Traverse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I frequently receive this warning message that my left front tyre needs air.

When I take it to the workshop, I find nothing wrong with the tires. Actually it was the front right tires needed air in the last two times I checked that issue..

Last week I made tire rotation replacing rear tires with front ones. Surprisingly, two days ago I received the same message again..

Not sure if right or left depend on if you are sitting inside the vehicle or outside ..

Besides how come I am having this issue without visibly seeing any issue with the tires..

By the way, the tires are Bridgestone and bought them less than 3 years ago.

Any ideas why this is happening?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
45 Posts
Generally it happens if you have interchanged the tires or tire rotation has been done. So may be this is one of the reason

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You don't say what model year you have. If it's an early Gen 1, you can re-learn the tire sensors to the tires easily; there's a description in the owners manual (Pg 10-49 for 2011, "TPMS Sensor Matching Process"). If you have a later Gen 1 (2014 and later, I believe), or a Gen 2, you need to buy a cheap relearning tool.

See here:

OR do what I do: don't sweat which tire - just check all the tires when the pressure message comes up.

AND - It's normal for this message to come up as we go into the cooler weather of fall/winter, BUT if one of the tires needed air twice, then I'd say you have an issue with that tire.

·
Registered
2020 Traverse LT
31 Posts
You could also have a bad TPM (tire pressure monitor)....those are on/in the valve stem. They do go bad, you should replace when changing tires. Plus make sure your TPM programming is current.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Generally it happens if you have interchanged the tires or tire rotation has been done. So may be this is one of the reason
The problem is I was having the same message for the same tire before and after the tire rotation..

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You don't say what model year you have. If it's an early Gen 1, you can re-learn the tire sensors to the tires easily; there's a description in the owners manual (Pg 10-49 for 2011, "TPMS Sensor Matching Process"). If you have a later Gen 1 (2014 and later, I believe), or a Gen 2, you need to buy a cheap relearning tool.

See here:

OR do what I do: don't sweat which tire - just check all the tires when the pressure message comes up.

AND - It's normal for this message to come up as we go into the cooler weather of fall/winter, BUT if one of the tires needed air twice, then I'd say you have an issue with that tire.
I have Traverse 2012.

Actually, I do check all the tires when I get the message. What seems funny is the the message says the problem with my front left tire. When I check the air pressure for all tires, I find the front right tire has the lowest air pressure!!!

The same issue is now after doing tire rotation. This is confusing really.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You could also have a bad TPM (tire pressure monitor)....those are on/in the valve stem. They do go bad, you should replace when changing tires. Plus make sure your TPM programming is current.
Does this happen even when doing tire rotation?

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
I have Traverse 2012.

Actually, I do check all the tires when I get the message. What seems funny is the the message says the problem with my front left tire. When I check the air pressure for all tires, I find the front right tire has the lowest air pressure!!!

The same issue is now after doing tire rotation. This is confusing really.

With a 2012, you can re-learn the tire positions yourself. I'd do that, and see what happens. If the tires have been rotated but never re-learned, then the DIC isn't going to match the tire position.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With a 2012, you can re-learn the tire positions yourself. I'd do that, and see what happens. If the tires have been rotated but never re-learned, then the DIC isn't going to match the tire position.
That is correct. I'm afraid the tires have not been relearned after the rotation.

Will do that and post the update here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys, just to update you on this subject.

I took the car to a dealer service. The sensors are ok. They relearned the sensors and found the "guilty" tire

If the warning comes up again then there is some serious issue with it.

Thank you for the help all.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
its that time of year...
I get someone elses onstar report.. so I know his tires are low on air. Just got the email few days ago.
(his name is the same as mine- and bought a car at a dealer Ive used- so they must have crossed names/emails)

Also- just this morning at 5 am, guy I see eveyday pulling out of driveway- saw/heard him using one of those noisy electric air pumps to air up a tire- the kind you plug into cig lighter.--- which im sure his DIC said was low

Several weeks ago, I adjusted my cold tire pressure to 36.
Now that its cooler, when I roll away, tires are at 35 PSI... pretty soon ill adjust again as mornings get cooler

·
Registered
8 Posts
Guys, just to update you on this subject.

I took the car to a dealer service. The sensors are ok. They relearned the sensors and found the "guilty" tire

If the warning comes up again then there is some serious issue with it.

Thank you for the help all.

I found out a couple of months ago that a low battery in the TPMS sensor will give a false alert, also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts