Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just took a trip into the Colorado mountains last weekend. The Traverse had 9200 miles and fresh tire rotation at the beginning of this trip and is getting nearly 17 MPG in town now.

Our starting elevation was 4980' here in Fort Collins, then 5280' into Denver. I-70 begins climbing out of Denver to the west toward Glenwood Springs, our final destination. About 45 miles west of Denver is Eisenhower Tunnel (11,158'), then a pretty good grade back down into Dillon (9100'). Vail Pass (10,662') is the last big climb past Frisco, then downhill into Vail (8100'). It's 210 miles to Glenwood Springs. Our final elevation in Glenwood was 5760'. We achieved 22.6 MPG on our trip there, drove about 20 miles around town over a few days, then drove the same route home. Our mileage for the whole trip was 22.3 MPG with speed limits ranging from 55 MPH to 75 MPH.

I wasn't especially kind to the gas pedal on the steep climbs to get around tractor-trailers or RVs when I needed to. I did leave the transmission in the "L" position and used the manual selector to help keep revs up and the engine in its power band. I did coast (in 6th) quite a bit of the way down from Eisenhower on the trip toward Glenwood, but used the lower gears (mostly 5th) the rest of the time while on the downhill side of the mountain passes instead of burning up the brakes. I hope the range in engine load (accelerating while climbing and engine braking while descending) finishes off engine break-in.

Mileage is coming around like I hoped it would. :thumb:

YMMV.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Sounds like a good drive, and one that I hope to make this winter. Being from Topeka (KS) we like to go snow skiing every 2-3 years, and this year we are due. We usually hit Keystone or Breckenridge, but who knows where we may go this winter. Glad to hear the Traverse performed well for you in the mountains, and still kept a descent MPG rating.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
Our starting elevation was 4980' here in Fort Collins,
Small world - we are also from the Fort.

We returned from a trip to CA a week ago and I was very happy with the passing power in the hills. And even driving it like I stole it we got 17.6 mph over the 3800 miles.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
I just posted about a quick trip we took-- only 213 miles-
but gassed up- made trip and returned- gassed up again.
DIC reported 27.2 MPG, I hand calculated 30.2 MPG.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BTW, we had two adults, two young boys, the A/C on the whole way, the rear seats folded down so that we could fit a big cooler full of ice and beverages, some food, and luggage in the back--probably another 200 pounds. No complaints here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts