Traverse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could I use a two ton lift and jack-stands to change the oil/ rotate the tires?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
by the way- you can click on the pic to make it bigger.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, your post is why I am asking...You used a 3 ton...I have a 2 ton...I am wondering if I can safely use what I have...

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
well the curb weight of a 1LT traverse is 4790 lbs.

4790 Pounds = 2.395 Tons

I wouldnt feel safe exceeding the rating of a 2 ton jack.

You may not be lifting the entire 2.3 tons... but-- with something like this-- better safe than sorry..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah, but your also not lifting the whole weight...you are lifting what is over the jacking point. I don't know if the door jam sticker has it, but look at the weight rating per axle as the weight isn't evenly distributed front to back. That is what you are going to lift.

Could it work with a 2 ton jack? Maybe, but your on your own if there is a problem.

There are some 2 &1/2 ton floor jacks out there that aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Moo said:
Could I use a two ton lift and jack-stands to change the oil/ rotate the tires?
If you are considering using 2 jack stands plus 1 jack to suspend the Traverse, the answer is "no" ....too unsafe.

Bob

·
Registered
110 Posts
I use a 4 ton bottle jack and two 3 ton jack stands and they work very well with the Traverse. I know that doesn't answer your question at all, but I'm stating it because when I bought them (at Harbor Freight) there was very little difference in price from what I bought and the next step up or down. So, if you already have a 2 ton jack, I guess this post still doesn't help you. However, if you are looking to purchase, my advise would be just get something that will lift / support at least 2.5 tons. It will only cost you a few more dollars and will give you peace of mind.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I have a set of 6 Ton jack stands I use on my Silverado sure a little over kill but very stable. The thing with jack stands is they will be supporting all the weight if you have the entire vehicle up in the air so you want to get a set with a wide bottom that are not flimsy because al it takes is one to give way and you are in trouble. I would go with a set of 2 ½ tons to fill safe. The problem with using the 6 Tons like I have is the higher the tonnage normal the jack stand is taller so you have to jack it up higher then you need to.

8) Steve

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Do note: you're not lifting 100% of the vehicles weight when jacking them up. The weight will actually shift the the low points as you lift.

That is why things tip over.

A two ton jack is more than enough. Just be sure you use safety stands to. It is also never wise to lift more than one tire at a time off the ground when floor lifting.

All though people I see people put cars up on four stands at a time. I will just say foolish.

I have had a friend killed when his car fell on him so I'm over cautious.

So level surface and block the wheels to. My Friends car actually rolled off the stands.

When rotating tires USE YOUR SPARE just put it on with the bolts finger tight is good enough.

This way you can safely move the tires around one at a time and not lift the whole vehicle off the ground.

Better safe than sorry.

Even whey your careful things happen .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts