Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
dad drove home in the dark with his high beams. said he came out of the store and his low beams went out. fumbling around he turned on his high beams.
When he got home he told me no headlights--- except highs and no interior lights....

I thought--- low chance of BOTH lights burning out at the same time.
So I went outside with flashlight (and from being a trailbvoy member for a long time) I knew what to look for.
Popped the fuse box in the engine bay- I swapped the RELAY for the FAN CLUTCH and the Low beams relay... and the lights came back on.
I drove to the store--- which didnt have one-- but a store 4 miles away had the part.... I went and got it. $44 for a relay.
Dad could now drive to work the next day...
I knew about this issue from reading about other owners whose lights just went out,,, the advice was to swap the relays in an emergency to get you back on the road.... but just to watch the engine temp to make sure you didnt overheat.... as the fan clutch was now not getting power...

As for the interior lights.... while fumbling for the lights-- he pressed the disable overhead lights button....
ohhhh vehicle is shy of 157,000

:thumb: for the forums..... I wonder how much it would have cost to diagnose this at a shop?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Nice. Good "in the field troubleshooting", there!

Were you / dad ever running non-stock or higher wattage headlamp bulbs? In our 2002 trailblazer, I (stupidly, I'll admit!) bought some of those cheap "blue" HID-like bulbs for the trailblazer. About 3 months later, I noticed one of them was out. When I inspected and pulled out the bulb, I found that the higher-than-stock wattage bulb bases had melted to the weatherpack connector! DOH! Both sides were damaged this way (fused completely together, socket to bulb) and I would up having to cut the wire further back in the loom and splice in aftermarket headlight sockets, along with, 2 factory spec bulbs. I was lucky that it didn't start a car fire, that would have sucked. :angryfire:

Learned my lesson on that one. Our later model truck, our 2007 trailblazer had no headlight upgrades or changeouts of any kind. :angel:

Upon looking at the wiring of the headlight capsules on the trailblazer, it's no wonder they had trouble, the wire was like 22 gauge (very thin) and the higher-than-spec-wattage bulbs were overheating the wires and the connector to the point of failure.

But enough of my story. Glad that you found a fix, between that and the "rear tail/brake light circuit boards" recalls, the TB's surely had their fair share of electrical issues!

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I run silverstars in the Trailblazer, Traverse, Impala.

No heat/wattage issues in any.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Re: Little problem with my 2003 Trailblazer- forums are great

Nice. Silverstars tend to be somewhere in the middle. Their light output is brighter than stock, and they're rated at the same wattage as stock... Meaning they tend to not last as long on average.

Sent from my EVO 4g via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just traded in our Trailblazer for a Traverse but trailvoy.com saved us a couple thousand $$$. Silverstars ROCK!!!

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
did you by any chance happen to use the

How to replace fuel pump?
How to replace your thermostat?
How to drain/refill your rear differential?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Re: Re: Little problem with my 2003 Trailblazer- forums are great

Luckily when our 2007 tb seized the fuel pump, it was a 100% warrantee job. Our TB was still under the 3/36 &5/100 warrantees when we traded it in on the 2011 Traverse.

That being said, I've read several of your how-to's over on the other forum and was very impressed!

Sent from my EVO 4g via Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
rbarrios said:
did you by any chance happen to use the

How to replace fuel pump?
How to replace your thermostat?
How to drain/refill your rear differential?
I did use the how to change your thermostat. I also used the how to's for cleaning throttle body, sparks plugs, stepper motor in instrument cluster, plus a few others. I also used it to diagnose an issue with the TB stalling at low speeds.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GREAT!
Sometimes I take pics of stuff I do... just for reference.
And then it turns out that I post the pics and it help a ton of people. :cheers:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts