Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
[imgr]http://image.motortrend.com/f/features/auto_news/2008/10579409+w455/112_0811_01l+cadillac_escalade+future_escalade_illustration.jpg[/imgr]MotorTrend reports that GM insiders are saying that the next-generation Cadillac Escalade will jump from its current GMT900 truck platform to the Lambda crossover architecture that underpins the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, Buick Enclave, and Chevy Traverse. MT points to the Buick Enclave Super that didn't happen as evidence that an Escalambda would be able to handle an eight-cylinder engine, which would be a step up from the rest of El Generalissimo's increasingly-crowded crossover lineup. Edgier, CTS-like styling would likely be a given, too.

Frankly, this is a good idea. The packaging afforded by the Lambda platform is vastly superior to what the GMT900 trucks offer. Remember that in the latter, the 3rd row is bolted to the cargo floor, it doesn't fold flat, and it's generally uncomfortable. The Lambda solves that instantly, and is better suited for what's positioned as a luxury vehicle anyway. Ride quality would be much better, and if GM Design were to deliver an interior on par with what's now found in the CTS, a Lambda-based Escalade would probably represent a quantum leap forward in terms of styling and refinement over the current vehicle.

As for the Avalanche-based Escalade EXT, MT says that GM's mulling over the idea of moving to a unibody pickup, a la the Zeta-based GMC Denali XT concept, to replace both of those vehicles. Again, not a bad idea, especially for Cadillac. The downside is that owners of the current vehicles who use them to tow will likely need to look elsewhere to fill that need. Still, if Cadillac's gig is to sell legit luxury vehicles, moving to more car-like platforms makes all kinds of sense. It's going to be really interesting to see if any of this stuff actually pans out.

Source: http://www.motortrend.com/future/future_vehicles/112_0811_next_generation_cadillac_escalade/index.html

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes full frames are going the way of the dinosaur. The Next Gen small pickups are going frame less I've read.

I would also not be surprised to see light duty full size trucks loose their frames in the future.

Just the heavy duty ones will keep frames or they will pull apart. ha ha..

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
:eek:hno:

AND how much more $$$$ wll this cost to be "rebadged" Cadillac? :happy: :happy:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sailfish said:
:eek:hno:

AND how much more $$$$ wll this cost to be "rebadged" Cadillac? :happy: :happy:
That's no different than the Escalade, which is a rebadged Chevy Tahoe, or SRX which is very similar to the Chevy Equinox.
In fact, that vast majority of "upscale" brands are rebadged versions of their lower counterparts, but made with higher quality materials and more bells and whistles.

·
Registered
324 Posts
admin said:
That's no different than the Escalade, which is a rebadged Chevy Tahoe, or SRX which is very similar to the Chevy Equinox.
In fact, that vast majority of "upscale" brands are rebadged versions of their lower counterparts, but made with higher quality materials and more bells and whistles.
And then there's the benefit of "trickle down". I'm hoping they try the magnetic tech from the Corvette's shocks on the Lambdas. A Caddy version makes that more likely.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't know how faithful the below pics are to the finished product, but they look pretty nice and maintain the upscale appearance of Escalade.

One thing to consider is that Traverse looks smaller than it is by virtue of its rounded exterior. Only from the side view does Traverse reveal its true largeness. Take away the curves and the illusion of being a smaller crossover disappears. Slab sides and creased edges will make the Escalade appear larger even though it's identically proportioned. I'm sure the interior appointments will live up to buyer's expectations as will the promised V8 power plant that will propel the Lambdalade.

The only real drawback I see to making the switch is for those few owners who use their Escalades to tow large boats, horse trailers, etc., and , frankly, I'll bet that ain't enough to cater to. Besides, GMC has the Denali pickup truck they could buy. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Okay but to me looking at it from the side OUTLOOK but way more in cost.

·
Registered
551 Posts
To me it looks like the last srx version they did. Im not a huge fan of it, but that might not be the final look. They wont have an ESV version anymore I take it?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I don't really see myself driving one of these, but I can see my wife tooling around in it. I see myself making the jump to the next generation Enclave when I replace my Traverse. In thinking of the new Cadillac, we should consider the differences between the Traverse and Enclave and then imagine something even more opulent and that will be the Escalade.

I agree with ADMIN that this is a smart move for GM to make. Start with a great platform like the Lambda -- which we all agree it is -- and make several different vehicles from it.

How many people are willing to pay premium for a car sold in Japan as a Toyota, but badged Lexus in the U.S.? How much mechanical difference is there between a Tahoe and an Escalade today? It's mostly how they're decked out inside and dolled up externally, and you can be sure that the Lambda Cadillac will have upscale materials and appointments making it a distinguished and cushy cruiser for the latté and aerobics crowd.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
bigtallvandy said:
Hey look Ma! It's an Outlook with different badging.

<Looks nice...>

:clap2:

:cheers:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Those pics are an "artists rendering" which is usually some forum member with mild photoshop skills taking a wild guess :) This is just an Acadia photo with SRX bits stuck on. I do think the front end will heavily favor the SRX, but I think the profile will be a bit more upright than the current Lambdas, with less "tumblehome".

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
admin said:
Those pics are an "artists rendering" which is usually some forum member with mild photoshop skills taking a wild guess :) This is just an Acadia photo with SRX bits stuck on. I do think the front end will heavily favor the SRX, but I think the profile will be a bit more upright than the current Lambdas, with less "tumblehome".
:'( :'( :'(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts