Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Traverse in for its first service this week (no, i didn't take it to church). The front and centre power outlets haven't worked since I got it, and the steering made a crunching noise ??? every time I turned the wheel. They are replacing the power steering pump.

Anyone else hear of this problem? ;D

·
Registered
994 Posts
Gibby said:
and the steering made a crunching noise ??? every time I turned the wheel. They are replacing the power steering pump.

Anyone else hear of this problem? ;D
Yup. Check the Acadia and Enclave forum.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Yea mine Traverse sometimes acts funny when I turn the wheel. It acts like it might be low on fluid. It dosen't do it all the time but I have to go back to the dealer for a recall and have em ck. it out.

·
Registered
994 Posts
whoadogwhoa said:
Yea mine Traverse sometimes acts funny when I turn the wheel. It acts like it might be low on fluid.
After reading other Lambda forums I checked my PS fluid reservoir and it was under filled from the factory. The consensus was to slightly overfill. I did just that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys :thumb: I will check the fluid before they do the potentially unnecessary work.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A few tips for you from the Service Manual;

1. Make sure the fluid is hot to check the fluid level;
Run the engine until the fluid reaches about 80C (170F), then turn the engine off. Inspect the fluid level on the capstick, and ensure that the level is at the Hot/Full/Max mark on the capstick. If it's low, more fluid needs to be added.
(The owner's manual says to allow the engine to cool to room temperature and the level should be between MAX & MIN)

2. Inspect the fluid for the following indications of contamination;
  • Milky fluid - water
  • Brown fluid - burnt
  • Plastic debris or dirt chunks
If it is contaminated, the system needs to be flushed.

And here's one that isn't in the owner's manual, but I've seen a number of people do when they are backing into a parking spot;
3. CAUTION: Do not hold the steering wheel in the full turn position longer than 5 seconds, as damage to the steering pump may result.

The Service Manual has a 13 step test for leaks, a 17 step test for Rattle, Clunk, or Shudder Noise, and a 11 step test for Whine or Growl noise.
But nothing about "crunching" - so I'd suggest picking one of the bolded terms that's already in the Service Manual that the tech can follow.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts