Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have an issue with their rear lift gate moaning and groaning when it opens and closes?

We have a 2010 LT2 with the power lift gate. It opens and closes fine but sounds like it's in pain each time it's operated. We had it in to the dealership a month after we took delivery and they replaced some lift assembly (I can't remember the correct term) and it went quite for a while but the noise is back again.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
I have a 2010-
mine has moaned a few time- from the passenger side.
But I think its the strut...
Everytime its done this-- it has rained the day before.. so it may be that it simply needs lubrication on the struts (that thing that holds open the tailgate)
I think it may be water getting on it- and maybe washes off whatever- and it makes the noise.
subsequent uses- quiets it down. (I manually open/close the gate). but ill take a closer look next time I open it so that I can tell exactly where its coming from...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
I have a 2010-
mine has moaned a few time- from the passenger side.
But I think its the strut...
Everytime its done this-- it has rained the day before.. so it may be that it simply needs lubrication on the struts (that thing that holds open the tailgate)
I think it may be water getting on it- and maybe washes off whatever- and it makes the noise.
subsequent uses- quiets it down. (I manually open/close the gate). but ill take a closer look next time I open it so that I can tell exactly where its coming from...
On my '09', the gate moans and groans at times, believe it is the strut on the right side.

Bob

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine has moaned from day one. It's a 2010 LT1 with a manual lift gate. It also seems to have a wider gap on the passenger side above the taillight than it does on the driver side. This is typical Chevy from my point of view. I have had a lot of Chevy's from trucks and suvs to Impalas and we have also had several Subarus and a Mazda lately. The Chevy's fit and finish is always inferior to the Subaru's and also the Mazda. I have to say the Traverse has the best fit and finish for a Chevy I've seen in a while but I still don't think it's up to Subaru standards. I don't have any experience with other Japanese or German models. I did look at a few Hyundai before buying the Traverse and they looked pretty well made. Just MHO. ;D

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Just went out and tried it--- lifted and closed.... quiet- no groan.
so it may be rain related.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) Mine is whisper quiet. Funny thing is I have been driving Chevy’s fro over 35 years and never had any of these problems with over a 30 cars and trucks. All vehicles get a squeak or rattle after years if not maintained lubricated and what not so if you but something used then that comes with the territory. Yes I have had several overseas vehicles such as BMW, Toyota, and Porsche and found although a tight fit very expensive to repair and I have to remove 20 or 30 bolts to repair something simple like a headlight switch. I think if they were that well designed the engineers would have made simple every day repairs easer to do with out having to remove half the dash for a light bulb out.

8) Steve

·
Registered
551 Posts
For what it is worth, I have heard that groan a few times before, it is hit or miss. I am not sure if it is rain related or not, however it is going to rain the next couple days so I can report back.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have power liftgate and it sounds like moaning also, but I can only here the sound if I'm really close or really listening for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts