Traverse Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope the new Traverse will not have the leak problems that the Outlooks, Acadias, and Enclaves have. If you look at those forums, people are constantly reporting water leaks and ruined interiors with vehicles that have sunroofs or roof rails. Why the **** can't GM solve this problem? Does anyone at Gm read these forums? I'm thinking of getting a new Outlook or Traverse with a sunroof and I don't want water leaks!! Could it be just a problem at the factory that builds the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave, and maybe the Traverse won't have the problem because it is going to be built at a different factory? Hello GM is anybody listening?? :banghead:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You are blowing the leaking issue way out of proportion. If you really look at the "complaints" objectively, the people with the leaking problem make up about 1% of FORUM members....and that only translates to about 0.01%-0.1% of TOTAL lambda owners. I have TWO lambdas with sunroofs and no leaks! Keep in mind that reading these forums can give the "perception" that a problem is widespread, when in actuality the problem affects a VERY VERY small fraction of a percentage of ALL vehicles. People are more likely to post a COMPLAINT on a forum in the interest of finding help than they are of just posting "positive praise" or "no problems noted" on a regular basis. My dealer has had zero leak complaints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I admit that is true, but it is such a terrible problem for the people that have it because it also many times damages interiors of their vehicles and my issue is that alot of the owners have had to take their vehicles to the dealer a few times to get it fixed and some of them still don't have it fixed. That becomes the main issue. It seems that some dealers don't know how to fix it the first time, but leaks can be hard to find. I have an 02 Yukon with a sunroof and have never had any leaks. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers that when I get an Outlook or Traverse with the sunroof that I am in the lucky majority!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I can understand your paranoia. My first experience with a "car owners forum" was when I bought my 2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT. It had a sunroof (my first) and there seemed to be a rash of people complaining of sunroof drain tube leaks on the grandamgt.com forum as well which caused me much concern and worry. However, when I traded it in last month with over 165K miles on it, it was still "water tight". Good luck with your purchase! :thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
The same leak issue can be said of all manufacturers with sunroofs. My buddy with a Mustang has had his car in the shop 14 times for a leaky sunroof and it still leaks. Another one with an Audi and VW Rabbit and both of their suroofs leak. I hate to say it but if you have a sunroof you should go into it with the expectation of a leak at some point sometimes sooner than one would like. I know myself I have never had a sunroof on a car thus I have avoided the leak issue by doing so.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ccaats said:
You are blowing the leaking issue way out of proportion. If you really look at the "complaints" objectively, the people with the leaking problem make up about 1% of FORUM members....and that only translates to about 0.01%-0.1% of TOTAL lambda owners. I have TWO lambdas with sunroofs and no leaks! Keep in mind that reading these forums can give the "perception" that a problem is widespread, when in actuality the problem affects a VERY VERY small fraction of a percentage of ALL vehicles. People are more likely to post a COMPLAINT on a forum in the interest of finding help than they are of just posting "positive praise" or "no problems noted" on a regular basis. My dealer has had zero leak complaints.
Your math is intellectually dishonest. You cannot assume that every forum member has a sunroof (or even has a Lambda, for that matter). And you can't assume that every sunroof owner with leaks finds these forums and lodges a complaint. Then you go on to argue that we should rely on your 2 non-leaking Lambdas - now there's a big sample size! When over 50% of 100+ sunroof owners that responded to this poll report leaks, that may be indicative of a problem:

http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=1956.0

Maybe they've fixed it, or maybe they haven't. If you review my posts on the Acadia forum, I think you will find that I am far from an alarmist. I have nothing against sunroofs either - in fact I'd like to get one on my next vehicle. It was a non-issue on my Acadia purchase because the vehicle was for my wife and she didn't want one. But I honestly would not take a chance on a Lambda with a sunroof. I do hope that GM has fixed the problem and you continue to have no problems with your Lambdas.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hmmmm.....let's just look at the Acadia Forum then. 68 reported leaks on the forum / 5166 forum members = 1.32% of forum members reporting a leak. 68 reported leaks / 116,431 (All Acadias sold) = 0.0584% of all Acadias sold. I fail to see how that is being "intellectually dishonest" when the original poster of this forum REFERENCED the forums and the "supposed" CONSTANT reporting of leaks on said forums as causing them concern. The only "hard numbers" at our disposal are the above numbers from the forums and the only evidence I had to go on. How is taking actual mathematically supported statistical data from said forums being "intellectually dishonest"?

I truly am sorry for those that have had a leaking problem and am not trying to minimize it. HOWEVER, as someone else posted here.....EVERY model of every car built with a sunroof, moonroof, etc.....is going to have SOME bad apples that will have leaks. It is only the law of averages. I simply do not believe that there is a higher risk of leaks on a lambda with sunroofs than on any other vehicle with sunroofs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
ccaats said:
Hmmmm.....let's just look at the Acadia Forum then. 68 reported leaks on the forum / 5166 forum members = 1.32% of forum members reporting a leak. 68 reported leaks / 116,431 (All Acadias sold) = 0.0584% of all Acadias sold. I fail to see how that is being "intellectually dishonest" when the original poster of this forum REFERENCED the forums and the "supposed" CONSTANT reporting of leaks on said forums as causing them concern. The only "hard numbers" at our disposal are the above numbers from the forums and the only evidence I had to go on. How is taking actual mathematically supported statistical data from said forums being "intellectually dishonest"?

I truly am sorry for those that have had a leaking problem and am not trying to minimize it. HOWEVER, as someone else posted here.....EVERY model of every car built with a sunroof, moonroof, etc.....is going to have SOME bad apples that will have leaks. It is only the law of averages. I simply do not believe that there is a higher risk of leaks on a lambda with sunroofs than on any other vehicle with sunroofs.
Clearly you didn't even read my post. Your logic is just plain flawed because it makes invalid assumptions, which I won't bother to repeat since you didn't read them the last time. Here's the real math:

116 voters with sunroofs on the Acadia forum.
63 leakers (54%!)

Do I think that 54% of Lambda sunroofs actually leak? Of course not. I understand it's an unscientific poll. But I sure as heck don't believe that only .0584% leak either. Why would you even express it as a percentage of all Lambdas sold anyway? This issue is on Lambdas with sunroofs. And if there is not a higher risk of leaks with Lambdas, why did they have to issue a recent TSB about it that lists a litany of reasons why they leak?

#07-08-57-002E: Water Dripping from A-Pillars or Rear Dome/Reading Lamp (Apply Sealer/Lengthen Drain) - (Jun 6, 2008)

Subject: Water Dripping from "A" Pillars or Rear Dome/Reading Lamp (Apply Sealer/Lengthen Drain)

Models: 2008 Buick Enclave
2007-2008 GMC Acadia
2007-2008 Saturn OUTLOOK
with 2-Panel Sunroof (Power Tilt/Sliding Front Panel, Fixed Rear Panel with Power Sunscreen) (RPO C3U)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to add additional repair information and Warranty Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-57-002D (Section 08 -- Body and Accessories).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers may comment on water dripping/leaking from the rear dome/reading lamp (located just rearward of the fixed glass) or from either " A" pillars.

Cause
The above conditions may be caused by any of the following:

The stationary glass roof drains may allow too much water for the drain system and thus overflows onto the headliner and into the vehicle.
Heat from the roof may cause the right or left middle sunroof drain tubes to shrink and come off at its attaching point on the module.
A drain hose may not be fully seated.
A drain hose may be improperly routed.
There may be a void in the sealer under the roof ditch molding.
The end of one of the front drains may be plugged with grease from the sunroof or debris may be caught in the cross hatch at the end of the drain tubes.
Correction
For Acadia/Outlook Built Prior to VIN 37J153734, Enclave built prior to VIN8J102237 complete Corrections 1 through 4 using the procedures found below.

For Vehicles Acadia/Outlook/Enclave built prior to VIN 08J166747, complete Corrections 2 through 4 using the procedures found below.

Plug stationary sunroof drain holes.
Add sunroof drain hose extensions.
Check all drain hose connections.
Check the drain hose routing between the "B" and "C" pillar for correct routing.
Check the roof ditch molding for water leak.
Check for plugged sunroof drains drains.
For Vehicles Built After the Above VINs:

Normal water test and diagnosis should be done for water leaks 5 and 6.

·
Registered
426 Posts
There definitely was an issue with early build Lambdas having leaky sunroofs. But the good news you should take away from that TSB is that it was acknowledged by GM and solutions were devised. After a certain build date, noted by VIN 08J166747, newer model Lambdas have these fixes in place from the factory and leaks should no longer be an issue. the OP on here was hoping the Traverse wouldn't suffer the same leak issues that early Lambdas had. I believe that TSB provides the answer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:thumb: Glad to hear the problem has been solved for the 09 Lambdas. Hope all the people that got leakers get the issue solved soon!! Thanks GM.

·
Registered
73 Posts
scarpi said:
Well I admit that is true, but it is such a terrible problem for the people that have it because it also many times damages interiors of their vehicles and my issue is that alot of the owners have had to take their vehicles to the dealer a few times to get it fixed and some of them still don't have it fixed. That becomes the main issue. It seems that some dealers don't know how to fix it the first time, but leaks can be hard to find. I have an 02 Yukon with a sunroof and have never had any leaks. So I guess I'll just cross my fingers that when I get an Outlook or Traverse with the sunroof that I am in the lucky majority!
1. Dealers are cleaning, repairing, or replacing any damaged items due to the leaks.
2. Most of the time the second and third visits for leaks are not from the same draing tube. I had 3 visits:1, for right side drain, 2, for left side drain, 3, for leaking aroung roof rack connectors. Originaly dealers and customers thought it was only on the left side and not the right.
3. I still love my 07 Outlook more than a year later! All the 08 leaks that I have noticed were the ones with June to August 07 build dates. I don't recall any of the lambdas built after that time frame having leaks, could be wrong, but don't recall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts