Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At startup, my 2014 traverse hesitates, almost stutters. If I turn the key without starting it and wait until all the alerts and such go off, then start, it’s fine. If I just start it first thing in the morning, it hesitated. Recently installed new plugs, coil packs are fine, replaced evap purge control valve, changed engine air filter and changed oil. It seems to me this could be fuel related, but I’m not really sure where to start liking. I though about checking fuel pump pressure, but not totally sure I need to. Any ideas?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Sure sounds like it's fuel related. Try opening switch and waiting a few seconds, turn off, repeat then start. If you start right up you have self diagnosed your issue.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
At start up since it is a direct injection the fuel mixture is ritcher than when the engine is warm. I can see this specially in winter when the first seconds there is a dark smoke at the tail pipe and the fuel mixture is much ritcher causing the engine speed to fluctuate. Then after aprx 5 to 10 seconds everything is okay.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@IH8SPM How would that work? When you say open a switch, do you mean just turning the key like I was without starting, then shutting off, and then doing it again?
@Capucine I don't have any black smoke. It isn't very cold either.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Correct, if you suspect the pump opening and closing the ignition switch primes the pump delivering a higher level of fuel if the pump is failing. If it's working fine this won't happen or help you.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, all last week I did the thing where I turn the key on, then off, then start and there is NO hesitation every morning. Sunday I started just starting it and the hesitation is back.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
The dark smoke at the tail pipe is only when the temperature is very cold in winter because the mixture is very ritch.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sure sounds like it's fuel related. Try opening switch and waiting a few seconds, turn off, repeat then start. If you start right up you have self diagnosed your issue.

I tried this morning. There was still a hesitation or stutter starting up, not as bad as yesterday though. SO what is the issue I've self-diagnosed?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
278 Posts
Turning ignition to run and pausing 5-10 seconds allows the fuel pump to prime the system before turning to crank / start.
Could be fuel pressure is dropping somewhat more when stopped for long periods as there are check valves in the fuel pump to help retain some pressure on shut down. Also a possible leaky or seeping injector also which could create the black smoke on start up by letting excess fuel through when engine is off.
How many miles are on it ?
A quality fuel injector cleaner, one with PEA in it, like Gumout or Techron will not hurt and I would try running a couple tanks of gas though it with a cleaner first before looking at fuel pressures or other issues.

·
Registered
180 Posts
A failing crank position sensor can create similar symptoms. Easy for a mechanic to check it out and it is not an expensive part to replace.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Have you ran any Techtron through? Try a couple of bottles, 20oz. Run one through , skip a tankful and try another. Just my 02. Then if you still have issues get a Bluetooth OBD2 scanner and check your vitals especially high and low side fuel pressures.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@electbc I have run the lucas fuel treatment.
Guys, how do I check if it's a valve or something? I have no real equipment like to test it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Do you have anyone that is handy, if not you may be forced to see a mechanic if it gets worse.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Do you have anyone that is handy, if not you may be forced to see a mechanic if it gets worse.

My dad, but he's having open heart surgery tomorrow, so he's out. I think some odb2 sencors have a fuel pressure reading, I probably need to buy one.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
278 Posts
On the Malibu forum guys are using BlueDriver. Uses your phone with their app to read the OBD port plug in dongle they sell and reads all the code families as just P codes isn't enough.
It's only $100

Reactions: bigvince
1 - 20 of 75 Posts