Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took my 2020 Traverse into the dealer to that ambient air temp sensor replaced. It was giving eroneous readings causing the A/C compressor to not kick on. These readings ran anywhere from 95 to -40.

So while on the way home I noticed that the millage on the odometer had jumped from 1270 miles to 101710 miles.

Have anyone heard of this happening before?

The paperwork from this morning when I dropped it off showed 1270 miles so it's documented.

The service dept is flabergasted. Obviously this is odd since correcting the mileage would be "rolling back" which is illegal and would total the title.

Ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Seems like the service department would be able to correct the mileage based on the reading recorded when you dropped it off for service. Minor correction for miles added between that time and when you take it back for correction. Suggest taking a photo of reading now in order to determine the miles added between now and service to correct--assuming it doesn't arbitrarily jump again.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I believe I saw a thread recently that says the mileage is actually stored in the BCM. Not sure if that helps you or not.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
176 Posts
Service dept should be contacting Chevy engineering on that one. They will direct them on what to do.
As everything is documented on a new vehicle Mfgr can correct a erroneous mileage reading as there is a component failure and a false mileage calculation is also illegal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I believe I saw a thread recently that says the mileage is actually stored in the BCM. Not sure if that helps you or not.
I'm guessing BCM means body control module? Would that ambient temp sensor be tied in with the BCM?
I know they had to get the part from another Chevy dealer in Monroe, LA (my dealer is in another town.?
A friend of mine asked if maybe the part was used and had history of another Traverse in it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Service dept should be contacting Chevy engineering on that one. They will direct them on what to do.
As everything is documented on a new vehicle Mfgr can correct a erroneous mileage reading as there is a component failure and a false mileage calculation is also illegal.
We've spent a lot of money there, well a lot to us. Since 2016 we've bought two new tahoes, a new malibu and the new traverse. That's probably nothing to this board (or the dealer) but it is to my wife and I. If something to my satisfaction isn't proposed by the end of next week, I'll have to more drastic measures.
And all of this is due to having my vehicle repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Yes. BCM is Body Control Module.

I would NOT expect it to have been a used part if it was replaced under warranty. That would certainly be unscrupulous.

But something they did clearly impacted the mileage and they need to take responsibility for it. It would be real tough to sell it even in a few years if the clock says it's got >101K mi on it. And you'll have to 'fess up to the fact that the mileage isn't accurate; and if it isn't accurate, what is it REALLY?

I had kind of the opposite issue with my '84 Audi 4000. They worked on something in the dash and then the speedometer and odometer stopped working. Unlike your issue, there was no way to really prove that they did it. This was after the warranty had run out; I think it had about 45K on it. They offered to sell me a new speedo, but it would start at 0 mi. The tach still worked, so I could estimate my speed. I had mileage records since I had purchased it, so I could estimate my mileage by how much gas I bought. Since I fully expected to keep the car a long time (ended up being 10 yrs), I just lived with it. At 10 years and over 140K, I donated the car and didn't worry about losing any $$ on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts