Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I finally used the pinch weld jacking tool.
Pictured are the tools required. If you want to rotate tires- or jack up and place your vehicle on stands or simply need to raise one side of the vehicle to do some type of maintenance.
In my case- It was time for my 1st tire rotation.
Pictured are 4 stands. A 3 ton jack, the pinch weld lifting tool- a 22 MM socket, ratchet, torque wrench and a metal pipe to serve as a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts. I also have the sheets of wood that I use to keep the stands on gouging the cement driveway.
I also put some electrical tape on the top of the tool--- Next time Ill use duct tape as its thicker. (I did this as to not scratch the paint)
Ive included a pic of the pinch weld BEFORE lifting.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
pictured is half the vehicle lifted. and another shot of the jack/tool.
ALso shown- is the rear suspension- the big metal black piece that I chose to use as the location to place the stands.... as I didnt want to use the pinch welds. (where the factory jack is placed).
Also shows is the location that I used for the stands on the front of the vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drivers side being lifted by the pinch weld and location of the jack on left front.
THe vehicle with tires off and on jack stands all the way around.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all 4 stands- view from the front-
and location of stands on the rear--- (ignore the stand that looks crooked) there was no weight on it at the time as the jack was bearing the weight
Once tires are rotated (back to front- fronts diagonally back)... and put back on--- once the vehicle is down- lug nuts are torqued to 140 ft-lbs (as per manual). (you really want to use a tq wrench- or else risk eventually getting warped rotors and pulsating brakes).
Pinch weld after work is done

Attachments

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
there was no damage to the pinch weld area... I noticed no bent metal.
THere was a slight scratch as seen in this pic-
Thats why I mention the use of duct tape next time on the top edges.
But the tool worked pretty well.

Attachments

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: Hey rbarrios thanks for the pictures that looks liked it worked great. I am going to get one of those. In the one picture I see a pick up truck is that a 1966 Chevy because I used to have a 1966 light blue with gray interior that was my dads he got it new when we lived in California. I was just asking nothing more. I see the jack stands are close together in the back was it stable because I am thinking of painting the calipers when it warms up.

8) Steve

·
Registered
31 Posts
rbarrios,

Thanks for the pics!

I bought this adapter too, a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet. Looking at your pics, I see that you have the same jack and the same issue that I do- the adapter's pin is too long for the jack. Instead of the adapter sitting flush on the top of the jack, it sits up in the air, allowing the adapter to wiggle around on the jack. And the weight of the vehicle is then concentrated on the bottom of the hole in the jack.

I was thinking about shortening the adapter's pin, so it was just short enough to allow the adapter to sit flush on the top of the jack, but otherwise was as long as possible. Have you given any thought to this too?

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
VB - LTZ said:
is that a 1966 Chevy
That is a 1964 Chevy C-20. with the heavy duty suspension-- you know the 8 lug nuts coil spring all around- and an additional half leafs in the rear.

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
clbhk said:
rbarrios,

Thanks for the pics!

I bought this adapter too, a few weeks ago, but haven't used it yet. Looking at your pics, I see that you have the same jack and the same issue that I do- the adapter's pin is too long for the jack. Instead of the adapter sitting flush on the top of the jack, it sits up in the air, allowing the adapter to wiggle around on the jack. And the weight of the vehicle is then concentrated on the bottom of the hole in the jack.

I was thinking about shortening the adapter's pin, so it was just short enough to allow the adapter to sit flush on the top of the jack, but otherwise was as long as possible. Have you given any thought to this too?
Yes mine did the same thing.
Sat on that metal piece in the center of the hole.
What I found was that it does sit sligthly at an angle. but I found that it slightly moves (rotates) as the jack moves up.
I also didnt think it was 'bad' to where I wont use it... I will just use more of the duct tape as mentioned above.
I found this to be way easier than looking around for a jack point somewhere along the pinch welds- which would get bent with the jacks normal round lift....

I dont have a tool able to cut metal that thick.... Ill leave it as is....
If I ever find something to cut that- I would... but no high priority

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Good illustrations and explanations, seems the tool worked very well for you. :thumb:

Bob

·
Registered
312 Posts
I'm curious; after rotating the tires, how does one tell the DIC where the tires have moved to so it can tell you the pressure by corner correctly? I grt mine rotated at a tire store and they do this for me. What's the DIY procedure?

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
there is a reset procedure in the DIC.
You have to let air out (or put in) to each tire. the system then recognizes the location of that sensor--- you then proceed to the next tire etc. I believe you start wit left front...

I have not reset the TPMS. I have not tried it on the Traverse....
(when I rotated the tires on the Impala--- I had one hech of a hard time to get the system to recognize all 4. It would recognize- sometimes 1 or 2 or 3. but never the 4th one...
sometimes it recognized the 4th if I did it 1st...) eventually I just took it to the dealer- and they used their tool...

Hopefully when I try it on the traverse-- it works the 1st time.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
rbarrios said:
there is a reset procedure in the DIC.
You have to let air out (or put in) to each tire. the system then recognizes the location of that sensor--- you then proceed to the next tire etc. I believe you start wit left front...

I have not reset the TPMS. I have not tried it on the Traverse....
(when I rotated the tires on the Impala--- I had one hech of a hard time to get the system to recognize all 4. It would recognize- sometimes 1 or 2 or 3. but never the 4th one...
sometimes it recognized the 4th if I did it 1st...) eventually I just took it to the dealer- and they used their tool...

Hopefully when I try it on the traverse-- it works the 1st time.
I believe the reset procedure for the TPMS is in the owners manual, but for $14.95, I'll let the dealer do the rotation and reset for me.

Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
It is in the owners manual but I'm the same way, it costs me $16 and 30 minutes to have the dealer do it.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My dealer wanted $20 to rotate them, so I did it myself. Resetting the tire pressure sensors worked without a hitch using the procedure in the manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I to bought the pinch weld jacking tool. First thing i did was cut down the "pin" to make it sit level across the pad of the jack. When I used mine I placed the tool on the flat spot next to the pinchweld, towards the center of the vehicle. Much more contact and more even weight distribution across the lifting surface. Once up in the air I placed jack stands under the factory lift points to support the vehicle.

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I found that as the vehicle lifted to one side- the vehicle leans to one side--- and the jacking tool moves with it. staying flat up against the metal of the car--- the long pin allowing for this change in angle...

if you look at some of the pics- you can see that its resting at an angle in the jack- but appears to be flat up against the surface of car...

with the short pin-- did it also allow enough movement for this? from what youre saying- seems so...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Rbarrios,
Yes the pinch weld jacking tool was flat against the vehicle and the saddle of the jack. As you jack up the vehicle the jack will roll forward to keep it centered under the jack. With the longer pin, the way it is sitting in your jack, does not look safe to me because of how the jacking tool is not fully inserted into the jack saddle. If you look at your picture and draw a line from the center of the pin of the jacking tool it is sitting sideways in your jack allowing alot more weight and pressure to be on the pin and not the saddle of your jack. I cut my pin with a sawzall with a metal cutting blade- the metal is not that hard.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts