Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few months ago my 09 traverse stopped registering tires. Then it needed oil but I got no codes. Then service stabilink . A week ago I'm driving and its strained like I'm in horrible wind. I look under the hood no errors no lights. 4 days ago I'm driving down the highway and it goes into limp mode. The cluster says engine over heated turn off ac I turn off ac I pull off the highway and call OnStar the car wont start. I check the oil it's not even registering on the stick where is the oil going it's not in the coolant not under the car not sprayed out on the undercarriage I put in 3 quarts, the battery is dead. The tow guy jumps it and its knocking really bad. I turned off and towed it to a friends place. Still not leaking the car still knocks still got a dead battery and the traction and stabilink message onstar and myself report no error codes what the poop? I have no car to get to work in. 150k miles is this normal car still says 35 % oil life no oil pressure lights no recalls either I think there needs to be one. What does the stabilalink and tires have to do with a blown motor? Computer glitch is my guess

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
258 Posts
The Oil Life Monitor system is just an algorithm to calculate the useful life of the oil based on the driving condition. It won't tell you if your oil is running low. The user manual clearly stating that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Oil Life Monitor system is just an algorithm to calculate the useful life of the oil based on the driving condition. It won't tell you if your oil is running low. The user manual clearly stating that.
Thanks Dave, in case you didn't read all of my post there is way more envolved than weather or not I can read a manual. I service my own vehicle. As we speak I'm tearing my motor down to see what damage was done. My point is that I have all these unrelated things going on as do a lot of GM owners. 1 being 3 quarts low and my motor is now shot. I would think a catastrophic failure of my motor should have triggered a flashing check engine light. Dont pick on my intelligence . This isnt because I didnt change my oil on time. But thank you for providing that bit of information about algorithms.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The first 4 or 5 years of the Gen 1's (Gen 1.0 vs Gen 1.5) used lots of oil, typically 1-1/2 to 2 qts in 5000 miles. The OLM algorithm was originally bad and didn't tell you to change oil soon enough. So being 3 qts low, you may very well have been running with just not enough oil. It will probably lead to timing chain stretching and failure, too, due to oil passages being too small on the early Gen 1.0's (which might also be part of your problem). Lots of threads here on timing chain failure.

Tires are probably not registering because the transmitters inside have probably never been replaced in 12 yrs and the batteries have finally failed.

Lots of things seem to cause the stabilitrak message; some of them don't seem to have any connection to stabilitrak, but still bring up the message. Have you put a code reader on it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I remember way back when most gas stations were full service, every time you got gas the attendant would check your oil, tire pressure, etc.
Unfortunately, this now falls on the owner, once the cars get to about 50K miles, always check your oil level when you get gas. Now we also have TPMS, but those sensors last just a few years at best. If that stops registering, then check your tire pressure regularly.
I think people these days depend too much on the car to tell them to do basic maintenance, but unfortunately, it all too often gets ignored.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
The TPMS on my Mazda6 is 12 yrs old, still works great!

My Mazda system doesn't work off of a pressure sensor. It uses the change in tire diameter due to low pressure to identify a low pressure tire by the change in rotation vs the other tires. So, it doesn't read out individual tire pressures, and if it alarms you have to figure out which tire is low. BUT: No batteries or transmitters to worry about or replace.

·
Registered
965 Posts
D8d you use synthetic oil when you changed your oil? My theory is that synthetic is superior for those smaller lubrication ports in the gen 1s, I had an 08 Outlook and had 212K when I sold it, I always used Mobil1l. Did you find a lot of oil in the air intake snorkel? This has been one area where oil got sucked into when the PCV system got clogged.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.