Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter owns a 2014 LT AWD with 160000, the car had a Misfire code on cylinder 4, I am writing this because when she drove it to the local dealer for a diagnose the service writer quoted her a new engine $7000 and some change, she said it took them about 30 minutes to come up with that. (What a rip off), so I started the troubleshooting, 1st Sea Foamed, thought sticky valve, (No Change). Changed coil, (No Change). ran compression check (Bingo). dead cylinder.
Pulled: Intake, Exhaust Manifold, Both Valve covers, timing cover and all associated with that, all 3 timing chains, and finally found that the intake valve was burnt. after installing new valve and removing and cleaning all in that head started reassembling, installed new: Timing Chains, oil Pump, Water Pump. Plugs of course all new gaskets, believe me I did this all with the motor remaining in the car. I don't have a car lift, and yes not going to lie. it was a pain in the ass! but I just couldn't see the daughter take on that much debt, total cost (Parts) $450. ish..
Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Font Automotive wheel system

· Registered
4,256 Posts
Fewer and fewer "mechanics" appear to want to actually fix engines. Easier (anf more profitable) to just change it out, I guess. Back in the '70s and '80s, people rebuilt engines all the time. You don't hear about people doing that much anymore. Not as easy anymore, I guess.

· Registered
2019 Traverse 1LT
28 Posts
You must be one of those :ROFLMAO: :LOL: that paid the $6K
ramseypk, no, AlisoBob is 100% correct. The exhaust valves are smaller than the intakes. Also the exhaust valve are typically the valve(s) that burn. On another note, did you only pull the one head, and with the miles you show (160,000), that 's a lot of miles. Is the engine burning oil now? I've seen this on high mileage engines getting top end jobs, but not touching the bottom end, so basically there are "0" miles on the top end, and 100,000k+ on the bottom end. The result is oil being sucked up past the "worn" rings and burning in the combustion process. Just wondering how it worked out for you. BTW, that is a great pic!

Thanks,

Jack

· Registered
1,014 Posts
Nice job diagnosing that and performing all that work on the vehicle. Dealerships, um Stealerships can be very un sensitive to customers situation. You should send this experience that she encountered to the owner of the dealership and to GM corporate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts