Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 Monte Carlo SS, Supercharged, 55k on the clock. After spending some time on AutoGeek, I decided to give it the full detail which took 6.5 hours. If you've never used a claybar before, I highly recommend it! It took stains out that my buffer could not, even while using a heavy cut compound. The paint looks better than new ;D

I'm tired, it's :beer: time!

Attachments

·
Registered
407 Posts
Beautiful ride! Why they got rid of the Monte Carlo I'll never understand. It looks great....only question: Why 6.5 hrs to detail a car? That seems a bit much. My brother-in-law detailed our Bonneville, wash, clay bar, wax, interior detail, and I think he speant about 3 hrs. Yours must have needed more work than ours? That yellow looks great on that car, keep it....could be a collectable car some day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Enclave.
Why 6.5 hours? Unfortunately yellow shows every piece of road debris (tar, bug stains, etc) so after 5 years of neglect it took some time to clean all that stuff off, especially the lower door panels. I spent about 5.25 on just the exterior(wash,claybar,buff,wax), the interior got the shampoo & leather treatment... I'm sure if I would have kept up with it over the years, this would have been closer to 3.5 - 4 hours. It really wasn't neglected though, It's always been washed/waxed/garaged but I never went to this level of detailing before. :cheers:

Now if I could just figure out the best way to fix the rock chips and have them look good.....

·
Registered
407 Posts
I understand, never had a yellow vehicle before. My Enclave is a little over a year old, and haven't waxed it yet...it's in the garage most the time, and only has 7400 miles on it. Will most likely have my brother-in-law do the detail on it before winter. (he charges $100 for complete detail, has all the materials, he used to work at a car dealership detail area) I hate waxing cars, and I don't hand wash anymore...just don't have the desire, and it's so much easier paying $4.00 to run the car thru the automatic wash, and it looks 99% as good as I could do with hand washing it, so I'm pretty much done with spending up to an hour washing it in the driveway...for $4.00 I don't think that's much, and we probably get it (Enclave) washed once or twice a month in the summer, (more if it's been in rain, sap from trees, etc.) and about 3 to 4 times a month in the winter. Add in my wife's Bonneville, which usually is once a month wash in summer, and twice a month in winter (since she drives it to work, it's usually dirty a lot in the winter, so doesn't get a chance to stay clean).

I figure auto washes cost us, at the most, considering total for both vehicles to be 6 washes per month: $24 per month, $288 per year. (add in one full detail per car once a year from my brother-in-law 2 X $100=$200) That's $488 just for appearance care, which I don't think this is unreasonable, some may. (haven't figured out gas, and oil changes....that would be harder to do)

My point to all this....not much, just pointing out that if you have the time, and enjoy hand washing your vehicles, more power to you. (but if you're lazy like me, it doesn't have to cost too much)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts