Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Traverse since June 15th, assembly date was June 4th.

What is the meaning and / or significance of the word "Lambda" ? ???

Thanks,
Bob

·
Registered
272 Posts
Lambda is the platform the Traverse is built on. In other words, its the foundation that everything is mounted to. You can have 1 platform that works with many vehicles like this one does with just small differences. To make it simpler, if you removed the exterior sheet metal, interior, engine, transmission, and suspension from a Traverse it would look very close to lets say an Enclave.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
from Wikipedia.

Lambda is General Motors' full-size crossover SUV automobile platform. A Buick Enclave concept car was previewed at the 2006 North American International Auto Show; the first Lambda vehicle on sale was the Saturn Outlook, introduced in April 2007 at the New York Auto Show. It is largely derived from the GM Epsilon platform, the same platform that makes the Chevrolet Malibu, Saturn Aura, and Pontiac G6.

The GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and production Enclave followed in mid-2007. The 2009 Chevrolet Traverse was unveiled in February 2008 at the Chicago Auto Show, and released in fall 2008. It is confirmed that Cadillac will receive a Lambda vehicle in 2012, which could possibly replace the current GMT900-based Escalade.[1] Pontiac was originally scheduled to receive a Lambda model, but it was given to GMC as the two brands were merged into the same dealership channel.

Lambda vehicles feature easily-accessible three-row seating. They are supplied with a choice of engines, including the 3.0 DI V6, & the LY7 3.6-liter V6. With the cancellation of GM's next-generation DOHC V8, it appears unlikely that GM will offer a V8 engine for Lambda. The platform has been designed for front and all-wheel drive applications. .

Lambda vehicles are produced in the new Lansing Delta Township Assembly plant near Lansing, Michigan. The Traverse began production in September 2008 at a retooled Spring Hill Assembly Plant in Tennessee.

·
Registered
78 Posts
"With the cancellation of GM's next-generation DOHC V8, it appears unlikely that GM will offer a V8 engine for Lambda. "

What a shame - it would be so sweet with the LS4 small block out of my Impala SS!

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
A V8 for towing would be better with RWD- I would think?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for their replies, I now understand about the Lambda platform. Where did the word "Lambda" derive from ..... why "Lambda"?

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's all Greek to me!

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
GM is using greek letters to denote the platforms... in this case lambda.
other platforms are
some of the cars on these platforms are mentioned (theres more in each)

theta- saturn vue, Pontiac torrent,equinox- etc
delta- Ion, HHR
gamma-Corsa, Meriva
kappa-Sky, Solstice
sigma-Caddy CTS, SRX
zeta-2010 camaro, 2006 Caprice, Buick park avenue
alpha- to come in 2012.

theres also alot of other platforms that dont use the greek alphabet-- like the GMT-360- which are the platform for the Trailblazer. Envoy. Bravada. Ascender. etc.

on an interesting note--- the solstice- shares alot from different cars...
The Kappa architecture uses major components from nearly every GM division and modern platform:

The rear axle and differential are from the Sigma-based Cadillac CTS
The Solstice's interior storage bin is from the Y-body Cadillac XLR
The passenger-side airbag, steering column, and exterior and interior door handles are from the Delta-based Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5
The Solstice's backup lights are from the GMT360 GMC Envoy
The heating, ventilating, and air conditioning modules are from the Hummer H3
The Solstice's front fog lamp assembly is from the W-body Pontiac Grand Prix
The Solstice's steering wheel is from the Delta-based Pontiac G5
The 2.4 L Ecotec engine is shared with the Delta-based Saturn Ion, Pontiac G6, Chevrolet Cobalt, Pontiac G5, and Chevrolet HHR
The five-speed manual transmission is from the Hummer H3, GMC Canyon, and Chevrolet Colorado
The five-speed automatic is from the Cadillac CTS, STS, and SRX

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Roberto,

Thanks for the DETAILED reply ....my question is now answered.

You must be a GM engineer, is that correct?

Bob

·
Registered
407 Posts
rbarrios said:
from Wikipedia.

Lambda is General Motors' full-size crossover SUV automobile platform. A Buick Enclave concept car was previewed at the 2006 North American International Auto Show; the first Lambda vehicle on sale was the Saturn Outlook, introduced in April 2007 at the New York Auto Show. It is largely derived from the GM Epsilon platform, the same platform that makes the Chevrolet Malibu, Saturn Aura, and Pontiac G6.

The GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and production Enclave followed in mid-2007. The 2009 Chevrolet Traverse was unveiled in February 2008 at the Chicago Auto Show, and released in fall 2008. It is confirmed that Cadillac will receive a Lambda vehicle in 2012, which could possibly replace the current GMT900-based Escalade.[1] Pontiac was originally scheduled to receive a Lambda model, but it was given to GMC as the two brands were merged into the same dealership channel.

Lambda vehicles feature easily-accessible three-row seating. They are supplied with a choice of engines, including the 3.0 DI V6, & the LY7 3.6-liter V6. With the cancellation of GM's next-generation DOHC V8, it appears unlikely that GM will offer a V8 engine for Lambda. The platform has been designed for front and all-wheel drive applications. .

Lambda vehicles are produced in the new Lansing Delta Township Assembly plant near Lansing, Michigan. The Traverse began production in September 2008 at a retooled Spring Hill Assembly Plant in Tennessee.
Take everything from wikipedia with a grain of salt. This review is mostly true, but there was not a 3.0 DI available in any Lambda. As for the Lambda platform being derived from Epsilon....that's debatable. I don't believe that one.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
Roberto,

Thanks for the DETAILED reply ....my question is now answered.

You must be a GM engineer, is that correct?

Bob
Nope.... just a GM fan.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
09Enclave said:
Take everything from wikipedia with a grain of salt. This review is mostly true, but there was not a 3.0 DI available in any Lambda. As for the Lambda platform being derived from Epsilon....that's debatable. I don't believe that one.
I missed that about the 3.0.
But yes- since Wikipedia is updated by users- it appears that some early info has not been corrected...

·
Registered
73 Posts
09Enclave said:
Probably just the engine mounts is it. Considerable differences in the over all size and design.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts