Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I just found this forum and I'm hoping to find help. I have a 2017 Traverse with around 54k miles. In March the check engine light started popping on and the car was rough idling, I could smell gas occasionally when I stopped after being in stop and go traffic. I took it right away to a repair shop. They came back with it being a faulty 02 sensor. They changed Bank 1 sensor 2, new spark plugs, and new purge canister. Paid about $900 for all of that.
Car seemed fine for about 3 weeks. 3 weeks later check engine light again with a code P0420. I took it back to the mechanics and they said catalytic converter was going bad and to quote "it's not bad yet. These computers let you know ahead of time something is going bad and it's not a big deal" I asked what that means and they basically said it's not a big deal to change right now.
Fast forward to a few weeks later I ended up stuck in a major traffic jam and had a lot of stop and go traffic. Vehicle started rough idling severe, check engine light flashing, and I could smell gasoline. I had purchased a code reader and was getting these codes P0171, P2096, P0420,. I had the vehicle taken to another mechanic who is highest rated in my town. They said my catalytic converter was bad. I paid $1100 to have that fixed.
I did not make it 10 miles after picking it up before rough idle started, flashing check engine, same stuff again. It went back to mechanic. They said faulty 02 sensor downstream and replaced. Left again same thing happened. They then said bank 1 sensor 1 is bad and replaced.
Also to note steering in tight places was becoming difficult so they said power steering pump was going out also.
After replacing bank 1 sensor 1, it felt the best it had ever felt driving for 15 to 20 miles. However sitting in a restaurant line same day it was changed the rough idle returned and flashing check engine light.
Back to mechanic. Codes are now P0171, P2096, P0300, P0131.
He has checked for vacuum leaks, checked injectors, he says checked everything and that bank 1 sensor 1 keeps giving bad readings on live data. They found the power steering hose was leaking fluid directly over bank 1 sensor 1 and found a GM technical bulletin that this was a known issue in the 2016 and 17 Traverse. They replaced leaking hose, replaced 02 sensor again but this has not fixed issue.
He checked for software updates. Has had car for a week and says Nothing is bad. No explanation for why bank 1 sensor 1 keeps giving bad readings and why fuel keeps being dumped to compensate for lean condition. I've spent thousands of dollars now and was told the new catalytic converter is at risk from the lean condition. I'm currently renting a car and leaving it another week with the mechanic.

I know this is long but I'm at my wits end. Does anyone have any idea?
Gm has a service bulletin about the power steering hose leaking on 02 sensor but hasn't attempted to do a recall. Could that somehow be the reason that sensor keeps messing up even though hose is replaced? Maybe fluid got to far in where ever 02 sensor is plugged into? Hope that makes sense. Oh and everytime they check engine light starts flashing the traction control goes off.

Any help would be immensely appreciated.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but neither of your mechanics treated you fairly. Federal emissions law requires catalytic converters be warranted for 8 years or 80,000 miles. They replaced and charged you unnecessarily; Chevy dealer should have performed it under warranty. With that as a starting point, and the fact that they continue to have difficulty diagnosing and correcting your issue, I would suggest taking it to a reputable GM/Chevy dealership. Just my thoughts and opinion.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
562 Posts
2x Dealer for warranty work not a independent shop. They can't do warranty work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
dumping unburn fuel can throw the cat off. Have they changed the coils and plugs? GM dealer time! If you have 1100$ to throw at new cats you can get a diag at the dealer, walk away and have someone else fix it so its not book time.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just so you know...a typical Scan Tool could give the tech 2-4 possibilities to check and correct the problem/s per 1 code. Since there are 3-4 codes alone, that's a lot of visits... Knowing that, it's up the tech to choose one, usually the least complex and cheapest to repair. If it comes back in, well... they have a few more to pick and remove and replace suspected parts. Obviously, this can go on and on as you know... I feel bad for folks like you spending endless amounts of cash to continue to have issues. Someone here mentioned the dealer and usually that would be the first place to the car for something like this but they also have techs that randomly choose the easy button as well.

Based on your explanation, rough idle on one bank that dumps excessive fuel into the direct injection motor can be caused by a bad injector, or even clogged injector starving for fuel and the ECU telling it to dump more... It could be any of the emissions switches and or valves going bad and setting off the Check Engine Light. They can cause rough Idle even drivable...

Like some of the members said, take it to the Dealership. They have probably seen their fair share of the same problems and my have a recommendation. Look up rating of the dealership for trouble fixes, might help.

Good luck, let us know what the fix is in case one of us members experience this as well.

·
Registered
11,536 Posts
one thing- what state are you in?
A few States like California/New York have strict emissions.
THey require that Catalytic converters be replaced with Original Equipment and NOT aftermarket (universal) type cats.
Im wondering if the shop installed aftermarket cats- and the computer is having issues making sense of whats going in- and whats coming out of the cat.

(im thinking out loud)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts