Traverse Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, my name is Tony I am new here and I have a question. I am in need of a vehicle that can safely haul our growing family around. I presently have a 2017 jeep cherokee trailhawk that i am trading in. I've located a 2010 Traverse with 103k that would do great and fit our needs for an 8 passanger with awd .

Knowing very little can anyone chime in with information pertaining to what i should look for or what to avoid?

This is the vehicle im looking at tomorrow morning, it's about 1.5hrs from me.

https://www.toyotaofwausau.com/used-Wausau-2010-Chevrolet-Traverse-LT-1GNLVFED4AS108941

Thank you for the help in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a baby on the way so we need something larger and that seats 8, otherwise i wouldn't be doing so.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also tool a huge deduction in pay so it doesn't make sense for me to have a $450 car payment . And payments for something older fall more into where i want to be.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
If youre set on this vehicle- make sure it shows frequent oil changes--- in the 3- 5000 range.
Car fax shows some oil changes--- check the mileage intervals.

I did not see a change in the timing chain.
2010 should be fixed for the chain issue- but do see some 2010s come here and report the chain issue.

Reactions: Tmugz88

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really down to affordability and requirements. Plus living where we do i would prefer AWD. It seems pretty solid clean , may end up changing the cabin filter soon otherwise it's going to suit our needs. I hope it is reliable and can be depended on.

I walked out with it for $9500 plus my negative equity of $2200.

·
Registered
11,280 Posts
take note-- not all 2010's have cabin filters.

my 2010 does not. Built at Springhill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just realized that, guess ill be doing a little detailing to rid the vehicle of the slight cigarette smell that my gf can't smell but j can..

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
MY advise. Remember that this is a 2010. If you really want a Traverse first I would shop for a newer model and with a lower milleage. 103K is the time when you start to spend money in a vehicle like shocks, muffler system and many other items that you can call normal wear and tear. I know you need more room for your family but you can find some very cheap deals in a van for exemple. You may not be a chrysler fan but a grand caravan new will cost you very little and dont forget the full warranty that you get with a new vehicle. Your 2010 Traverse can turn out into a money pit because of its age and no warranty. This is my opinion for a growing family that dont want to invest 50K dollars in a vehicle and some safety cushion for the warranty. Happy shoppings!

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
MY advise. Remember that this is a 2010. If you really want a Traverse first I would shop for a newer model and with a lower milleage. 103K is the time when you start to spend money in a vehicle like shocks, muffler system and many other items that you can call normal wear and tear. I know you need more room for your family but you can find some very cheap deals in a van for exemple. You may not be a chrysler fan but a grand caravan new will cost you very little and dont forget the full warranty that you get with a new vehicle. Your 2010 Traverse can turn out into a money pit because of its age and no warranty. This is my opinion for a growing family that dont want to invest 50K dollars in a vehicle and some safety cushion for the warranty. Happy shoppings!
Too late - he bought it - see post #7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had originally looked into a van, but i felt any Sienna or odyssey with over 120k in the $10k range was a bit over priced. I originally looked at a 08 odyssey with 85k but the shocks were blown out ar all four corners.

It seems in northern wisconsin prices are way higher then those I've found south of the state.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I was giving you an idea on the Grand Caravan because the left over new from 2017 are heavily discounted over 11,000$. You can grab a base model for a bit more than $20,000 CDN and cheaper in the US.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was giving you an idea on the Grand Caravan because the left over new from 2017 are heavily discounted over 11,000$. You can grab a base model for a bit more than $20,000 CDN and cheaper in the US.
If it could seat 8 i REALLY like them for a family hauler .

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Grand caravan base are all 8 passenger haulers. I gess it is too late now since you already bought your Traverse.
Myself I really like my Traverse and this was only the alternative to a van since GM dont built anymore vans and it was a must for me to have a garage close to my home. The only option was a GM dealer which is walking distance and all the other garages are selling used cars. I always wanted to stay away from used vehicles because of their past. Was it used for rental or the owner wanted to dump it because of issues etc etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Grand caravan base are all 8 passenger haulers. I gess it is too late now since you already bought your Traverse.
Myself I really like my Traverse and this was only the alternative to a van since GM dont built anymore vans and it was a must for me to have a garage close to my home. The only option was a GM dealer which is walking distance and all the other garages are selling used cars. I always wanted to stay away from used vehicles because of their past. Was it used for rental or the owner wanted to dump it because of issues etc etc.
The older grand caravans had the option available for 8, otherwise the new ones have either a bench or captain chairs in the 2nd row to only seat 7. The only mini van that has seating for 8 throigh dodge or chrysler is the Pacifica which replaced the town and country. Now if i would have went older say 06 seating for 8 would have been an option throigh dodge. The other two options are the odyssey or Sienna.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My traverse was a rental for the first 20k and had an owner who lost it to their bank at 36k and the last owner had it since then to 103k.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts