Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Visit AdvanceAutoParts.com
Add Mobil1 Synthetic Motor Oil 1 gallon currently on sale for $21.99. (1 Gal. = 4 qts)
Buy two gallons and add a Purolator PureONE Oil filter for $8.99.

Your total will be $21.99 x 2 = $43.98 (for oil) + $8.99 for oil filter = $52.97
Use coupon code LS123 for $20 off making your grand total $32.97, pickup in store to save on shipping costs.

For those with Bing accounts you can earn 10% off this purchase!
$32.97 - $3.29 = $29.68!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5284855_use-bing-cashback-save-money.html

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
if youre going to use the mobil 1 for another car... this could be a deal for you.
If youre going to use it in your Direct Injection Lambda- then not so much a deal.

From used oil analysis- Mobil 1 does not appear to be the best one to use in the DI- especially if you plan on going over 5K.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My local dealership recommended I switch to Synthetic oil for my Traverse. What would you recommend, sticking with good old DINO oil?

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Mobil 1 is no longer TRUE synthetic.
it recently changed. copperbeech may know when it changed.

Ive used regular DINO- Valvoline Premium conventional 5w-30....
Here in Los Angeles- with rush hour driving and easy driving on my part--- and had excellent results (5503 miles on oil and 47% oil life left).

Many people using Mobil 1- have much higher IRON in their used oil analysis than my dino oil did.

heres my UOA- and the comments from oil nerds... (also note the reference to the same type of oil used in my 2003 Trailblazer for 11,000 miles)

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1906376

you want to see HIGH iron count in a Direct injection engine UOA---with only 7000 miles...

look here post 112...
http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2831.100

it has 6 times more iron--- than my oil -- and he only drove 1500 more miles.... and hes running Mobil 1....

on bob is the oil guy-- theres a few more UOA running mobil 1--- and this oil just doesnt seem to be the right choice for the DI...

Copperbeech may have an opinion on what Synthetic may be better...
I think a bunch of oil nerds are waiting on UOA of Penzoil Platinum.....

But in my opinion-- for my driving style- and weather--- Valvoline is ok to use.

If you live in COLD weather states--- youll want to read the UOA from those that live in COLD states.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
by the way--- so far-- from my used oil analysis-- it appears that im safe running my oil life monitor to about 45-50% on dino (valvoline).

While a nice oil is found- I would not run oil down to 0% oil life..

(on my 2003--- I trust that oil life monitor-- as shown by the UOA referenced above).

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
I think a bunch of oil nerds are waiting on UOA of Penzoil Platinum.....
Actually we should see, likely sometime next week, a UOA for Pennzoil Ultra (from a Traverse).

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
im eager to see that result....

I dont think I even saw Penz ultra on the shelf the other day...

·
Registered
272 Posts
I just sent Pennzoil Ultra off to Blackstone today. Had about 4600 miles on it when I drained it. I'll post it when I get it.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
No.
BUT--

If you have a 2011+ that requires DEXOS oil-(or equivalent)-- make sure the oil you use has the DEXOS logo on the bottle.

I believe Mobil 1 does...

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was under the assumption that GM could not make you use their oil and if they do they must furnish it to you free. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act that is regulated by the Federal Trade Commission states that auto manufactures cannot deny coverage based on the use of an aftermarket product. If the manufacturer can prove that the aftermarket product caused the failure or was installed improperly then they need not honor the warranty.I would guess that it might be harder to get warrenty work done if you did not use their product.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Dexos- or Oil meeting Dexos specs- and technically- with the Dexos logo on the bottle.
once your out of warranty- you can use whatever you want...

but while under warranty-- if you want warranty to be in effect-- an oil that meets the specs is what you have to use.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts