Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I will say this clear and simple. The OEM speakers in the base LS non Bose are JUNK !!!!!. I have never seen such a cheap speaker.

The only thing they are good for is to gut the housings and use them to mount the new speakers. I even kept the OEM plugs in the housing sodered by speaker to then and used the OEM connectors to connect the new speakers.

The sound is much better but the OEM Radio is still week.

Going to install an amp next then the NAV headunit will go in some time. Have to pay those pesky bills off first.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
remember--- many times- the stuff-- went to the lowest bidder.

But factory speakers are never the best.
Though- I have no intention on replacing--- unless one blows- and i replace myself...

thats what I had planned on doing on my 2003 Trailblazer-- but its now 2010 and 153,000 miles later... darn things still work..
Never did upgrade.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I kinda miss the old Delco. Their dirt cheap speakers were the bomb! Not that they were the best, but they did sound good for being the bottom of the barrel.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Have to say that I like the stereo our 2004 Bonneville has better than the Enclave, but I account most of that to the fact of different vehicle interiors, car vs. SUV (no trunk). I have the base stereo, on the Enclave, and feel the sound quality is pretty good, never gets distorted, but there's not quite enough volume for what I like. I can put it to max and it's OK, but wish it had just a little more on the volume scale to go. Bonneville's stereo is also base for that car, and it has great sound, and lots of volume. Still think it's hard to get good bass sound from a van/SUV environment, vs. a car where the trunk will work as a big bass chamber. Anyone agree with this? I know you can put more amps, and bigger bass speakers, but how much will it take to get what a car's sound is?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The new speakers way better I have all the mid range and highs and lows. I know what your talking about 09Enclave. I now have more volume. I would say just past half volume was where it was at full volume using the OEM speakers.

Everyone who has been in my Traverse has already noticed the difference. I only put in two sets of speakers no more than $200 total and it has made things better. The sound quality is better right accross the board.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have the Bose speakers with the NAV radio and the system is good and the sound is good, but there is not much in the way of user adjustability other than balance, fade, treble, and base. I don't know what I expected, but the word "more" comes to mind. 8)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I also have the Bose speakers. I'm not a big fan of Bose (a history of bad Bose equipment and poor customer service left a bad taste in my ears...), but I do appreciate their sound and love the sound in my Traverse. I do wish I could get a little more volume out of them at times. But, that's not Bose's thing. Bose tends to lean toward sound reproduction rather than loud sound. Kind of a quality over quantity thing I guess.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes that is what I'm going to do. The AMP goes in next now that I have speakers to support it installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
BigBlue what did you replace the fronts and rears with? I'm thinking of doing an upgrade as well. I can use a bit louder with the option of adding an amp.

I read on another forum that a person added 4" kenwoods (factory speakers are 3.5") to the third row bench that were wired to the second row speakers. Any thoughts on that? I may do this as well.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I put in four Pioneer 6 1/2" 3-Way Car Speaker (TS-A1673R) I actually pulled the stock speaker guts out except for the part with the connector and mounted the new speakers to them. Then soldered the new speakers to the stock housing. So I never touched the door wires or connector and can still remove the speakers by just un-plugging them.

I'm considering the back speakers as well but that almost would require me to put in two amps so if I do this I would just add a Sub then too.

Of course I intend to change out the head unit at some point just not ready to do this yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
On the fronts did you gut the factory speakers out because the length of those tubes have something to do with the sound or did you just want to keep the factory connectors and mounting plates?

Scosche offers an adapter plate for GM vehilces and the tube on that is not even half the length of the factory tube.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Any pictures on how you did this project?

I am thinking of using one small 4-channel amp (maybe 40 watts). I'm not much into boom boom boom sound systems.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The tubes helped for keeping them mounted out by the speaker openings in the door. I did have to trim a sleeve off the door panel it hits and the panel will not go back on.

Plus it was a cleaner install keeping the the factory tubes and using the connector. I can now remove them easy if I need to.

Sorry no pictures I was in a rush to get this project done.

I'm going to add a Kenwood 4-Channel Amplifier (KAC-8405) next it has line in inputs and also auto senses the signal from the line in source to power on the amp. This is great for the Traverse as it is very difficult to locate a switched power source under the dash in the Traverse.

Trust me save yourself the headache. I already went through this when I added bluetooth.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I Just installed the 4-Channel Amplifier (KAC-8405). So with the speakers and the amplifier the LS radio sounds awesome now.

I have base, high's and lows and the most important I can hear the stereo now with all the windows open.

:)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I'm in the group that's happy with the sound quality, but would like a little more volume from my non Bose stereo.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you heard my system now with the amp you would no longer like your sound quality. I here all the re-verb and echoes now like I was standing in the room.

The Factory head unit is impressive with enough power in it.

I will note though as the turn signals actually play through the speakers I have amplified the click now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Anyone have any pictures from when they replaced the speakers. I replaced the stock radio in my wifes 2011 LS with a GPS unit, added some aftermarket subs with an amp. So, when I get some time I will run new speaker witing to all locations, replace the speakers and replace my 4 channel amp with a 6 channel, maybe go further and not remove the 4 channel and just add the 6 channel too. The stereo sounds pretty good with just the subs and amp on them so no rush to complete the system. I like loud clear high quality sound.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts