Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there folks!

I use to visit here back in 2009 through 2012 or so but since forgot my previous account info so just created a new one. Ah well... For what I'll be presenting here, please know that I've done all the due diligence as seemingly possible. I've done stenuous google searches, youtube searches, bulletin searches along with in-forum/in-message board exclusive searches with plenty to get insight from while other results either weren't quite clear or simply not very helpful. My problems are much like many here have posted in the past. Those I strongly believe are from water seeping in somewhere. Surely as you read this many other threads from this very place come to mind. I too know of them as I've read them.

Anyhow....after getting my 2009 LS timing chain repaired under the 100K/5yr warranty...everything looked to be running just fine. We're nearing 80K miles. With that one exception of the timing chain, the Traverse had been an extremely reliable vehicle. And still is from a mechanical standpoint. However, recently (for about a year now), in progressive fashion along with other intermittent issues......things have gotten worse with electrical issues.

1. Radio is VERY dim. It's the LS model radio. This has been the case for about a year now. Crazy thing is that I thought the screen had gone completely kaput until recently, under very focused examination, I see that the display is there but every so slightly....so dim, as if almost non-existent and barely there. As dim as one could imagine. I was pretty surprised by that. This is only but a big inconvenience as the radio has worked, albeit with us controlling it like blind folks and taking wild guesses as to what stations we were tuning into. Not a safety issue which was something I've been able to live with. All this time I've just chucked it up to being an old unit, in need of replacing and eventually I'd get around to it. Due to the other issues we've experienced lately I'm not so sure that's the case any longer. It could very well be correlated to the overall culprit, but could also be an isolated problem and very well be only due to it being a 6 year old model. I don't know. Thing is, in all my searching...I've yet to find someone with this very same issue, regardless of there being a fix or none at all. Everywhere I've searched, no one has brought this up which is somewhat strange to me. I suppose bringing it up myself could let any lurkers know that they're not alone and it being addressed here could hopefully shed some light on the matter.

2. Unable to control passenger side rear window from driver door control. This issue sprung up about a year ago as well. I roll down the rear passenger side window...no problems. Try to raise it back up...no cigar. "hmm" I say to myself. What I did was simply raise the window from the control of the same door. I reach back to the passenger side rear door and raise up the window. Some time goes by and then it gets to the point that I'm no longer able to even roll it down like before. However, full control of said window is present from the very door itself. The it progresses into worse, but luckily not permanent. What happens is that we lower the passenger side rear window from it's very own control....success. But we notice that it won't go back up using it's door panel control. Very worrisome of course but as I stated previously....luckily it wasn't permament and after a while the control to raise the window worked and I've made strict orders to my family to not control that window AT ALL until we're able to resolve this. I PMed with rbarrios regarding this matter and he gave me some pointers which I'll get around to working on. Experimenting a bit, with a series of several sunny and hot days with no rain whatsoever recently, I wanted to see if the issue would get resolved in case water seeping into the wiring was the root cause of the issue. The results are that the window do go up and down from it's own door mounted control. Attempting to control it from the driver door control still isn't possible.

3. No sound from speakers, only get sound from tweeters. This too has been a problem that's progressively gotten worse. When I did my searches and with the help from many of you here (thank you by the way), the source of the issue seems to be water reaching the connection points between the door and the pillars. Back when it started I had no idea it would lead up to the point to where it has. First it started (as I'm sure was the case with all the others experiencing the very same thing) with a speaker here or there intermittently going out and then back on. A few speakers seemed to take turns doing this. At times the sound was very underwhelming...it lacked that oomph then out of nowhere and for a minute or so...wow....the sound was very good given due to sound coming back on to those particular speakers that were going out and on. Then just like that...speaker goes out, sound is back to underwhelming yet again. Then I notice a speaker finally goes out for good. Then another. Then another. It got to the point where my wife asks me to approach the Traverse, lowers the passenger side window as says, "How do you like my sound system? This is how I'm having to 'jam' from now on" with sound only coming from the front tweeters. I couldn't believe how bad it got. I knew the problem was progressively getting worse but never thought it would get that bad. So fast forward to today, present day and the sound is all there. As aforementioned, we've had a series of hot and sunny days with no rain whatsoever here in Houston and to my surprise, the speakers are working and the sound is actually 'moving'...lol. Back a lil more than a week ago when I found many others on the net were experiencing this problem, I checked that connection between the doors and surely enough....quite a bit of water gushed out as I pointed them downward and shook them. This is undoubtedly the culprit.

Ultimately...my concern is safety. An almost dead screened radio, an intermittently non-functioning window or speakers aren't safety concerns in the least bit as they're only features. My fear however is that these issues we are experiencing now are a sign of things to come. Given how dependent on technology and electrical components modern vehicles have become, I worry that these electrical components becoming nonfunctional due to water damage could prove life-threatening if they were to affect the controlling mechanisms such as traction control system, air bags or even awareness components like turn signals and/or brake lights, etc....

I don't know if I'm bringing anything new to the table or not or if this could turn into a resource for others in helping them resolve similar issues. What I do know is that I appreciate the knowledge you all have shared on previous threads with the same problems to which I've been able to benefit from by lurking around and would be most grateful for those that take time to shed some further knowledge, fixes or experiences here in this thread.

When looking on the roof and examining the roof rack assembly that run the length of the roof, I'm wondering if those bolts not being sealed properly could be allowing water to seep in, make their way down the door pillars and contacting the electrical joints or other housings. I'd like to take advantage of the warm, sunny weather to go out and get some waterproof sealant to put on those bolts but don't know which sealant in particular would work best. I'd also like to get around to taking the door panels off, examining the contact points of the wiring to the window control along with the speaker wires. I'll provide a link to a Youtube tutorial on how to remove the inner door panel. While it's only for the driver side door, it should still be helpful in removing the others. Hopefully it proves helpful for someone out there. As I find other helpful vids...I'll come back to provide links to those. One last thing I also plan to do is post pictures of how our Traverse radio looks and any others relative to these lingering issues. Look forward to exchanging here with you all. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
See this thread regarding window issues. Probably your master switch or the door connector.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=11609.msg159697;topicseen#new

With respect to your radio being dim: I wonder if what you're seeing when you get real close is just the original display "burned" into the glass/plastic. Old CRT computer screens suffered from this. One way to tell would be if you can actually see something changing as you tune or change bands.

If you have a sun/moon roof, the drain lines on these have been a source of water leakage according to some threads here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, greentraverse.

In regards to the dim radio...I've played around with the buttons and the radio is responsive and will change whatever is displayed accordingly. Believe it or not, that CRT burn-in thing actually did cross my mind when I first noticed the faint display but after playing around with it, it does display correctly, albeit dim almost to a dead/off state.

My LS model doesn't have sunroof so at least that eliminates that possibility.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, Raf,
I have the same problems with my speakers. I have the 2009 LS model and am living in houston too.
you mentioned
"Back a lil more than a week ago when I found many others on the net were experiencing this problem, I checked that connection between the doors and surely enough....quite a bit of water gushed out as I pointed them downward and shook them. This is undoubtedly the culprit"
where is exactly the location that you found water? I want to check to see if I can find water in my car at the same spot.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
open your doors--- and undo the connectors between the door and body.

Point down and water may drip out.

Also use a mirror and check the connecto-- and the pins--- if water has been in there for a while--- the pins may be corroded... or literally rusted apart.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a 2009 Traverse LT and I have been having problems with the stereo. Sound only comes out the front pillar tweeters. After the vehicle sits in the sun for a while and gets to at least 85 degrees in the interior the sound starts to work in all the speakers except for the passenger front door. I replaced the stereo and the same problem has persisted. I think the problem is cold solder joints in the Body Control Module (BCM). The BCM controls most of the internal electronics and I think that may be the problem with your vehicles. I have not confirmed this, it is just a strong suspicion. I did not have water in any of my door connectors, they were dry and did not appear to have ever had water in them. I also live in Houston. Right now in the mornings only the tweeters in the pillars work, but in the afternoon after work, all the speakers work, except for the passenger front door. I suspect as we get into summer the stereo will work better and better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Swap out the amplifier that’s behind the brake pedal. My wife’s traverse had the same issues. She also had water in her door connectors. A $5 bicycle tube and some gorilla glue fixed that.

·
Registered
2001 traverse LT AWD
12 Posts
My tweeters were the only thing that worked. I put a multimeter on the speakers and they were dead. Replaced them and it works fine.

Super cheap factory speakers. Magnet on them was super tiny anyway. Inexpensive walmart speakers are much much better quality than chevys. No need to spend money on high dollar speakers. Walmart ones had a magnet easily triple the size.

No issues sounds great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts