Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
Two days ago I was driving my car, stopped at a stop sign and as I was turning left onto the other road I heard what sounded like a belt snapping. Right after that noise the steering became very hard to turn. I somehow got it to turn so we didn’t crash into the woods. Once I got it to turn I tried to stop on the side of the road but realized the brakes then were hard to push down. Luckily
I got it to stop by pressing down with both feet. The car was on the whole time. I shut it off and it wouldn’t start. The lights, AC, radio & Windows would work but the car wouldn’t turn over. After about 20 mins I tried again and it sounded like it wanted too but never did. I did notice the battery gage is usually at 14 but was no in between 9 and 14.
The mechanic is saying I blew the motor but when I look online none of the signs of a blown motor happened.

Has anyone had anything similar happen?
I just don’t want to get screwed since I don’t know much about vehicles.

Thank you!

·
Registered
585 Posts
What year is your model? Loss of power steering combined with the "belt snapping" noise leads me to think your accessory belt broke so you lost power steering, alternator, etc. The brake assist is run from engine vacuum so if the engine was running you should have had brakes still...

Something doesn't add up, did they provide a sheet with the actual diagnosis and what they recommend fixing?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s a 2010. I agree that something doesn’t add up but feel defeated as I don’t know much about vehicles. I haven’t received a paper this was only a phone call, I’ll request a sheet with the actual diagnostics. Thank you!

·
Registered
585 Posts
It’s a 2010. I agree that something doesn’t add up but feel defeated as I don’t know much about vehicles. I haven’t received a paper this was only a phone call, I’ll request a sheet with the actual diagnostics. Thank you!
I know the last thing you want to do is spend money in the face of a large bill, but I'd consider having the vehicle transferred to a shop you trust or a more reputable shop if this shop doesn't have great reviews or you simply aren't comfortable.

Keep us apprised!

·
Registered
768 Posts
What area of the country are you? Get on Facebook and ask community members who they recommend for mechanics, also check google or Yelp Ratings for reputable shops nearby.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!
Two days ago I was driving my car, stopped at a stop sign and as I was turning left onto the other road I heard what sounded like a belt snapping. Right after that noise the steering became very hard to turn. I somehow got it to turn so we didn’t crash into the woods. Once I got it to turn I tried to stop on the side of the road but realized the brakes then were hard to push down. Luckily
I got it to stop by pressing down with both feet. The car was on the whole time. I shut it off and it wouldn’t start. The lights, AC, radio & Windows would work but the car wouldn’t turn over. After about 20 mins I tried again and it sounded like it wanted too but never did. I did notice the battery gage is usually at 14 but was no in between 9 and 14.
The mechanic is saying I blew the motor but when I look online none of the signs of a blown motor happened.

Has anyone had anything similar happen?
I just don’t want to get screwed since I don’t know much about vehicles.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just had it happen only had the traverse 3 weeks 140000 on it and it spun 4 rod bearings

1 - 10 of 10 Posts