Traverse Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought and owned over 3 dozen GM vehicles over the past 50 years and the last thing i ever expected was to buy anything else. When the new gen Traverse came out in 8/17 and the 3/36 was up on my '15 LT2 I bought one of the first '18 Premier redline's primarily because of all the new tech in the 2nd gen. I found it to be one of the finest Chevys driven and was pleased with the ride handling and utility of the vehicle despite early teething problems like the shift to Park failure to shut down, fluky rear camera cutout, water in taillight and broken sunshade shade lock within the 18 months. Dealer's service department is top notch and all problems which were a minor annoyance were successfully repaired under warranty.

Once again reached the 3/36 and had every intention of getting another '21 Traverse. My dealer handles both Chevy and Toyota makes and I have in the past resisted his suggestions to even look at his rice burners. This time I waivered because he said there wasn't much new tech in the new Traverse which was a key point in trading my '15 but the new 4th gen Highlander Platinum contained loads of new tech stuff especially in the proven drivetrain and handling. Told me to park the Traverse, had the tank filled, threw me the fob, slapped on a dealer's plate and said try the Highlander out for a day or two, especially on the unlit back country roads at night after I remarked that Traverse's LED "D" lenses were superior to the Highlander's LED projectors - but what the heck, it was his gas?

And that's the reason why I haven't posted for the past 8 months or so.....no more '18 Traverse. By the time I returned he offered $500 over Kelly Blue Book max. in excellent condition for my cherry '18 with the difference in cash against $1000 below sticker for the Highlander, rollout including tax & tags. The test rides were an eye opener driving a Highlander for a couple of days. The level of tech is advanced over the Traverse in particular the vector controlled steering and adaptive headlamps system. Monitors the change in center of gravity in the vehicle from centrifugal force in a sharp turn and in conjunction with the steering angle proportionally runs the outer wheels at a greater speed than the inner wheels and you can take a hairpin turn at a much faster speed than the Traverse. I was worried about poor lighting at night, no problem with lighting brightness or poor lighting in a turn.....the Highlander's headlamps system monitors the steering angle and pivots the headlamp beam into the turn, in addition to self leveling for keeping eyes on the road when descending or cresting teacup hills in the road......and with no annoying meniscus on low beam typical of the projector types using shutters. Tucker tried this adaptive lighting concept in his '48 model and failed.....works great in the Highlander.

Only fault I could find over the Traverse is that the hitch is an option, although already pre-wired for electric and the cargo area is shorter, can't fit a 4'x8' sheet internally with a max of 4'x7' . But, now I have a true panoramic moon roof with one piece consecutive run of glass front to back with a single auto retracting motorized shade that can be set by button at any opening instead of Traverse' two separate roofs with manual floppy manual shades. Both heated rear captain's chairs flip, partially flip, fully fold, slide and even recline to accommodate child seats, for comfort, or give full access both sides to the 3rd row. Automatic and manual button cameras for birds eye view not only rotates the vehicle 360 deg. but gives projection lines for both forward and rear and operational graphics are great show the amount of traction proportioned to each wheel in real time. The Nav also projects the screen onto the cluster and HUD displays, auto wipers, auto headlamps, auto high beam, retractable window shades, adjustable camera electronic rearview mirror, manual or radar cruise control etc. Too much to explain.

And the two engineering points that pi$$ed me off on the Traverse was the start/stop and engine fouling and brake booster problems related to direct injection on the 3.6l. All it took Toyota was superior engineering to solve both. The Highlander has a start/stop defeat button which when pressed will deactivate s/s for a complete engine cycle......BUT it also has a monitor controlled by the brake pressure that even when start stop is active, it will not stop the engine with normal stop at a stop sign or traffic light instead it will flash a message indicating that s/s has not occurred but can be manually stopped by pressing harder on the brake pedal, e.g. if waiting 10-15 min. for a triple header 200+ car conscript to clear a RR crossing. And no more valve carbon fouling in engines at 60K due to DI because the greater gas mileage 3.5l uses both DI and port injection interchangeably dependent on engine demand....this also means that the brake booster will not be vacuum starved and require an elaborate mechanical and/or electric vacuum pump system to assist with the vacuum supply.

So impressed I recently traded the '18 Malibu LT grocery getter for a '20 Rav4 xse, but that's a story for the Malibu board.

Gonna take a lot of engineering for GM to get my a$$ back into Chevys.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Have you kept your Chevy Truck? By the way I am sure your Toyota will be more reliable like most of the imported cars from Japan, Korea etc.
Nice to see you again ThomCat.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I definitely don't see myself getting another Chevy after this one. Haven't been impressed with the quality so far.

·
Registered
246 Posts
How’s the infotainment system? Last Toyota I was in wasn’t great (not that Chevy is great). Also how about the AWD? One reason I got the HC is for the upgraded AWD ok the traverse. Wonder how the Highlander does in comparison.

·
Registered
337 Posts
The Highlander hasn't switched to CVT has it? Thanks for the in-depth review and comments.

·
Registered
758 Posts
The Highlander is what I recommend to people looking for a smaller 3 row with kid only 3rd row seats. For my application, we need the bigger 3rd row and increased width/length for cargo. We drove a Highlander when we got our Pilot (drove the Traverse too at that time but ended up waiting a year to get a used Traverse) and that vintage ('15-'16) was a very boring vehicle in all ways, very appliance-like. The newer ones certainly have more style to make you want to get in and enjoy being in it.

Hard to argue with Toyota reliability (except for frame rust on the pickups). Enjoy the Highlander!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Thomcat,

Thanks for checking in and reporting your Toyota experiences. Will be looking forward to your RAV4 longer-term experience; because later this year I hope to replace my commuter car Volt with a RAV4 prime (if I can find one).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts