Traverse Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in my 2009 Traverse LS (156,000 mi) on Thursday. I replaced Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend and a Fram TG10060 oil filter with direct replacements(same brands). Oil has been changed every 3-5000 miles throughout the vehicle's history. Today I noticed a knocking/clanking sound at around 2000rpm and a huge reduction in power(couldn't climb up my driveway). It seemed to idle higher than normal(usually idles at 500rpm, but was idling around 1200rpm) and a lot rougher than normal(rpms were bouncing up and down). Checked the oil level and it was good and the oil looked pretty clean(only 60 miles on the oil). Continues the rough idle in neutral and park as well. Any ideas on what might be causing it?

·
Registered
781 Posts
Did you have any codes before hand? Running with low oil level? Any Misfires? I am thinking you may have been burning rich and have a clogged cat or two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update:
Changed the oil again. Didn't find any metal in the oil. Sounds a little better after the second oil change but not by much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NVFD,

That sure sounds like significant engine mechanical problems. I'd go to a compression test next. I can't think of anything like that caused by an oil change. Fingers crossed that I'm wrong!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Update:
Changed the oil again. Didn't find any metal in the oil. Sounds a little better after the second oil change but not by much.

Change the filter again with the second oil change?

Not to bad mouth any particular non OEM filter, but burned a set of main bearings in a 1 yo Plymouth V6 because the "interchangeable" non OEM brand that had a slightly different dimension blocked the oil standpipe on the engine. Luckily the service rep "accommodated" me after taking a quick look saying they didn't have time to drop the pan and rescheduled me to return the next day, warning if you expect to have any engine repairs done under warranty it had better have a Mopar oil filter installed ion the engine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I changed the oil in my 2009 Traverse LS (156,000 mi) on Thursday. I replaced Castrol GTX High Mileage Synthetic Blend and a Fram TG10060 oil filter with direct replacements(same brands). Oil has been changed every 3-5000 miles throughout the vehicle's history. Today I noticed a knocking/clanking sound at around 2000rpm and a huge reduction in power(couldn't climb up my driveway). It seemed to idle higher than normal(usually idles at 500rpm, but was idling around 1200rpm) and a lot rougher than normal(rpms were bouncing up and down). Checked the oil level and it was good and the oil looked pretty clean(only 60 miles on the oil). Continues the rough idle in neutral and park as well. Any ideas on what might be causing it?
There is your problem, Fram oil filter. Have seen it over and over again. Check TSB 10-06-01-003C
This engine has very small oil passages in head gasket going to the cams, Fuzz from cheap filters clogs these up and destroys the engine. Owners fault for using cheap filters.

·
Registered
709 Posts
There is your problem, Fram oil filter. Have seen it over and over again. Check TSB 10-06-01-003C
This engine has very small oil passages in head gasket going to the cams, Fuzz from cheap filters clogs these up and destroys the engine. Owners fault for using cheap filters.
Had to dig up an old thread just to trash the OP and be a know-it-all?

Reactions: c&wsinbad
1 - 8 of 8 Posts