Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed the Lockpick on your Traverse? I have the Navigation and DVD part working just fine. I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me the location of the rear camera cable that I need to hook up. Can anyone help me here?

·
Registered
113 Posts
wtyer said:
Has anyone installed the Lockpick on your Traverse? I have the Navigation and DVD part working just fine. I can't seem to find anyone who can tell me the location of the rear camera cable that I need to hook up. Can anyone help me here?
What is the "Lockpick"? :binky:

·
Registered
91 Posts
On this Lockpick thing. Do you have to install a secondary DVD player or does your DVD's play through the Navi? What I'm getting at is can I remove the Navigation DVD....replace it with a Movie DVD and will it play with sound straight from the Navigation Unit?

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Stumpk:

It allows you to put a movie into the dvd player above the nagivation screen and watch it on the front and rear screens while driving. In a normal stock situation when you buy a car, it cuts out the front screen when the car isn't in park, as I'm sure you know. So you can be driving and the passenger could theoretically view the movie on the front nav screen as well as the kiddies on the back screen. ALSO, you can turn on and view the rear view camera while driving to see what is behind the car, which is an interesting little feature. Another interesting feature of the lockpick gen 5 is that it lets you enter destinations into the navigation unit while driving. This is usually locked out when the car is out of park. Finally, it also allows you to view XM's genres or something along those lines while driving, although my car seems to do this stock, so I don't understand what the benefit is.

They have a couple other models that let you add auxiliary inputs and stuff, it's just not something that interested me personally. An example would be to put a camera in the front of the car or even on the sides... OR I would imagine you could hook up other video players etc and switch between them if you were in need that. For me the rear console aux input is enough for my kids needs.

p.s. I have a lockpick ordered, but have not installed it yet. I can't comment on how well it works yet etc...

p.s.s. there's never any real need to pull out your navigation DVD. Unless you want to upgrade the navigation DVD to a newer version down the road.

·
Registered
91 Posts
NOTE: Lockpick harness will ONLY work if your Navi unit currently WILL play DVD's while in Park w/o the harness. If your unit does not do this you must have it sent into have the harness put on. The price goes from $189 to $400!!!

I got this straight from TVandNav2go customer support.

·
Registered
201 Posts
As far as accessing the nav while driving remember we all have one year of Directions and Connections that can be used to download or change directions while on the move.
For the life of me why would you what the DVD playing while driving don't we have enough accidents because of cell phone, eating and other things we really should be doing while driving, and the passenger wants to watch does not cut it either.

·
Registered
27 Posts
stumpk said:
NOTE: Lockpick harness will ONLY work if your Navi unit currently WILL play DVD's while in Park w/o the harness. If your unit does not do this you must have it sent into have the harness put on. The price goes from $189 to $400!!!

I got this straight from TVandNav2go customer support.
My car play's DVD's in park and I'm sure yours does too.

to Dan: Your absolutely right, I have no intention on watching DVD's while driving. Perhaps if there's a hottie in the car behind at the stoplight, you don't need to look like a perv and stare at her. Now you can just be a perv and watch her on TV without her noticing! Can also get a good snapshot of the ASSh**** tailgating you and get their number since the plate is to close to view in rear view mirror :D

Lol for me it's just the novelty of being able to do all that stuff that I like. I hate having features disabled :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
to each his own...don't get it then.

My Traverse LTZ does not play a DVD while in park. Spits it out and say "Disc Read Error". I'm going to try another DVD.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jeeze I wasn't looking to pick a fight, just saying that it should play the disk when in park. It sounds like the DVD player or the media going in might have issues if it says disc error.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ferne.....My comment "each his own" was for the comment of the person not understanding why you'd want to watch a DVD in the front seat. It doen't matter why....that you can if you choose.

My wife has hit two parked cars, mailbox and lord only knows how many curbs. I've driven w/ a DVD player velcro'd to my dashboard with only one eye and never been in an accident.

Anyway, I think my issue is that my LTZ does not have factory DVD in the rear. Thanks for the info on the lockpick!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Glad to hear I didn't offend and thanks for the claification :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
I really want a Lockpick, but there's some things holding me back.

I like the idea of using existing buttons to control it, but then again maybe the option of an additional button pad to make it less confusing would be a nice option. The current method of controlling the Lockpick reminds me of trying to enter cheat codes on a Playstation game console. :)

Also, I'm waiting for them to support a true USB aux input, not just iPod input.

As far as DVD while driving, on my last family road trip my wife commented she'd love to watch the movie the kid was watching too. I personally could easily ignore the movie on the dash while driving, so it'd be nice if the passenger could enjoy the movie with the back passengers too. Plus my wife has wanted to work on Nav destinations while we were in motion and could not. Those two things almost sold a Lockpick to me. But the price would need the above two options before I felt it was worth the money.

That, and there is the installation...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I got all of it installed. The hardest part was running the camera power cable to the back of the Traverse. There is no plug in the right rear corner to cut in to. I ended up running the cable down the passenger side floor then up the back passenger corner to the middle of the back door. If you pull the head liner down just a bit you can see the cables that run in to the lift gate. The dark blue wire is the power for the camera. I cut it and spliced in the cable from the lockpick and everything is working great. Plugging everything in to the back of the Nav was easy.

·
Registered
417 Posts
That "dark blue" cable has got to run up to the front eventually. I would assume that it would also be a cable that is coming out of the Nav. Has anyone found it up front yet?

I haven't bought a Lockpick yet. But since I've had the enhanced remote put in, that's my next project.

·
Registered
22 Posts
danthechevyman said:
and the passenger wants to watch does not cut it either.
Why? I can absolutely see if you are on a road trip and the passenger wanted to watch the movie in the back where this would make sense. Many folks do it with a lap top all the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts