Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On another forum-I posted info on MPG's when I had 2,011 miles on my Traverse. I drove from LA to San Francisco with 4 passengers and posted
DIC MPG/hand calc MPG
19.4/20.9
22.8/22.1
23.1/22.9
23.2/23.8

I was then asked- if I had a TOTAL miles/total gallons consumed...
Since I took the time to add it up.. I figured Id post here too...

from my log book.
Gallons PUMPED=1127.4
Gallons used DIC=1083.2 (difference 44.2)
Miles traveled used in calc. 21,759

Hand Calculated
21,759 miles/1,127.4 gallons = 19.3 MPG overall

DIC gas used.
21,759 miles/1,083.2 gallons = 20.08 MPG overall

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Looks like pretty consistant fuel usage.

Ours is a little less consistent, because of towing the trailer in the summer weekends, and when winter comes...oh boy, the mileage drops.

I was still able to maintain 22MPG over the holidays, when it was -5* celcius, so that's not bad, but that would have easliy been 25MPG in the summer time.

I suspect that winter fuel and cold temps knock off about 20-30% fuel economy on average.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Great info to have. I was actually looking for the average mileage in the four fill-ups you specifically mentioned.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DOH!!!!!

hehe. well Ill get that for you tomm.

·
Registered
860 Posts
No worries!!

·
Registered
718 Posts
About 4600 miles on our Traverse now, and the overall MPG (hand calculated) is about 16.2 MPG. I can get 20+ when taking it on long runs, but the majority of driving is short trips. My wifes commute to work every day is about 15 miles, but at least half of it is stop and go. The colder weather/remote starts aren't helping either. Once we get into "normal" weather with temps a bit higher (and the break-in period is complete), I'm expecting the overall number to rise.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Wow, that is impressive rbarrios.

Not only that you are getting that kind of mileage out of your traverse, consistently, but that you are also keeping a hand log of the gallons per fill up. I think that I delete every bit of info. on the DIC every time I fill the Traverse, unless we are taking a trip that requires more than 1 tank of fuel. Of course I'll keep a running total for the trip then. I would guess that part of your better than average fuel economy is partly due to the more mild climate you have. Here in the midwest, and even more so in the North ( Canada ) and Northeast, I would guess our avg. will drop to about 18mpg. for the same type of travel you are doing, based solely on the colder weather. I know ours is crap because my wife feels the need to remote start the Traverse even if it's below 50*F outside, so ours runs a lot, without a load on it. Kills the MPG :banghead:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just took our first road trip in the Traverse, from home in central Texas down to Pasadena, Texas, total of about 140 miles. The vehicle had less than 500 miles in it. I got 25.6 miles per gallon according to the information center.

I drove no faster than 65 mph and my starts and stops were gradual. There was a light wind coming from the left rear, so that helped some. The terrain was mostly flat, with a few hills at the beginning of the trip. I zeroed out my calculator before I hit pavement, so once I hit pavement, I was setting at 17 mpg. I went through two small towns in route and had to stop once or twice.

I was pleased with this mileage.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
your remote start in cold climate must pump more fuel to the engine (also would show why the cold climate Lambdas-Used oil analysis show higher fuel dilution?)...

But I do remote start my traverse every morning. It will run for about 3-4 minutes.
Mostly to get over the long cold warmup time it has-- You know it takes its time to get down to 600-900 RPM.
My dad and I commute to work--- and hes real impatient- he cant stand sitting there while the car idles down..
this way we hop in- put key in shift and go.

For those that have not see this--- this is a plot of my Traverses COLD STARTUP. its about 1 minute of high idle and then it begins to settle down-
I ONLY shift once im in the 600-900 rpm range. never above 1000.
Also note the spike at -68 seconds-- thats the switchover you hear (and a slight dip sound in RPM's) as it goes from 2 injector pulses to 1 (from what Ive read). so if you ever wondered why it does that. -100 seconds would be- I turned the car on 100 seconds ago.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GXPWeasel said:
Wow, that is impressive rbarrios.

Not only that you are getting that kind of mileage out of your traverse, consistently, but that you are also keeping a hand log of the gallons per fill up.
hand log you say...
also look at the # Im showing on the 2nd line- for HAND MPG. :blob:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For Todd- I went back and for the SF trip- it worked out to 928 miles- and 40.1 gallons = 23.1 MPG.

·
Registered
860 Posts
rbarrios said:
For Todd- I went back and for the SF trio- it worked out to 928 miles- and 40.1 gallons = 23.1 MPG.
Most impressive sir. Thanks for digging through your info.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I have a notebook where I write the date/odometer/fuel fill etc. in, and an Excel sheet that I plug the info in for it to calculate the MPG. It gives me per tank MPG and lifetime MPG as well as lifetime gallons used and fuel cost. I have all of my maintenence in another tab. Works pretty slick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Re: Miles per gallon

We're averaging in the low to mid 16's with combination hwy and city driving. I had the dealer try to find out why it's not performing as advertised and they couldn't figure it out. I coast in it as often as possible and try to keep it under 2k RPM when speeding up from a stop. Anyone else have not-so-good fuel economy?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts