Traverse Forum banner

Loud exhaust drone at 2100-2200 RPMs

23K views 41 replies 23 participants last post by  dhebuadze 
#1 ·
Got a new 2018 LT3 and so far loving it with one exception, a really loud and obnoxious exhaust drone when the RPMs hit about 2100-2200. We've only got about 1400 miles on the vehicle, but this weekend was our first true road trip. Has anyone ever heard of this before and if so, what might cause it and is there a possible fix? It's definitely not the tires because I had it happen a couple of times even at much lower speeds and the common denominator was always the RPMs.

I also haven't asked the dealership yet because I haven't had a chance.

#38 ·
I don't know if the resonant frequency is related to the exhaust pipe itself (i.e., vibration of the pipe) or if it's related to the exhaust flowing through a certain length of pipe (i.e., like blowing across various sizes of bottles).

If it's the former, you might be able to change the resonant frequency by strapping some weights to the exhaust pipes in several locations. Seems easy to do, relatively cheap, and it might just work.

If it's the latter, shortening or lengthening the exhaust pipe would change the frequency. This would be more difficult to do.

#39 · (Edited)
Hello guys!
I had the same issue with my chevy 2018, GM found the problem.
The noice comes from air conditioner tubes which located on the right side under the 2nd row.
So how does it happen, when you have passangers on the 1 and 2 row, the body of the car sags and presses on these tubes, which, at 2300RPM, begin to emit a resonating sound. The essence of the solution is to separate these tubes from each other.

Best regards and from Russia with LOVE!

#42 ·
Traverse 2019 65000km . Same problem. 2000rpm/40, 60, 80...120km/h.

Done for today: ture/ wills balance, alignment, oil changed - transmission after oil changed was ok, but for were short time.

Month ago replaced transmission. Unfortunately same problem .
For last year 4 months on the dilershep.
Problem not fixed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.