Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am rapidly becoming disenchanted with the Navigation Radio in my Traverse. In particular, the voice control system on the nav side leaves a heck of a lot to be desired. Some folks say it's my British accent but I don't think so because the radio control and bluetooth work fine. There must be over 90% of the navigation commands listed in the manual which simply do not work and result in that annoying phrase " No speech detected - voice recognition cancelled".

I now read in another forum that other people are having the same problem and one has been advised that GM are revising the navigation manual to delete all reference to these commands. In other words, they are giving up trying to fix the issue. Thanks a bunch, GM

I must admit I have been rather spoiled by the superb nav system in my Genesis and I am now seriously thinking of swapping out the Traverse unit for one that works, such as the big Pioneer unit.

That will not be easy as many signal wires will have to be tracked down and identified. I would like, if possible to use the existing XM antenna, the back-up camera and the microphone. The last two must enter the existing radio somehow. There are three multi-pin connectors at the back of the radio - do any of you know the pin-out diagrams for these connectors? Any advice would be much appreciated before I embark on this project.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
sucks...
I was also going to mentions that I too had read about the owner who was told about the pages being changed/deleted.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh yes, it came with a separate Nav-Radio manual. A fairly bulky one - now apparently due to get slimmer!

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't use the voice part of the nav in my Trav. Only because I never spent the time to learn how to use it. Overall, I'd call the Nav "acceptable". I still use nav occasionally though. It does fail from time to time.

It still kills me that ALL car makers charge so much for in dash nav when handheld units are 1/10th the cost and usually better! I'd rather see GM farm out the NAV software (kind of like Ford did with Microsoft) and get it done right. Not to mention probably bring down the price considerably. Flash based nav is way overdue in GM products. It'd probably cut their cost considerably just to get rid of the DVD drive for the nav alone.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts