Traverse Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm looking to buy a new traverse with the push button start and a keypad on it. Does anyone have experience with this combo? Specifically I want to be able to leaves the keys in the car and lock it with the keypad on the outside. Will this work? It does for Ford because the keypad overrides the locking button on the handle if the car is locked with the keypad. I wasn't sure about Chevy. Also if someone broke the window whould they still be able to start the car? Or does locking with the keypad override the start/stop button until the car is unlocked?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Why would you want to lock the keys in the car?
Like you said, if someone broke a window...they can then start the car.

I'm not sure if the keypad ties into the car system to disable the starting or not. You'd probably have to ask someone who has it (I'd never seen this keypad until you posted this), or see if the GM accessory people could answer that.

Also...I believe you can turn it off, thru the infotainment system, but there is a reminder (horn beep) that tells you that you left the key fob in the car when locking it btw.
And a reminder on the gauge cluster screen too.

With the keyless entry system, on the car from the factory, you can just leave the key in your pocket all the time. Just press the button on the door handle to either lock/unlock it, and then get in & press the start button to start the car.
It never has to leave your pocket.
Saves you the $120-145 for the accessory keypad too.

Unless your issue is that you wear pants without pockets? :unsure:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Everything I have seen is that the keypad is so new to Chevy that no one knows. The biggest thing is we go out on a boat or go out swimming a lot, so it is convenient to be able to lock the keys in the car and use a keypad to enter. That way we don't risk dropping the keys in the water or someone stealing them while we are swimming.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Why would you want to lock the keys in the car?
Like you said, if someone broke a window...they can then start the car.

I'm not sure if the keypad ties into the car system to disable the starting or not. You'd probably have to ask someone who has it (I'd never seen this keypad until you posted this), or see if the GM accessory people could answer that.

Also...I believe you can turn it off, thru the infotainment system, but there is a reminder (horn beep) that tells you that you left the key fob in the car when locking it btw.
And a reminder on the gauge cluster screen too.

With the keyless entry system, on the car from the factory, you can just leave the key in your pocket all the time. Just press the button on the door handle to either lock/unlock it, and then get in & press the start button to start the car.
It never has to leave your pocket.
Saves you the $120-145 for the accessory keypad too.

Unless your issue is that you wear pants without pockets? :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Someone on the Forum said the battery on their dealer installed keyless entry keypad died. They were told the battery could not be changed. Just happened to me after about 14 months of very light use. Making the $110 keypad and $135 labor (need a dealer to install it) lost money. So, I removed the keypad and stripped off the back gasket. The battery was easy to get to. Bought a new battery (ECR2032 two-pack) for about $5 on Amazon. And it works again. Both the original code and the vanity code I had added. I carefully sealed the back of the keypad with Gorilla heavy duty double sided mounting tape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts