Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm guessing the Traverse will be in the same EPA range as the other lambda models (17-23). But I have read on some other forums of owners getting a very wide range of real life mileage on this, e.g. 9 and 13 MPG on the Acadia. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?? I am really interested in the Traverse and I can live with 18-20 MPG, but I can't live with 13. Thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My $0.02. It depends on where you live and how you drive.

We have an 08 AWD Enclave. Around suburbia in the winter we will average 14 MPG or so. I think this is due to the colder weather in MN in the winter. I suspect it will get better as the weather warms because my recollection is that the mileage was better last summer. If you are more of a freeway cruiser I think you will average more like 18-22 MPG. Starting and stopping kills the mileage IMHO. It takes gas to get a 5000lb pig moving.

·
Registered
426 Posts
otto - two things... First, the Traverse (and in fact, all 2009 Lambdas) should get slightly better fuel economy because of the change to a Direct Injection engine. In most applications, it appears to be making about 1-2 MPG difference. So instead of 16/24 (FWD) you can most likely expect EPA estimates of 17/25 to 18/26. (AWD is a bit less)

As far as real world numbers, like zman says, it all depends on how you drive and your local terrain. In the DC suburbs, we get an almost constant 17 MPG in 100% city driving, about 19.5 in mixed driving (70% city, 30% highway), and hover around 24-25mpg at highway speeds (60-75mph) in our FWD 2007 Acadia SLT1. It's mostly flat terrain around here and that's using a light foot with easy acceleration. I can VERY easily drop that to 12-13mpg by using jackrabbit starts and giving it more gas than needed to get to to speed (basically, by driving it like I do my G35 coupe).

The bottom line is, the EPA estimates are achievable if you drive it like you intend to conserve fuel. Without thinking about it and just driving normally with 70-75% stop-n-go driving, you can expect about 1mpg better than my avg with an 09 model, so 19-20mpg, again, depending on the weather, terrain, etc. The truth is, there's NO other SUV this size that gets better (or even equal) gas mileage (the Yukon Hybrid comes close, at twice the price).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re: Traverse MPGs

FYI
i took my Traverse LT on a little road trip recently & these were my numbers:

trip length: 53.9 miles (highway)
gas consumed: 2.4
actual mileage: 22.46
Odometer: 700++ miles

same day
trip length: 55 miles (highway)
gas consumed: 2.4
actual mileage: 22.92

Additional info: three persons riding with front & rear a/c on

anybody with better numbers than this, pls let me know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts