Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new 2018 LT3 and so far loving it with one exception, a really loud and obnoxious exhaust drone when the RPMs hit about 2100-2200. We've only got about 1400 miles on the vehicle, but this weekend was our first true road trip. Has anyone ever heard of this before and if so, what might cause it and is there a possible fix? It's definitely not the tires because I had it happen a couple of times even at much lower speeds and the common denominator was always the RPMs.

I also haven't asked the dealership yet because I haven't had a chance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes I've heard it Like a resonance the exhaust hits for a short time. Others have mentioned it, I believe its same noise just different descriptions of it.
Doesn't happen all the time for me, maybe hear it 2-3 times a week while accelerating at low speed and engine under load.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Same with me, not sure if it's the exhaust though, think it's the engine and everything just coming into a sort of harmonic resonance at the RPM hit, because it's more from the firewall than from behind me. Mine is the same at about 2100 RPM, but it's more of a growl over a drone at times.

I had the same with my previous vehicle but it was at 1200 RPM it would occur at and it was from the engine when it just hit that band, not the exhaust. Some tried swapping out the dampener but seemed the same with the previous vehicle with them.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. Sounds like it's not an uncommon issue. The first couple of times it happened I thought a motorcycle was in my blindspot. I thought it might also be an issue with active noise cancellation, but then I finally got it to repeat consistently. Now, I'm not going to say I was necessarily going a legal speed when I was able to trigger it to happen but maybe I could shift down to 6th or 7th gear at lower speeds and test it out as well.

I'm not sure there's much that can be done about it, but any ideas?

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Exhaust drone. Nothing unusual, a restrictive exhaust system with a butterfly damper, two engine pipes with two cat converters feeding to one muffler/resonator and then to two tailpipes will resonate at some point. Actually quieter than most.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sound might originate in engine but mine is definitely more noticeable to people sitting in back seat(3rd Row).
If someone in back seat hasn't heard it before, they'll ask "what is that, is that normal"?
And I'll say heck ya, haven't you ever ridden in a high performance sport utility before. They smile, nod and laugh(as no one wants to admit they haven't) and we move on in life.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Maybe I don't really notice it because the third row stays folded. Advantage of the 3 row Traverse is the longer wheelbase so the comfortable second row seating for favored passengers is between the axles instead of over the axle like in shorter vehicles where riders get "humped" by the rear axle motion.

Third row "monkey seats" in the outback are reserved for annoying children and Moe, Larry and Curly relatives whom I could care less if they are uncomfortable in their free ride. They won't hear the exhaust drone and I won't hear their complaints because I always blast digital albums on the Bose loud enough to drown them out......and thanks to the electronic rear view mirror I don't have to look at their faces either! Any complaints???.....It's my way or the highway. Hummmmmmmmmmmm.

Reactions: cuzed2

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
99% of the time I don't really hear it at all and to be honest, as someone else said it's quieter than most. It was just on the road trip itself and possibly because it's right at that speed that I like to drive at is why it became so noticeable, but my daily commute is one to where I almost never hear it. And if I'm in the car by myself, I have the music up loud enough to drown out just about everything.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Suggestion: If you have the tow package, check that your muffler isn't touching the hitch.

Had that problem in my '15 where the frame portion of the hitch was really close to the dual side muffler locations. Gen 2s have a single muffler with 2 pipes in and 2 pipes out, running up the middle not located anywhere near the hitch or frame mounts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have not experienced this with my '18 6 cyl AWD with towing package with 3500 miles on it. Seldom. need 2100 rpm even @ tollway speeds with 9 speed trans.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't believe I have experienced this in my wife's 2018 LT3, 6 cyl., 2WD w/ towing package. Overall, it's a decently refined vehicle, and I haven't observed many annoyances or abnormalities.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently experienced the exhaust drone in my '18 High Country during a long road trip through the mountains of West Virginia. Primarily while climbing hills at 70+ mph.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have not experienced this with my '18 6 cyl AWD with towing package with 3500 miles on it. Seldom. need 2100 rpm even @ tollway speeds with 9 speed trans.

LOL, guilty as charged. To be honest, to hit 2100-2200 RPMS with the 9 speed while driving on open road I'm doing a little above the speed limit...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Eighth and ninth are both overdrive gears. Doing 2200 rpm in 9th is over 80 mph, hardly cruising speed. Exhaust resonance affects every engine, especially when under load, and especially the newer emissions requirements putting dampers in the exhaust system. My V8 does it also at a higher rpm, better the V6 the harmonic kicking in around 2000 than with a 4 banger which kicks in at an even lower rpm.

Noise sounding a bit like a growl should only be a momentary hardly noticeable noise passing through this point.....more noticeable during rapid acceleration before upshift or going uphill or under load while dead footing the accelerator. These high efficiency trannys (locking one way clutch and brake assist dropping a gear on accelerastor release) have very little torque convertor slippage and behave more like manual transmission with a locked clutch, and are not as forgiving to poor driving habits. And just like a manual, jerk the accelerator and she'll buck (shudder) ; deadfoot it and it will lug the engine and it will growl. Don't like the noise kick the accelerator to downshift to a lower gear to reduce the load and increase rpm and no more growl, or for sustained driving at that speed, shift to "L" and hit the (-) to to the next lower overdrive gear.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went back to the dealer today after they claimed they couldn't find it and the loaner had exact dame issue. Drove with Service Manager in Car until he could hear it. He seems to feel that it is an exhaust issue and opened a technical support ticket with GM.

This is not a nitpicky noise we are having. This feels like somebody in a hoopty is riding along side you with the bass cranking. Unfortunately the iPhone doesn't seem to pick the frequency up so it is hard to capture.

Other than this we love the Traverse.

Here is what I have found.
1) Happens at 2100 rpms +-100. Quits when gear changes.
2) Seems to happen mostly in 4th-7th gear
3) Happens with 850lbs of passengers in it +-100lbs
4) Car seems to need to be warmed up for it to happen. Can't recreate until you've driven 5-10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Went back to the dealer today after they claimed they couldn't find it and the loaner had exact dame issue. Drove with Service Manager in Car until he could hear it. He seems to feel that it is an exhaust issue and opened a technical support ticket with GM.

This is not a nitpicky noise we are having. This feels like somebody in a hoopty is riding along side you with the bass cranking. Unfortunately the iPhone doesn't seem to pick the frequency up so it is hard to capture.

4) Car seems to need to be warmed up for it to happen. Can't recreate until you've driven 5-10 minutes.

EGR system directs exhaust into the intake for fast engine warmup and emissions which can change the whole exhaust harmonic explaining 4).

Just a thought.....were both noisy vehicles Premiers? If not:

So why is it that some complain of a loud noise while others and myself barely hear it? Same chassis, same engine, same cats, same pipes, same damper, same muffler, same resonators.....BUT could it be the different shaped finishers spot welded on the end of the resonators????

May well be that the degree of noise heard has something to do with the resonators/finishers combinations on the different models. The Premiers use dual resonators with flat rectangular finishers which direct the flow straight out the back of the vehicle away from the ground and rear hatch..and protruding 2 inches past the end of the rear bumper. Other lines use conical finishers inside the bumper which act like a bell directing exhaust out the back in a circular arc toward the ground, rear bumper and rear hatch.....same finishers used on my Camaro which is designed to make plenty of noise.

·
Registered
10 Posts

I have a 2018 High Country Traverse that has the exact same issue Brian Narkinsky has. It doesn't have to be at high speeds, just at 2000 rpm. I have roughly 9k miles on it and last weekend was the first we heard it, had all 5 family members in the car going to and from the pumpkin patch. I agree this is not a nitpicky noise...I was so embarrassed each time the noise came, because the engine literally roared so loud it! I did think at first a motor cycle had passed me but then it kept happening...always at 2000 rpm.

Brian, I am taking my Traverse to the dealer on Friday, Nov 2. If you know of any fixes from when you posted last and could help me from making multiple trips I would appreciate it! I didn't know if they had success through the GM network or not. I'm nervious I won't be able to have the noise recreated as it has been driving fine this week for me(without the entire family aboard). I don't know if they are going to take the time to drive it for 20 min, with multiple passengers, then get it to 2000 rpm and hope they hear it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a 2018 High Country Traverse that has the exact same issue Brian Narkinsky has. It doesn't have to be at high speeds, just at 2000 rpm. I have roughly 9k miles on it and last weekend was the first we heard it, had all 5 family members in the car going to and from the pumpkin patch. I agree this is not a nitpicky noise...I was so embarrassed each time the noise came, because the engine literally roared so loud it! I did think at first a motor cycle had passed me but then it kept happening...always at 2000 rpm.

Brian, I am taking my Traverse to the dealer on Friday, Nov 2. If you know of any fixes from when you posted last and could help me from making multiple trips I would appreciate it! I didn't know if they had success through the GM network or not. I'm nervious I won't be able to have the noise recreated as it has been driving fine this week for me(without the entire family aboard). I don't know if they are going to take the time to drive it for 20 min, with multiple passengers, then get it to 2000 rpm and hope they hear it.

Fortunately, many of us have been able to identify when the noise occurs and how to replicate it. All joking aside, I have yet to have it happen again since hitting the armadillo. I don't know if he knocked something around underneath just enough to remove the resonance or if it's one of those things that only happens under exact conditions. Having said that, go easy on the dealership if they can't replicate it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
So hear is the weird thing......this past weekend we got a pop up message on the console something like “caution steering assist is reduced drive with caution” And the AC quit working. Car drove fine except for the messagand no AC. Drove around Sunday with intention of taking car back into dealer Monday morning. We then realized the annoying Drone was gone!!!!!! Great except for no Ac and weird message...

Well...... Monday morning and message was gone and AC was working again and still no drone!!!!! So far...

Beginning to believe that this might be computer related. There was something about the Buick enclaves that had a cable that leaked signals across the wires and caused all sorts of weirdness. Maybe a loose connection or something.

Please let me know if you find anything as this is too weird.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts