Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about 30 miles shy of hitting 1000 miles.
I have a 2010 Traverse.
I had ordered the vehicle back in June.
When It came off the semi--- it had over 340 miles on the odometer.
Apparently GM ran emissions test on it-- maybe a whole tanks worth.
Appears it was done on rollers--- there was no evidence of road use on the vehicle. I looked very carefully.
And no- it was not driven by people at the dealer. I KNOW when it arrived- and when the salesman called me.

Anyways... im here in Los Angeles. included below is an image of traffic I encounter everyday coming and going to work-- this image- theres actually gaps in traffic- it was a little lighter than normal.
With about 1/4 tank left- im averaging 18.5 MPG. Note my speed... about 6-7 mph. so it is stop and go. Of course there are spots that open up and we can get up to 30 mph for a bit....
I will do a hand calc and report on my DIC vs hand calc
But- also note- it was 107 degrees out--- so I was running AC for a time.

If I didnt have this bumper to bumper traffic- im sure id be in the mid 20's.
I do like to drive SMART... 1st gear changes occur at about 1800 to 2100 rpm's. so theres no jackrabbit starts here.
I also like to look ahead and anticipate braking/accelerating.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I refueled last night- once my low fuel light came on.

My DIC said I had used 18.7 gallons.
I pumped in 19.5 (I think I pumped/forced in a little more after safety turned off pump)

But DIC reported 18.7 miles.... and I hand calculated 18 miles per gallon. 351.4/19.5=18 mpg.

next time- when the safety stop the pump- thats where Ill leave it--- maybe doing this will be closer in line with the DIC reported usage of fuel.
So for my 1st tankful of gas--- 18.7 DIC vs 18 hand calc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've noticed the pumped in gallons is always higher than what the DIC reads also, by about .7 gallons. Doesn't matter if I stop when the pump shuts off or not. Can the DIC be calibrated?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Zubius said:
I've noticed the pumped in gallons is always higher than what the DIC reads also, by about .7 gallons. Doesn't matter if I stop when the pump shuts off or not. Can the DIC be calibrated?
More like maybe the gas companies are ripping us off!!!!....well we know they are price wise, but maybe volume too!!!! The b*stards!!!...lmao

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know here in LA- the dept of weights and measures...
will go to gas stations in a special car--- its a regular car- but the gas tank inlet has been modified- the person will stick the nozzle and fill up like normal...
but the gas pumped is actually going into a tank that measures the exact fuel pumped...
this is how they catch cheating gas stations...
the reason they use an undercover car- is that in the past- I believe the station attendants have installed remote switches that have been installed that can alter the amount of gas pumped.
this way they look like any other car....

But with the current state of Calif. and LA county-- im sure $$$ is tight- and theyre not cracking down on cheaters...

·
Registered
121 Posts
Las friday I filled up and the DIC was only off by .3 gallons. Maybe it gets better??? The only change was I switched to 93 vs 87 but the same pump

1 - 6 of 6 Posts