Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sunroof has been leaking for the last year. I took it to one dealership twice they made it worse. Tried another dealer today and just got a call from the service guy who told me that the sunroof is designed to leak. As long as the drain tubes are open then everything is working right. Has anyone else ever been told something this dumb before? :banghead:

·
Registered
115 Posts
It depends what you mean by leak. If you are getting water inside the vehicle, then no. If you mean getting water in the channels/area around the sunroof then yes, I believe that is what the draintubes are for.

·
Registered
248 Posts
8) I would ask him who you can write at GM to verify that. I know there is a drain system for small leakage if the sun roof was not tightly closed but I for sure would not believe that it was designed to leak all the time. I had a Chevy Avalanche that had an issue with the removable back window and you would be surprised asking to talk with a service rep from GM or writing them the dealership don’t want any bad input from customers to GM on behalf of there dealership. The dealership replaced the window that day after I talked to the GM rep.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
wtyer said:
My sunroof has been leaking for the last year. I took it to one dealership twice they made it worse. Tried another dealer today and just got a call from the service guy who told me that the sunroof is designed to leak. As long as the drain tubes are open then everything is working right. Has anyone else ever been told something this dumb before? :banghead:
If your vehicle is leaking INSIDE the vehicle, that is not an acceptable condition. If, as you stated, you have had the vehicle in for multiple repairs, without a happy ending, you may be qualifying for the lemon law buyback, depending on your state of residency.

Speak to the dealership SERVICE MANAGER / SERVICE DIRECTOR. Ask, without making a fist, to have a "sit down meeting" with the dealers' ASM .... AREA SERVICE MANAGER. Mr ASM represents the factory and is there to assist and direct any snafus that may occur between the customer and dealer or customer and Chevrolet. MR ASM is employed by Chevrolet Motor Division, not the dealer.

Good luck on this.

Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) The next time it rains I will take a flash light and take a close look at mine and see if that arrears to be a normal thing. A good friend of mine is my service rep at the dealership I may stop by and ask him. I agree you should always dealership service rep and deal with the GM service rep if the dealership is not giving you any satisfaction. I have a very good relationship with my dealership and it works for me all the way around getting parts at discounted rates and so on so you want to keep them on your side but if they don’t go to bat for you then I would do what you have to do including using another dealership.

8) Steve

·
Registered
860 Posts
Question: Have you washed your Traverse by hand yet? I have. And the first time I did it I noticed that moderate pressure (enough to get a dirty sunroof clean) will push the glass down in front a little bit (1/8"). I checked to make sure the sunroof was closed all the way--it was. This is probably not enough to cause a leak. But if the sunroof was exposed to a high-pressure drive-thru wash it might be enough to cause alot of water to find its way around the seal. Alot of snow sitting on the roof for a while may be enough to push the roof down--during a thaw cycle (or when the car is nice and warm inside) you would perhaps see a problem. This is only a theory of course.

We had a sunroof in our '99 Buick Regal. It never leaked. And when I washed it the glass never moved like the Traverse does.

I think Bob is providing some sound advice.

Best of luck.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Yes the high pressure from the car wash will push the sunroof down and water does find it's way past the seal and drips into the channel and out through the drain tubes, even during a hard rain it will. If you use the "search" option there is countless sunroof stuff, you might have to sort through some but you'll find what you are looking for. This is not what the 07 & 08 other Lambdas were going through, that was a tube routing issue and tubes being disconnected from heat and not being long enough. I had an 07' OUTLOOK replaced because of the sunroof leak issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Well it was raining this morning and now it is snowing again but I made a special point of looking at the sun roof and didn’t se any thing leaking. Dose this only happen with high pressure like you were saying at the car wash? This morning when it was raining it came down pretty good for a little bit. I have install a vent visor on my sun roof so I wonder if that did any thing because that installed on the lip were the gasket seats but I do not see any thing leaking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
VB - LTZ said:
Well it was raining this morning and now it is snowing again but I made a special point of looking at the sun roof and didn’t se any thing leaking. Dose this only happen with high pressure like you were saying at the car wash? This morning when it was raining it came down pretty good for a little bit. I have install a vent visor on my sun roof so I wonder if that did any thing because that installed on the lip were the gasket seats but I do not see any thing leaking.
No the visor does not case any leaking. Had one now for over 2 years. As 6 said, water coming in from the sunroof and falling into the drains is normal. It is not a LEAK. To me a leak is something that is not supposed do happen - like when on the 07 and 08's the drain tubes did not connect and the water leaked into the cabin. The drain pans are there for just such of an occurance of water coming in during heavy rain and high pressure washing. I have seen water come in from a really heavy downpour before, but in drips, not a steady stream. A steady stream would indicate a sunroof that may be out of alignment ( but that usually happens when someone has taken the sunroof our and it is not put in correctly. The problems with the leaking have been fixed with the 09's. Trust me, I had an 07 Outlook that leaked and now have an 09 Acadia that doesn't.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is interesting because my sunroof visor was letting water in where the sunroof seal meets the clips, kind of like the seal would'nt form itself around the clip. I took it off just before we went to FL in DEC and have'nt put it back on yet, dont know if I will, I'm paranoid :confused: because of the 07' deal :sosad:. On the way to FL it was raining super hard and some drips came in at the corners and fell in the tracks, not too much or steady, I think it's designed to do that. Somewhere on the Enclave forum a tech talks about this, I'll see if I can find it. http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=2039.msg56872#msg56872

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mine are drips not streams. It happens with any water. I took a cup of water out last night and poured it on the sunroof around the edges and water dripped in. I am waiting on more rain so I can go out and do more of my own adjusting since the dealers don't seem to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have looked at mine and I don’t see any drips but if it did drip during a heavy rain. I would have to agree that it what the drain tubing it for as long as water is not coming in the vehicle damaging the interior that good for me. If you have water dripping in to the drain if just any water is on top like poring a glass of water on the sun roof and its starts dripping through you are right the dealership should adjust that. I would make them adjust it until it only happens in a down pour because if it drips that easily then in a down pour it my be overwhelming for the drain line.

8) Steve

1 - 12 of 12 Posts