare tire to it - I was told (incorrectly) by the dealer that he would be able to add it on later for $100 but as it turns out, that's just the cost of the spare tire itself. I'm told I need to get almost $1k worth of parts to be able to put a spare on the car! I have looked at gmpartsdirect and they have the hoist (spare carrier), bolt and shield BUT its for a 09-10 model.

I wanted to ask if anyone knew what all parts I would need to get the spare added on and whether the 09-10 parts would work for my '11?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
hate to hear these stories about the salesman said it could be added for $XXX later.

yes its going to be the tire and the hardware to lower/raise the tire into the stow position.
ALso- these parts may include the jack.
But FYI-- for people who have the jack/spare tire combo... there is a METAL cable/CHAIN included in the storage compartment.. where the jack goes..
this cable is used to hold down your FULL size flat spare in the area behind the 3rd row seat...
it has some attachments that hold the ends of the cable to the lock tab for the tailgate..
This is so that in theres an acciddent-- the full size flat- does not become a large projectile inside the car--- or get tosses around in a rollover type accident.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
rbarrios said:
hate to hear these stories about the salesman said it could be added for $XXX later.

yes its going to be the tire and the hardware to lower/raise the tire into the stow position.
ALso- these parts may include the jack.
But FYI-- for people who have the jack/spare tire combo... there is a METAL cable/CHAIN included in the storage compartment.. where the jack goes..
this cable is used to hold down your FULL size flat spare in the area behind the 3rd row seat...
it has some attachments that hold the ends of the cable to the lock tab for the tailgate..
This is so that in theres an acciddent-- the full size flat- does not become a large projectile inside the car--- or get tosses around in a rollover type accident.
thanks for the info - I was away on a trip and the wife went to pick the car up. Had I known it wasn't on there, I would have refused delivery. I trusted the dealer to do right....I still have the satisfaction survey to fill out so maybe I might peruse the "comments" section ;D

But anyways, I wanted to have the spare mounted under the car in the rear...these parts are interchangeable between the 09,10 and 11 models correct?

A

·
0 Posts
VA_doc said:
Hi! First thread here and I searched but didn't come up with this info - so pardon me if this has been covered before:

I have the 2011 Traverse LS AWD and need to add the spare tire to it - I was told (incorrectly) by the dealer that he would be able to add it on later for $100 but as it turns out, that's just the cost of the spare tire itself. I'm told I need to get almost $1k worth of parts to be able to put a spare on the car! I have looked at gmpartsdirect and they have the hoist (spare carrier), bolt and shield BUT its for a 09-10 model.

I wanted to ask if anyone knew what all parts I would need to get the spare added on and whether the 09-10 parts would work for my '11?

Thanks in advance!!
So instead of the spare; do you have the tire inflation stuff you're supposed to inject into the flat?

Another thought; I would think any model of an AWD vehicle would have a spare of some sort

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I dont think theres been any changes to the body- so the 09,10 stuff should fit.
THe LS models come with the can of inflator spray.
The only way the LS comes with the spare tire--- is when you order the factory tow hitch... that automatically adds the spare...

I think you can also selectively add the spare tire package-- but im not sure about this..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AA/78U said:
So instead of the spare; do you have the tire inflation stuff you're supposed to inject into the flat?

Another thought; I would think any model of an AWD vehicle would have a spare of some sort
That was the kicker - no inflation goop, it just had the air pump...bought myself a can of fix-a-flat for mental peace...well this is an AWD but no such luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rbarrios said:
I dont think theres been any changes to the body- so the 09,10 stuff should fit.
THe LS models come with the can of inflator spray.
The only way the LS comes with the spare tire--- is when you order the factory tow hitch... that automatically adds the spare...

I think you can also selectively add the spare tire package-- but im not sure about this..
I thought so too - saw somewhere that the only change was an interior cosmetic one..I'm going to try another dealer and see if they can be of some help. Otherwise, I will have to get it from the online store. Is there any reputable online GM store that this forum recommends?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
There is a forum sponsor over on the Acadia forum who also is involved in a large auto salvage company. The company is Schram Auto, and I believe his user name over there is just Schram. I have purchased used late model GM parts from them for years, even well before these boards.

Before spending top dollar on new parts, you might want to check salvage yards for used parts. Another source to check for used is car-parts.com.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I think that this is another case of the salesman wanting to make a sale. If it can be added, it isn't gonna be easy or as cost effective as the factory installed option would be. I would check a salvage yard for the parts (a u pull it might also get you a view at what it looks like installed).

Are you in a location that AAA or somebody can't make it to you easilly? I think for the cost to install this you could pay for a few years of AAA or similar membership.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks you guys for all the help...I will check on the salvage yard option first as that was what I wanted to do but a quick check online didn't yield anything.

Actually I do intend to get AAA just for this reason. But this has happened with me once - on our previous lease, I got a flat early in the morning and called AAA - they said it would be 2 hrs to get someone over to me since it was that early AM..I was on call so ended up changing the tire out myself and was on my way. That scenario is what gets to me - stranded somewhere waiting on AAA....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ls973800 said:
There is a forum sponsor over on the Acadia forum who also is involved in a large auto salvage company. The company is Schram Auto, and I believe his user name over there is just Schram. I have purchased used late model GM parts from them for years, even well before these boards.

Before spending top dollar on new parts, you might want to check salvage yards for used parts. Another source to check for used is car-parts.com.
TY for this info! I just pm'ed him so hopefully I should be able to get some info. Thanks again!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts