Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a goofy question. I use synthetic oil in my Traverse and go 10,000 miles between oil changes. Do you think it helps to change the oil filter at 5000 miles if I'm using the AC Delco filter that comes from GM? Or should I not worry about it until the next oil change? I know some are going to say that I am crazy for going 10,000 miles and that is fine but I am just looking for opinons on the oil filter. Thanks.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I am just curious as to your OLM reading when you get to 10k miles? I would imagine you havent done many oil changes...maybe 2 at most?

I am being just a little bit facetious but I think you would be better changing your oil every 5k miles and replacing the filter every other oil change than doing what you propose i.e. filter halfway through a 10k run of oil.

In any event the UOAs that I have seen seem to indicate that the OEM filter does just fine in filtering the oil i.e. one must look at the insoluble # (0.3% or less is what you want).

·
Registered
113 Posts
But I thought synthetic oils like Amsoil are good for like 25000 miles?????

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I use the AMSOIL but they don't make an oil filter for the Traverse. I changed the oil back at 10,000 miles and I am now at 19,800 and the DIC says I have 25% remaining. I just figured it is easier to keep up with if I change every 10,000 miles. I rotate the tires every 5,000 and change the oil every 10,000.

·
Registered
994 Posts
medman said:
But I thought synthetic oils like Amsoil are good for like 25000 miles?????
I think you would be playing with fire taking the engine oil past 10k miles (let alone 25k) in these Lambda engines. I think we can safely say that this DI engine is way hard on oil i.e. the wear #s seem high for relatively short intervals, lots of fuel dilution, etc.

See here for more details:

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=691.0

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=691.0

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
wtyer.
Checkout those links.

I would normally say- that going 10,000 and using the same oil filter is fine...
I mean- I do 11,500 miles on my Traiilblazer inline 6 with dino oil- (now has 154,000)- and the oil analysis Ive done on it- give favorable results- as compared to the OLM % oil life left. This is with using the filter for the 11,500 miles...

On the Traverses (Lambda's)- its a different story. Like he said- the Direct Injection engine- beats up the oil according to many Oil analysis posted.
So far on my 2010- Ive taken the oil to 5000 miles- with 50% life left- with regular dino.
Oil was OK. but I dont think it would last another 50%....
My current batch of oil just hit 4000--- and im thinking of taking it to 5500- or 6000. then doing a UOA.
the filter I change when I change oil....

Have you thought about doing a UOA on your oil..
It would be great to see how Amsoil stands up to the DI engine with 10,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
My current batch of oil just hit 4000--- and im thinking of taking it to 5500- or 6000. then doing a UOA.
I noticed in my last OCI that after about 4k miles on the oil I started to see slight consumption. I am thinking it may have been due to excessive fuel dilution which thinned out the oil significantly. Have you checked your level lately? Just curious.

rbarrios said:
Have you thought about doing a UOA on your oil..
It would be great to see how Amsoil stands up to the DI engine with 10,000 miles on it.
+1

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rbarrios - Where would be the best place to get a UOA from?

copperbeech - I checked it last week and it was at the same location as when I put it in 10,000 miles ago. I have used no oil or if I have it is so small I can't tell.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
Blackstone is who Ive used.
you can go to the website and request a free kit. theyll mail it to you.
If you need to change oil- and the kit has not arrived--- while youre draining oil- use a clean container to catch some of the (mid oil) dont want the beginning- and dont want the end.... then when the kit arrives- use the kit to mail off.
with Amsoil-- you may also be interested in getting the (extra $10)- extended oil use reading... theyll tell you if the oil is still good enough to go farther...
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

I checked the oil about 3 days ago- I noted no real oil consumption (via the dipstick).
My analysis with 5000- also showed no fuel in the oil sample. (does that mean no fuel was present before?).

·
Registered
865 Posts
rbarrios said:
My analysis with 5000- also showed no fuel in the oil sample. (does that mean no fuel was present before?).
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're on the L.A. freeways alot, and some of that time would be slower speeds with some stop-and-go mixed in. Your average daily commute is probably more than 15 miles each way, and your vehicle warms up quickly since ambient temperature in Southern California is usually above 50* F. I would suspect (even if my estimates are off a little) your Traverse puts very little fuel into the crankcase based upon the previously mentioned factors, but your Traverse would also have ample opportunity to burn off fuel present in the oil during the course of a daily commute.

Even if I'm mistaken, you find yourself in a very favorable (and enviable) position. :cheers:

I hope our first UOA shows only minute amounts of fuel as our Traverse will probably never obtain results comparable to yours.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
You are right on target.
My day starts off with temps in the 40-50 range.
I remote start just as Im headed to the door. that way I dont wait in the car as the vehicles RPM's get below 900...
I shift once im below 900- and drive away slowly. From my house to the freeway is 4 miles (city/residential) which takes about 15 min to do.
Once I get on the freeway- its about 16 miles of rush hour traffic. so 20 miles 1 way. this trip takes me about 45 min to 1 hour.
same for the afternoon drive home.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
Not necessarily. One could burn off existing fuel in the oil by doing a HWY run before sampling. But check the viscosity # for 100C. Does it show that it thinned/sheared?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
appears some has occured. (all of these are Dino oil)
my UOA

2010 traverse-
6,811 on engine- ---- 5,154 miles on oil- [email protected] = 8.82 [email protected] 50% (values should be 8.5 to 10.8 )

2003 Trailblazers
103,970 on engine----10,554 miles on oil- viscosity was = 9.90 [email protected] 0%
145,448 on engine----11,039 miles on oil- viscosity was =10.45 [email protected]%

2007 Impala
15,755 on engine ---- 5,049 miles on oil-viscosity was = 9.50 [email protected]%

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
appears some has occured. (all of these are Dino oil)
my UOA

2010 traverse-
6,811 on engine- ---- 5,154 miles on oil- [email protected] = 8.82 [email protected] 50% (values should be 8.5 to 10.8 )
Oh so you have yet to use a synthetic in the Traverse?

Considering what others have experienced re shear yours looks just fine. FWIW to you a synthetic should hold its viscosity better than a dino.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
nope- never have used Synthetic.

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
nope- never have used Synthetic.
Well your driving routine and moderate climate definitely allows you to give dino a run. But depending on the results of your current go of oil you might reconsider and use a quality synthetic :-\?

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
yup- im eager to see what my next UOA says.

its friday- and I need to drive home- return drive home on fridays is at least 1:15 to 1:30 for 20 miles- other days- about 55 min
I actually get home faster (about 45-50 min)- if I zig zag thru my special route- smaller side streets thru 8 cities-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts