Traverse Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

After talking about the Lockpick products for a while I decided to bite into this. I order the Gen 6 Lockpick along with the iPod Lockpick for just over $300. I was sorta concerned abou the iPod part due to some bad things I read, but this new price from Coastal almost made it free, as the Gen 6 used to be $350 alone.

The Gen 6 Lockpick install was very straight forward, and there are some posts here and in the Enclave/Acadia forums that go over it quite well. The Gen 6 unit will fit under the radio in the little pocket where the wires run to all the center dash controls, but it is a test in tucking a fitting things into a very very tight space.

Here's the parts for the Gen 6 Lockpick

Here it is in the dash already installed. It does fit. See the Lockpick unit under the right side of the radio, and the plug wires very squished into under the left side?

Now for the iPod Lockpick install...

Here's what came with the iPod Lockpick

I guess the jellybeans are for the energy you'll need to get this job done :)

First, what everyone has said about the XM tuner plug is true. It's a pain in the ass, but only if you don't know what you are doing. It took me over 1 hour to get it out. Getting the jack out alone is frustrating, so bad on GM for making this such a pain.

Here's the location of the plug. I've not removed the jack yet, the black metal on bottom, and it's hard to see the plug from this pic. And behind another group of multicolor wires. It's basically almost against the outer wall of the quarter panel, so getting to it does require some stretching. You have to go around the motor for the door, if you have an auto opening door. Then behind another electronic box with plugs going down from it. The last plugs while reaching back are the single antenna wire, and the plug you need. It's a reach.

Getting it out was not as easy as you would think at first. Since I had only knowledge from this and other forums, I thought I was ready. NOPE! The only clue that really helped me in the end was talk about a "Blue clip". At first I didn't see this clip, and feeling around back there made me think there was only a press latch to squeeze to pull the plug out.

Here's better pictures of the clip

First the clip in closed position

Then how you need to grap the clip, or use something on the side to pull it this far out

Then the clip out. Once the clip is in this position, you can then squeeze the keeper in front of the clip to let the plug loose and pull it down and out.

Now that I know how to do this, it will probably take me only 2 minutes to do it again. :( That clip is facing away from you, and is almost impossible to see, so you have to do it all by feel.

The next step was to figure out where to put the iPod Lockpick. I decided to put it on top of the wheelwell as that would put it as close to the front as possible due to the short cable included. Here it is in place. The arm rest on top of the wheel well simple pops out allowing you access to this area quite easily. I later added some foam padding around it to keep it from rattling.

Next came the cable routing. This was easy too, only because the supplied cable was way too short so I had to place it where I could get to it but still reach the driver. I first started down the front of the wheel well. See the other cables there?

Then I went to the back driver side door and pulled up the trim. The pillar plastic next to the back seat also pulls out quite easily to see the wheel well and grab the cable there. Then under the pillar plasted next to the driver seat and forward.

Here's the final location of the cable and connector for the iPod. Or in my case the iPhone.

No, this is not great. But it's at least easy to reach to plug in my iPhone. If the cable were another 2 foot longer, it might be easy to route the cable to the center console. From this problem alone, I might recommend considering other makers of iPod adapters, as I now understand they have much longer cables. Forutunately, you don't have to touch the iPhone while using it through the XM tuner. You can basically plug it in and forget it. But if I did need to access the iPhone for whatever reason, it would need to be unplugged.

Next post will include the operation of both units and my thoughts.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, now what I think of the products. The Gen 6 Lockpick operation in my vehicle so far has been very spotty. And, I've not been able to get the rear view camera operation to work. When I turn on the camera, the display shows "camera needs service". The camera still works and turns on while in reverse. but the Lockpick will not turn it on. I'll need to call Coastal Tech on that one. There is a hint that it should be solvable by connecting one specific wire, but the link to that fix: http://www.coastaletech.com/acadia.htm is not working. :(

The iPod Lockpick works well. It does have some oddities. The iPhone complains that the device plugged into it is not compatible. But the iPod Lockpick does control it anyway. I can move up and down through songs, artists, albums and play lists quite easily. One oddity in control, is the buttons on screen look greyed out. They still function but you won't get any feedback that they were pressed when switching between song/artist/album, just switch back to the play screen and the up/down via knob or buttons does flow through whatever you chose for it to do. The sound output out of my iPhone now is 100 times better than using the audio cable method. That alone makes it worth this trouble to me. The unit is also very fast. It changes through songs very quickly, with a slight pause before the song starts. That pause doesn't affect song flipping though. My wife has a Equinox with iPod connectivity built into it from GM. It's slow. Very slow to navigate. This unit is completely different and much much faster.

Over all I'm not fully pleased though. If I can't get the rear camera option to work, I may send both of the units back. And, if I do I'll turn around and get the Scosche AXIPGMLAN unit. It costs around $110 on Amazon, and has a much much longer cable to it. Some say it's song navigation is a lot better too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I was really bummed when I found out there was no iPod integration available for the NAV radio. But, I have a short AUX cable that I plug in to the dash and listen to my iPod and iPhone. It works fine. Not as elegant a setup as I'd prefer, but it's reliable and doesn't interfere with any of the OE systems.

Reluctantly, I think I'll leave well-enough alone.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts