Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone with an LTZ had the chrome trim above the door molding peel away? Both of my rear ones are peeling from the back. I had the passenger front one glued back on at the dealer a couple of months ago. I am shipping my Traverse to Germany in the morning and will have to stop by the dealer to see what they can do. If this happens again I think I'll just pull the **** things off.

Here is what I am talking about. Look at the tip of the molding and you can see where it is no longer sticking. Passenger side is even worse - probably about 1/4 to 1/3 not sticking.

Murnutz

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes, ours was - we saw this on several LTZ's when we were "shopping around". Dealer just glued it back, but now you can see the glue residue - looks like crap.
Proper way was to order new chrome molding with new adhesive, clean the area with alcohol, and apply - but they didn't do that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Same thing happened to both of my LTZ rear doors. The dealer fixed using more sticky tape. They said that if it happened again they would order new strips and replace under warranty.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
can this also be aggravated by the pulling of fluffy wash mitts that catch and pull as you wipe the vehicle?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Took a look at my mouldings, boy they look fragile. I would have to guess one trip to a carwash with those spinning brushes and that would be it for them. Glad I wash at home, and I'll be more careful.

·
Registered
312 Posts
All four doors had loose chrome strips when I bought my 09 LTZ. Dealer replaced them under warranty and now, 3000 miles later, all four are loose again and the dealer has a set on order for me. This is a design flaw; no way that trim design will survive years down the road!

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have a date with the dealer next week, one of the issues is the chrome trim.... You are right, no way this is going to last 5-10 years. You will see alot of them missing the trim! Way to go GM

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mine peeled off while they were detailing it before I picked it up. Dealer said re-sticking with new tape would not work well. They had to replace the strip. Also, the moulding is painted to match.

·
Registered
16 Posts
During Test drive of Traverse, everything was stuck. When I went to pick it up, the sales guy noticed that is was coming off on one side. (must have come from the detail guys when they were preping the car for delivery). Anywho, I drove it back to the service guy, he looked and said he would order the molding (which was on backorder! huh!). Came in about 1 month later and he put in on and out the door I went. Since then, haven't had any issues with it.

Funny side note, during Turkey Break, met someone who worked at Spring Hill and she said she mounted the roof rails on my car! Pretty cool.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yea.. i actually forgot. Mine took over a month to get in. It was also backordered. Dealer could not explain what they would have done had this been an accident repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm bringing this back to life, as I just found my "chrome" molding on the passenger mid-door under the mirror is peeling back. Has anyone had this or was it just the chrome molding that runs just below the window?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Insert Quote
I'm bringing this back to life, as I just found my "chrome" molding on the passenger mid-door under the mirror is peeling back. Has anyone had this or was it just the chrome molding that runs just below the window?
I don't recall mention of the trim along the top of the doors separating although I guess that could happen.

As an update to my entry of last November, I had my chrome trim on al 4 doors replaced at that time which was the third set on the car. I now have the chrome trim on both passenger doors peeling and will have those replaced again before I crank over 36,000 miles some time around year end.

It seems that this repair and this issue should outlive the standard warranty period given the repeat trouble I and others have had.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had the drivers side moldings replaced 3 times now on an 09 with about 25k miles. I've also been told that this latest set is a "new" design... I doubt it, but we'll see how long they last. I also mentioned the 36k miles cutoff for warranty and was assured that this would be covered since it's on record as being an issue. Also not holding my breathe on that one...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hmmmmm - new design?!? Well, that sounds promising. I've got an appt to take mine in for, among other things, the same problem. Let's see if they tell me the same story.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think I read that the side trim was held on with a couple of clips and tape. Getting them off without damage may be difficult and you could end up purchasing new ones. You may want to consult a body shop about how they are removed.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have had mine replaced 3 times on both sides too. As for getting them off without damaging them that would be hard to do. Mine were peeling off so I pulled them off and they were mangled all up after I got them off.

On the other note I have never had the chrome pieces under the window/mirrors replaced....yet!

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
rbenkemeadow said:
So I'm painting the trim on the wife's traverse and I take it all I do is peel them off. She has the black plastic type.

Thanks
Are you talking about the door bumpers that run on the sides of the doors, about 14" below the door handles? The peeling chrome trim is located between the painted surface and the windows.

In any case, if it is the door bumpers you are talking about, you can order colour matched new ones off ebay for fairly cheap if you damage yours while taking them off.

What trim level is your Traverse.....LS?

·
Registered
44 Posts
My 2009 LTZ chrome door guard trim was loose when new and was repaired with two sided tape by the dealer. It also is now beginning to come loose. TZ

·
Registered
13 Posts
No idea on trim. She wanted this done so I did it for her. Just sprayed the mirrors color match and a few layers of clear. I'm going to tape the door bumpers or trim off and spray them next week. I have plenty of paint and clear left. I'll shoot some pics of them hanging up tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts