Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 and noticed recently that the liftgate doesnt open the way it used to anymore. It doesnt slam down or anything but stops wherever you stop lifting it instead of going all the way open. Has anyone else noticed anything similar? I lubed the hinges and all moving parts and no change - any ideas?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I have a 2010 and mine are starting to get weaker as time is going by.

I will have to look at replacements in a year or so...

Unfortunately with a heavy gate like this they will not last as long as you would think.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Should be covered in 3yr / 36K mile warranty, and if not, the dealer should replace through goodwill...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I know warranty will replace the struts free of charge was just curious if anyone else was having issues or if there was an updated strut that I wasn't aware of.

I had a 03 CTS and the struts prematurely failed on that car also but there was an updated strut available through GM which was a lot stronger than the original

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Coppertop666 said:
Yeah I know warranty will replace the struts free of charge was just curious if anyone else was having issues or if there was an updated strut that I wasn't aware of.

I had a 03 CTS and the struts prematurely failed on that car also but there was an updated strut available through GM which was a lot stronger than the original
My 2010, the struts are still going strong. Not as good as they used to be, but nothing really noticeable. The cold weather does hinder their effectiveness though.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Mine Still lifts but I can stop the hatch in any position after the halfway lift and it stays.

Anything below half way lift it will just close if I let it go.

New once I pressed the button it would just open.

·
Registered
563 Posts
The Acadia Forum has had several members who had to replace their liftgate struts, usually in the older years. The Acadia liftgate is heaver than the Travs due to being wider.

Other comments made was that the aftermarket brands available held up better than the OEM ones. So consider them for replacement if not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Are you sure it isn't the colder weather? This is the 3rd winter in MN we've had our Traverse, and when the weather is colder it doesn't go all the way up without additional assistance. Once the weather warms up it performs normally.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
cold weather will make them 'weaker'.
I guess the pressure within.
On hot days youll notice them go up with vigor.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Yup! My 2009 same way, cooler, and downright cold weather, I sometimes hit my head on the liftgate because it doesn't open all the way, unless I help it. Once it warms up outside, springs right open. I'm sure GM used the cheapest hydraulic fluid they could, and didn't both checking warm/cold viscosity of the fluid. I even had the dealer check it when it was still under warranty, their response: Normal....... :banghead:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I thought about the cold weather also but didn't notice last season at all so that's why was thinking they could be prematurely failing. Anyway it could be worse so I'll just keep an eye on it for now and if it keeps getting worse I'll get it to the dealer for replacement.

Thanks for everyone's input!

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
My 07 Outlook during the 3 years of ownership the liftgate struts never failed nor were they weak during cold weather. The lift gate struts on my 03 VUE still work, although I do notice the tailgate tends to not want to stay in place to get it to the full height. It doesn't close yetI think after nearly 10 years if they go out I had a great run with them and will have them replaced.

Hey I wonder, those of us with the power liftgate do you think by not opening manually this has to put more strain on the struts. Like my VUE when I open it I of course manually lift it up. Perhaps that is what is causing the ones on the newer lambdas failing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes i noticed the struts were a little weak this morning too and it was only about 45 degrees or so.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had one strut fail on our 2007 Outlook about 2 years in and replaced under warranty. Just had both replaced on my 2011 Traverse the end of November .
They were fine in the warm weather, as soon as it became cool they would not only stop without being pushed but also sounded horrible. Dealer tried to blame it on the cooler temps, had them replace both and there is a noticeable difference.
Don't get me wrong they don't function the same as in the summer but they work better then the originals. I would venture a guess GM's using the cheapest components possible. They may be underrated for the weight of the liftgate.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I noticed mine seemed to be weaker last few days. I thought it was the cold as well. Basically mine hasn't been opening all the way.

On another note, my Tahoe shocks failed after about 7 months, they were popping off the lil socket ball mount. They are covered under the 3 year warranty

1 - 20 of 30 Posts