Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get my low fuel warning light and chimes with about 18 gallons of fuel used. With a 22 gallon tank shouldn't it come on at 20 gallons used? Most vehicles have a two gallon reserve. Is anyone having the same issue?

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I wouldn't consider this an "issue".

The mid-mounted fuel tank, does not have a "sump" area, so that means that when the fuel level gets low, there is a chance that the Traverse will stall, even though you still have fuel in the tank.

Some members on here have reported that they were parked on a slight incline, without the low fuel indication on, and their Traverse ran out of fuel. This is simply because the fuel tank is sooooo long on the Traverse, so even with 4 gallons left, you can still run into trouble.

Is your Traverse a 2011? Maybe GM has made a calibration change to the low fuel indicator. Another member just mentioned that he may have got a OLM update. I wonder if GM has received some complaints about owner's "running out" of fuel, even when there was still 2 or 3 gallons left.

I think its normal operation.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
GM has always kept a larger reserve in the tank. All the GM I've owned have been like this. Most of them will start to flash the light when your getting real low. I don't know about the Traverse I have never had it that low.

:)

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
my 03 trailblazer chimed at 2 gallons....
the tank was also smaller lenghtwise....
the traverse has a big long tank... take a look undeneath...
now take about 4 gallons and distribute it along that lenght... the gas is no longer very deep...
and like said... hit a steep driveway and park.. and you cant start it....

·
Registered
60 Posts
Agreed, this is a LONG tank. Does anyone have a clue whether the pickup is in the front or back? Might be a good thing to know when I'm too tired to stop for gas.

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
Outlook gives approximate miles remaining after low fuel message comes on.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
hillrider said:
Agreed, this is a LONG tank. Does anyone have a clue whether the pickup is in the front or back? Might be a good thing to know when I'm too tired to stop for gas.
Id posted pics(schematic) in another thread of the Lambda and Trailblazer tank side by side... they showed the location of the fuel pump...

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
heres the tank in the lambdas... and the Trailblazer family... big diff in lenght..

A

·
0 Posts
hillrider said:
The pick up is in the front; hence the reason when the vehicle is parked nose in on an incline; the engine won't start with low fuel

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
by the way... you guys see item #10.
the big metal bar that appears to protect the gas tank....

Well a member on the Acadia forum tried to lift his Acadia to rotate his tires--- and well Item # 10 snapped off.
Dealer quoted $700-800 to replace.

So be careful where you jack up the vehicle...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts