Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have a 2010 LS, w/ a factory radio. I really wanted the touch screen radio but it was way too much $$.

I am looking to upgrade, but I want to make sure I can still use my XM/OnStar/ and my steering wheel buttons with the new radio.

Does anyone have any recommendations; and is it possible to purchase a GM touch screen radio?

·
Premium Member
2,043 Posts
Have you done a search on this forum?

I know there are a couple threads going on about radios/sound systems. I don't really follow them, so I don't know the details, but I know that they exist.

Regards,
Mark

A

·
0 Posts
RJ452010 said:
Hey guys I have a 2010 LS, w/ a factory radio. I really wanted the touch screen radio but it was way too much $$.

I am looking to upgrade, but I want to make sure I can still use my XM/OnStar/ and my steering wheel buttons with the new radio.

Does anyone have any recommendations; and is it possible to purchase a GM touch screen radio?
When you say touch screen; are you referring to a NAV radio? If you are; best bet would be to get a factory NAV unit; this will give you the best compatability with XM/OnStar etc

·
Registered
36 Posts
The GM touch screen navigation radios use an amp and will sound low if you install it. try the new ROSEN radio they will retain the onstar and XM and add Bluetooth to you car and you wont need an AMP.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have an LS the first thing I did was upgrade the speakers. The LS has cheap paper speakers and they sound awful. Just by changing them out it's made a big improvement.

I now have a Kenwood KAC-8405 4 channel amp coming in. This will be my second upgrade and should get the factory to pound now.

I'm going to try it with this configuration for a while and then I may change out the head unit last.

The main issues with the LS base radio is the speakers and the week output. Even with the speakers upgraded I can run the system at full volume and it's loud but not uncomfortably loud.

I will update once I get the amp installed. My goal is to see if you can get the base radio working better with just a few upgrades.

My next upgrade after this my be a second 4 channel amp and then adding the back row speakers and a sub of some sort.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Are you saying I will loose Onstar and the XM???? There is know way... I'm cutting the amp in after the factory head unit. I have already bypassed the system this way for the Bluetooth. So I know the XM and Onstar will keep working.

Unless you where commenting on something else.

·
Registered
186 Posts
do you have an update on the sound of the stock head unit? i would like to see if just changing out the speakers, and possibly adding third row speakers (according to the excellent instructions from a previous thread) would improve my sound enough...i feel like the stock radio in my 1lt has no highs and no volume, but i really don't want to get into adding amps and subs....too intrusive, the car's only a month old.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but the subject of new speakers is related here.

I have the Bose Sat Nav and I would like new speakers. Mine definitely exhibit distortion and buzz at much lower volume levels than one would expect. No idea what I might swap them for, but something.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I've already done a speaker upgrade and it made a big improvement. In the lows mid's and the base. I can now listen to music with low volume and it sounds good and I can here the vocals.

So yeas upgrading the speakers works wonders.

I'm going with the amp now because I just plain want more volume. Radio is still hard to hear when going down the highway with all the windows open.

·
Registered
272 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
I've already done a speaker upgrade and it made a big improvement. In the lows mid's and the base. I can now listen to music with low volume and it sounds good and I can here the vocals.

Was that with the base radio or the Bose? I planned on adding 3rd row speakers and upgrade the stock ones on my base radio.

·
Registered
186 Posts
big blue has stock, non-Bose head unit

1 - 14 of 14 Posts