Traverse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I discovered a feature today, that I had HOPED was included on the Traverse. After reading through the owner's manual I couldn't find the answer either.

Well today it was pouring rain so I had the wipers going. When I got home and turned off the ignition, I noticed the HVAC controls were backlit. Since owning the Traverse, I have always thought that the auto lamps require it to be quite dark out before they come on. I've been thinking about slightly covering the daylight sensor. Anyways, I thought it was too bright out for the headlamps to be on. Later today I went out again. I left with the wipers off, no headlamps on. Turned on the wipers, and about a minute later the lights came on. GREAT!

I have always been pro-headlamps when raining. Especially with a dark gray vehicle. Now I don't have to turn my headlamps on anymore when its raining. I wonder why this isn't mentioned in the owner's manual in the headlamp section?

Anyways, just thought I'd share this bit of info.

Mark

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Quantum said:
Well I discovered a feature today, that I had HOPED was included on the Traverse. After reading through the owner's manual I couldn't find the answer either.

Well today it was pouring rain so I had the wipers going. When I got home and turned off the ignition, I noticed the HVAC controls were backlit. Since owning the Traverse, I have always thought that the auto lamps require it to be quite dark out before they come on. I've been thinking about slightly covering the daylight sensor. Anyways, I thought it was too bright out for the headlamps to be on. Later today I went out again. I left with the wipers off, no headlamps on. Turned on the wipers, and about a minute later the lights came on. GREAT!

I have always been pro-headlamps when raining. Especially with a dark gray vehicle. Now I don't have to turn my headlamps on anymore when its raining. I wonder why this isn't mentioned in the owner's manual in the headlamp section?

Anyways, just thought I'd share this bit of info.

Mark
My lights come on when it is very overcast outside, does not need to be dark or close to dark outside.

My lamps are not associated with the wipers,.

Bob

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tried it a few times on the same outing. Turn the wipers on, about a minute later the headlamps came on. Turn the wipers off, about a minute later the headlamps would go off. My previous 1998 Grand AM, the auto lamps came on about an hour before sunset. The Traverse is like 15 minutes before sunset. I personally would like them to come on sooner. My parents just bought an 2010 Equinox. Their lights come on a lot sooner than mine. No big deal, they still come on before its dark.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I personally love GM's view on safety. To me the best way to stay out of an accident is to be seen and be obvious. If other drivers know you're there, and where you're going, you're less likely to make contact.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
Many states (like California) enacted the law--- if youre using wipers in the rain-- you MUST turn on headlights...
I think GM merely applied this to their vehicles to conform?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
Many states (like California) enacted the law--- if youre using wipers in the rain-- you MUST turn on headlights...
I think GM merely applied this to their vehicles to conform?
My dealer tells me this feature is available, if it is "activated'. I'm told this 'activation" is a "push-pull" type of thing, done under the dash. Mine is not "activated", I guess.

Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) OK I am going to play with this when I pick it back up from the Dealership today.

8) Steve

·
Registered
563 Posts
I thought I read somewhere that Canada requires the lights to activate when the wipers are used. If so all new Canadian vehicles should have this feature. Some states have adopted this practice but I'm not sure which ones. If what I remember about Canadian lights/wipers is true, I can see GM including this feature in all of it's vehicles that can be activated as required by law.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I tried this yesterday while washing the car. I had the kids spraying water on the windshield, it was partly sunny outside. Turned the wipers on and after about a minute the headlights came on. About 20 seconds after turning the wipers off the lights shut off. I did this cycle 4 or 5 times just to be sure it wasn't a fluke. It only works with the wipers in the on position not the delay position.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I guess in the delay position-- the DRL's are good enough...

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will have to check mine, but I thought mine worked in the delay position as well. Maybe tonight I will drive around with the wipers on (its sunny and 28 degrees C).

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So it was raining here in Southern Ontario again so I got to try the wipers and lights again. My lights come in the delay as well as the full on setting. The only delay position that they don't come on is the lowest (longest delay) setting. Interestingly though, once the lights have been activated by the wipers, I can then go to the lowest delay setting and they will continue to stay on.

I did this a few times, just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts