Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would share, I replaced my reverse lights with bright white LED lights, I think it looks awesome. Install was rather easy, 10 minutes tops. Not knowing how to remove the stock bulb, hoping I was not going to have to remove the entire back piece to get to screws I noticed the lights pop right out with a screw driver. Pics below, tell me what you think.

I should add sorry the car is very dirty, it was raining all day and raining during these pictures so they are kind of blurry. Can take more if anyone is interested

light removed

back of light

light removed

LED 1

LED 2

·
Registered
17 Posts
can you explain how to pop them off with a screwdriver in a little more detail? i was afraid i was going to break them.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you open the hatch and look at the light from inside you can see the light wraps around and is held in place with two red pieces of the light that hang over the edge. Place a small screw driver in the gap between the light and the inside of the car and pull gently until the red pieces are flush with the car and not really holding the light in place. Then gently push the light from the outside towards the edge, the light will pop out. The only thing holding the lights in plce are two plastic pieces, no screws, nothing else. In the second picture showing the back of the light you can kind of see the two red pieces at the bottom.

Once you have that popped off, you dont have much slack you have to turn the bulb until it releases then you can completely remove light. When reinstalling make sure you pop the two red flaps on first and just push it back into place until it snaps.

Sorry the car is not here or I would take more pics, wife has it at the moment. I went into removing these blind, had no idea how to get them off. I was worried about snapping or breaking the light but I committed to just doing it and if it broke I would buy a new one. Luckly I was right, it just snaps off... just dont use too much force with the screw driver.

Hope that helps, if not I can take pics in a couple hours.

·
Registered
17 Posts
thanks that explains it. i was there but just afraid to break the tabs.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My question is that, apart from "looking awesome" (?), do these LEDs provide better illumination? My experience of swapping out brake light/turn signal bulbs for LEDs showed them to be significantly less bright and I reverted to standard. If your swap did improve illumination, could you please provide details of supplier and model number.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MartinC said:
My question is that, apart from "looking awesome" (?), do these LEDs provide better illumination? My experience of swapping out brake light/turn signal bulbs for LEDs showed them to be significantly less bright and I reverted to standard. If your swap did improve illumination, could you please provide details of supplier and model number.
Aside from "looking awesome (?)" I think they do illuminate brighter then regular bulbs, It appears the backup camera on my nav is brighter and easier to see. I threw the package away I can't remember who the manufacture was, I got them at my local auto parts store, or I am sure you could get some off ebay. Most high end cars have LED reverse and back up lights, I always liked the way the new cadillac reverse lights looked, very bright white and obviously LED.

It is my opinion they are just as bright if not brighter, however I like the look better regardless even if the illumination is the same.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for your reply - I'll see what's available.
Funny thing is, our Genesis is all LEDs at the back except the back-up lights!

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I got mine off ebay, I think they were somewhere around $10-12 dollars a bulb. I love them and get many compliments on them. After you turn your car off your backup lights stay lit for a couple seconds, they look really nice, especially at night (obviously)! I had a buddy get out and say, OOOHH LED lights... nice. He thought they came with them, I didnt say otherwise.

I recommend it. :cheers:

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: I have a set that I got off E-bay for my License plates on my Silverado and there great. I seen them for the Traverse also I guess I will have to give them a shot.

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
8) There is also a replacement guid on the supper bright's web site
the License plate bulb's are 194 or 194LL
the Back up bulb's are 912 or 912LL

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe that is the set I got off ebay. I have a picture of one LED and one stock installed, but it was not at night.... I will post it. I might get the license plate LED as well just not sure I want people to be able to see my plate better >:D

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: I just Ordered a set off the supper bights site they are the same LED’s and a couple of bucks cheaper.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VB - LTZ said:
:thumb: I just Ordered a set off the supper bights site they are the same LED’s and a couple of bucks cheaper.
Post pics here when you are done! Be gentle while taking off the rear lights, I was scared I was going to break them. They came off no problems and went back into place perfect.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this mod. I ordered the bulbs and set about to install them this afternoon. All did not go well. Had a rough time getting the lens off the car. Then installed the led bulb and compared the light output to the original on the other side. While the led is a white light and the original is more yellow, the original fills the reflector more than the led and definitely looks like it produces more light. So I put the the original back in and then the fun began. I had a heck of a time getting the lens reinstalled to stay without falling out. It's more complicated than just making sure the two "clips" slide into position. The opposite side of the lens must slide under the lip of the sheet metal too to keep the lens secure. Not so easy to do once the lens has been removed. There are two cream colored plastic clamps on the back of the lens that must slide under the sheet metal lip to secure that side of the lens and make a tight water proof seal. The clamps are loosened and tightened with attached nuts. The nuts need to be loosened so the lens will slide into position and then re-tightened to secure the lens. Impossible to do without partially removing the plastic molding on the back of the hatch. I won't get into that ordeal. Suffice it to say I won't be trying any further mods on the rear lights. :eek:hno:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
marjamr said:
I wouldn't recommend this mod. I ordered the bulbs and set about to install them this afternoon. All did not go well. Had a rough time getting the lens off the car. Then installed the led bulb and compared the light output to the original on the other side. While the led is a white light and the original is more yellow, the original fills the reflector more than the led and definitely looks like it produces more light. So I put the the original back in and then the fun began. I had a heck of a time getting the lens reinstalled to stay without falling out. It's more complicated than just making sure the two "clips" slide into position. The opposite side of the lens must slide under the lip of the sheet metal too to keep the lens secure. Not so easy to do once the lens has been removed. There are two cream colored plastic clamps on the back of the lens that must slide under the sheet metal lip to secure that side of the lens and make a tight water proof seal. The clamps are loosened and tightened with attached nuts. The nuts need to be loosened so the lens will slide into position and then re-tightened to secure the lens. Impossible to do without partially removing the plastic molding on the back of the hatch. I won't get into that ordeal. Suffice it to say I won't be trying any further mods on the rear lights. :eek:hno:
Not to be a jerk, I had no issues at all. As for the led's not giving off as much light, that might be true. However I find the light is easier to see in my nav back up camera and lights up a larger area. I am 100% satisfied. I didnt have to remove any molding or anything. I made sure the plastic tabs were behind the sheet metal first, then taped it with a rubber hammer and it snaped right into place easy as pie! I have also got so many compliments on the LED's as they stay on for like 30 seconds after the car is turned off....

Sorry this didnt work out for you.

·
Registered
381 Posts
FWIW, there are different quality LEDs. Not only is the number of diodes different, but so it the orientation of them and the output of each one. Maybe a bulb with a higher output would be better?

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) The LED bulbs have came in I just haven’t had time to install them yet when I had the hatch back open I was looking at the lens and see the 2 plastic tabs on the lens that snap over the side on the hatch. Did you use 2 screw drivers and pry them until the lens pop off or were you able to do one clip in a time? I don’t want to break the lens so I figured it would be better to ask some one that removed one already.

8) Steve

1 - 20 of 36 Posts