Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the catalytic converter in my 2010 Chevy Traverse LS (73K Miles) due to it making rattling noises.
My concern is should i go with Meineke for the replacement or should My Mechanic install the OEM parts.

Is there a difference between the two?

Thank you

·
Registered
82 Posts
Price is going to be higher at Mienike but will come with a nationwide warranty on parts and labor. Your mechanic will be alot cheaper but no warranty on parts and probably not labor since he is only doing an install. Given its a 2010 I would go with the Mechanic.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 High Country
93 Posts
CA emission compliant vehicle ? If so then it's OEM cats only. Aftermarket usually doesn't make CA compliant cats.
Many "mechanics" put in cheaper Fed. cats in CA vehicles and CEL light is never ending. Family experience on that one.

·
Registered
8 Posts
OEM will be the best for the money. I am replacing an aftermarket cats that didn't last a year with OEM. Google for best pricing.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Obviously haven't had this come up yet on my '19, but have had experience with aftermarket cats. First cat failed on my '96 Dodge Ram, was oem of course. Just came loose from the inside, broke apart and rattled around making noise but still running. I replaced with an aftermarket cat which held up for quite a while but it left me stranded late one night on iced over roads twenty miles from home. It completely stopped up and would only allow the vehicle to run about 5mph. Parked it in a walmart parking lot, went back the next morning and drilled some huge holes right before the cat to get it home. For what it's worth, my vote is for oem always on cats. Meineke is a well know and trusted brand, so they likely would be good especially with a good written guarantee. Some things I just prefer oem...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts