Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the Acadia, and Outlook forum, I thought all the Lambda platforms might benefit from this:

I just accomplished my first oil change on my 09 Outlook - I've been reading up on issues and paid particular attention to the oil filter change with the oil leaking down onto the motor mount. I was concerned about this and thought I'd try a little improvising to prevent the oil spill, and wanted to share my success.

I used a cut out empty 1 qt oil bottle, a small funnel, and a tube attached to the funnel.

Placed the cut out bottle directly underneath the oil filter deflection plate - bottle top facing forward, and placed the funnel directly under the bottle opening. I placed a 12 inch hose on the end of the funnel to make sure the oil made it down to the drip pan (found out while looking at the pictures that it wasn't really necessary unless the wind is a concern).

I had NO oil escape my improvised oil "channel"

Here are pics:

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
Great Improv, Looks like they started to address the problem with the casting below the filter but didn't go far enough. Probably so you can get a wrench on the filter, or it would just get broken to easily. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Very Nice!.
I think Ill do that.
The other option is to cut out the 1 qt bottle a little smaller (leave more of the top layer- and leave the cap off--- so that it catches the oil...
I may experiment with both..
But this is a very good idea.

I see you also have an older saturn in the back.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I noticed that the orange stuff from the factory filter stuck to your oil filter mounting surface.
Did you try to scrape that off? Or you left it as is and let time wear it off.

This is my oil filter mounting location- with the 1st oil change on my 2010.

Attachments

·
Registered
201 Posts
That looks like the gasket form the filter, I hope you removed it if not you really need to before it starts leaking and causes problems as that would be a warranty killer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for pointing that out, I didn't notice that until you guys mentioned it - I had stuck my camera down there for the close up - not even thinking that the filter gasket had stuck up there..

Thanks a million! :)

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
hopefully its just the orange coloring from the factory gasket--- and not an entire gasket....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
danthechevyman said:
That looks like the gasket form the filter, I hope you removed it if not you really need to before it starts leaking and causes problems as that would be a warranty killer.
Amen to the warranty killer and engine killer, as well. $$$$$$$

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Removed the filter last night - turns out I overtightened the new filter - although there was some red/orange residue on the mounting surface, there was nothing raised from the surface, kinda like it was painted or something - most likely from the first oil change. So, cleaned off the red/orange residue, and put another new filter on. Should be good now.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
great news to hear it was just the coloring!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just changed my oil (first change - have 1200 miles and needed to do this before a big trip coming up) and wanted to thank the OP for this mess preventing idea. I did this trick and it worked well for me.

I just left the cap on to catch the oil.

Wingmn said:
I posted this on the Acadia, and Outlook forum, I thought all the Lambda platforms might benefit from this:

I just accomplished my first oil change on my 09 Outlook - I've been reading up on issues and paid particular attention to the oil filter change with the oil leaking down onto the motor mount. I was concerned about this and thought I'd try a little improvising to prevent the oil spill, and wanted to share my success.

I used a cut out empty 1 qt oil bottle, a small funnel, and a tube attached to the funnel.

Placed the cut out bottle directly underneath the oil filter deflection plate - bottle top facing forward, and placed the funnel directly under the bottle opening. I placed a 12 inch hose on the end of the funnel to make sure the oil made it down to the drip pan (found out while looking at the pictures that it wasn't really necessary unless the wind is a concern).

I had NO oil escape my improvised oil "channel"

Here are pics:

·
Registered
34 Posts
AA/78U said:
It looks like you switched filters from the PF-48 to a K&N; just wondering why you chose that brand
Habit. Plus, if I am going to follow that oil change monitor thing and go beyond a 3-4K change interval I want to use what I perceive to be one of the better filters I can use.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
RedhotGTO said:
Habit. Plus, if I am going to follow that oil change monitor thing and go beyond a 3-4K change interval I want to use what I perceive to be one of the better filters I can use.

Used oil analysis on the lambda vehicles- has shown the PF-48 to be very good at filtering.
Used oil analysis has also shown mobil 1 to not be the choice of oil for these vehicles- based on UOA- Mobil 1 users also show much higher iron count than other brands like Pennzoil Ultra (or was it Platinum)--- and even what I use--- Valvoline Premium Dino oil....

Used oil analysis- have shown up to now- not to go by the oil life monitor.
Im one of those--- on my traverse- (14,000 miles)--- I am currently sticking to about 5500 miles oil changes. with about 50% oil life left.

This is based on my Used oil analysis of the traverse...
BUT
I also trust the OLM in my 03 Trailblazer... on that vehicle- I actually go up to 11,500 miles between oil changes... using the OLM-- this backed up by UOA on that engine...

for the time being- I will not go 0% on the Traverse...

·
Registered
34 Posts
rbarrios said:
Used oil analysis on the lambda vehicles- has shown the PF-48 to be very good at filtering.
Used oil analysis has also shown mobil 1 to not be the choice of oil for these vehicles- based on UOA- Mobil 1 users also show much higher iron count than other brands like Pennzoil Ultra (or was it Platinum)--- and even what I use--- Valvoline Premium Dino oil....

Used oil analysis- have shown up to now- not to go by the oil life monitor.
Im one of those--- on my traverse- (14,000 miles)--- I am currently sticking to about 5500 miles oil changes. with about 50% oil life left.

This is based on my Used oil analysis of the traverse...
BUT
I also trust the OLM in my 03 Trailblazer... on that vehicle- I actually go up to 11,500 miles between oil changes... using the OLM-- this backed up by UOA on that engine...

for the time being- I will not go 0% on the Traverse...
That is good info - thanks for summarizing that all in one post. Please be sure to update your post with the right name of that Pennzoil oil.

I may just break my habit during the next change and go with the facts. It would be cheaper.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: This look's like a very good idea I will have to try it.

8) Steve

·
Registered
202 Posts
Love this thread. Props to the OP!

Now I can't wait until the first oil change. Although with a scant 365 miles on the odometer, I got a long way to go! :banghead:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts