Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today as we were driving our 2009 Traverse LS was acting up. We had the AC level on the middle speed setting and then the speed would go up and down by its self without the knob moving! It was weird. Has anyone else had this happen? ???

A

·
0 Posts
angelca1993 said:
So today as we were driving our 2009 Traverse LS was acting up. We had the AC level on the middle speed setting and then the speed would go up and down by its self without the knob moving! It was weird. Has anyone else had this happen? ???
Was there any change in temperature?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where? Outside? No because it was like 95 degrees all day. And I don't think that could have cause the problem because it's the manual version

A

·
0 Posts
When the fan speed changed; didn't the temperature of the air coming out of the vents change?

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have it happen but only when someone opens a door. I guess it increases the air flow from the fan. Once the door is closed I can hear the fan slow down a little.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
yup you can hear what Kawazar says--- open the door-- and the fan can move air more easily and you can hear/feel the increase in air.

But- do you know if when you thought the AC acted up--- IF you felt the change in air temp? or simply a change in air speed?

Did you see the amber light on the AC button flash?

Im wondering if the AC was shutting off for a bit - and you heard a change in the air speed/noise?

You know like when you change the vents from outside to inside- the air is forced thru different paths- and you can hear a diff in sound volume and speed.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, the temperature coming out didnt change. And no one opened a door because we were moving while it happened. We did not touch anything thats what is weird about it.

Here is what happened....We were just driving like at 40 MPH with the AC in the middle setting. We didnt have the little recirculating thing on. Then all of a sudden, the speed would change from like 3, i think that is the middle setting, to a 1 for like a minute then back to 3 and then to like a 2.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I will probably take it in one of these days to get it checked out. I don't want it to stop working while we are in Mexico because the warranty doesn't cover it over there

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've seen this happen both in my Traverse and in my wife's new Equinox. Here's my thoughts on this: Even in manual mode the AC still reacts to certain changes. I've also seen a case where I think system may have been trying to adjust differences between keeping engine temperature down while still running the air. We've had a week of heat warnings with heat indexes near 110, so I've seen it a couple times this week. I think other situations may call for the AC system to change due to various reasons. I've heard GM compressors do have an ability to run with lower or higher output levels. Most other makers just use compressors that are on or off, nothing in between.

New GM cars are extremely smart and do all types of automatic things to ensure better quality over the life of the vehicle and the owner's enjoyment of it. The one that got me was the refusal of the A/C to turn on if outside temp was below 50 degrees. At first I thought this was a problem, but understand now that it's done to keep the compressor life higher. (I've used A/C to quickly defog interior windows over the entire vehicle, not just the windshield.) I still love that the air slows down when you do a bluetooth call. GM really thinks about the driver.

·
Registered
150 Posts
kawazar said:
I have it happen but only when someone opens a door. I guess it increases the air flow from the fan. Once the door is closed I can hear the fan slow down a little.
Pressurized or pressurization... not sure of exact wording.

The air freely moves through the fan because the vehicle is openly vented. Close the doors and the vehicle is more effectively sealed and thus the fan is pressurizing the cabin, the air of course is not moving past the fan so easily.

The OP mentions the A/C running while driving. I suspect the doors/windows were closed at the time. The A/C compressor clutch engaging would cause a drag on engine and might make a slight change in voltage when it engages or disengages (alternator speed affected). Maybe a loose accessory belt?

Seems strange the fan would change speeds on a manual controlled system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Mine did it the same thing a couple of days ago. True the fan speed changes when the doors are opening but I thought this was due to my son playing with the back seat A/C controls. Interesting...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I believe this is normal operation. I live in Florida, use the AC daily on short commutes. This consistantly happens: Above a certain speed (never noticed what it actually is mabey 20-40 MPH) the fan runs slower. Above that speed it runs faster. This most likely is a feature to conserve some battery energy and improve gas milage. (It actually sounds like a stupid feature to me with little benefit)

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
This happened to me yesterday. Just left the house (it was 30+ degrees celcius out) and about 3 minutes up the road I heard the fan speed change to a lower speed. The dial was set for the middle position (straight up).

I thought that I was just hearing things, so I let it go. A few minutes later it returned to the higher speed, and then lower again. I didn't notice a significant change in fan speed, but rather fan noise. I had the vents pointed at my face, and the blowing seemed pretty constant. It almost seemed as if we lost pressure in the cabin, but we were driving, so no doors or windows were open.

I know that vehicles have special rubber flappers (for lack of a better term) that allow air to escape when say the door is closed, so that your ears don't pop. I wonder if at a certain speed these open, releasing the pressure in the cabin and therefore causing the fan to operate more quietly.

Like I said, I don't think that the fan actually changes speed, its rather a sound issue.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts