Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We happen to be on vacation and the keys are stuck in the ignition with no way to roll the ignition switch to the full "off" position. It stays in "acc" mode. Also the windows will not roll up/down and the reverse camera quit working. I tried many different ways to get the key out at first, but to no avail. As I was messing with the window switches, I decided to hit the window lock switch. When I did this, I heard a high-pitched buzzing sound under the steering column and then I was able to turn the key to the full "off" mode. I am curious how the dealer will explain this one. Has anyone else experienced any of this? I ran into someone else with an identical issue after a Google search, but there were no replies and no way to contact the person leaving the post. I plan on taking back to the dealer on Monday...

A

·
0 Posts
Sounds to me like you are having a battery/power issue, but the high pitched buzzing sound followed by you being able to rotate the key to off is a little strange. Normally is the battery is dead; the key remains stuck until you replace the battery or jump start the vehicle. Hopefully your dealer can find something

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had no power issues at all. It starts fine, etc. I guess with GM's serial data and the BCM, anything is possible. I'll let you know what the dealer says.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just curious...did you try to move the shift out of Park, then back to Park. Had a rental once (not Traverse) and the gear shift was not quite in the Park mode. Curious to know what dealer says...keep us posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I did try this. The switch that activates or deactivates as the case may be to allow the key to rotate, is triggered from another switch at the gearshift. I had thought of trying to gain access to that switch until everything else quit working.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not sure if this was the same issue as I didn't hear any noise, however my key go stuck and I couldn't get it out and the steering wheel would not move. I can't remember in what position the key was stuck in. In any event, I did a google search and found out that if you turn the wheel as far as it will go in one direction it released the wheel and the key. Weird I thought, but I was freaked out when I couldnt get the key out!

A

·
0 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
In any event, I did a google search and found out that if you turn the wheel as far as it will go in one direction it released the wheel and the key. Weird I thought, but I was freaked out when I couldnt get the key out!
Did you try this method and did it work?

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's been a while since I was here but I found this service bulletin:

Ignition Key Cannot Be Inserted, Rotated, or Removed from the Ignition Lock Cylinder

Step
Action
Yes
No

Ensure the transmission shift lever is in the PARK position and the steering column is NOT in the locked position.
Verify the ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition lock cylinder.
Can the ignition key be removed from the ignition lock cylinder?
Yes - Go to Step 4
No - Go to Step 2

Verify the ignition key cannot be turned to the OFF position.

Can the ignition key be turned to the OFF position?
Yes - Go to Step 3
No - Go to Step 7

Verify the ignition key cannot be removed from the ignition lock cylinder.

Can the ignition key be removed from the ignition lock cylinder?
Yes - Go to Step 7
No - Go to Step 12

Verify the ignition key cannot be fully inserted and rotated without sticking in any position.

Can the ignition key be fully inserted into the ignition lock cylinder and be rotated without sticking in any position?
Yes - Go to Step 7
No - Go to Step 5

Inspect for an incorrect, worn, or damaged ignition key.

Is the ignition key incorrect, worn, or damaged?
Yes - Go to Step 10
No - Go to Step 6

Inspect the ignition key. Clean the entire middle groove area of the side milled ignition key.

Can the cleaned key be fully inserted into the ignition lock cylinder and be rotated without sticking in any position?
Yes - Go to Step 13
No - Go to Step 12

Verify the adjustment of the shift control cable. Refer to Range Selector Lever Cable Adjustment.

Can the ignition key be turned to the OFF position and be removed?
Yes - Go to Step 13
No - Go to Step 8

Attempt to override the ignition lock solenoid on the ignition and start switch housing.

Yes - Go to Step 9
No - Go to Step 12

Inspect the electrical system for improper operation. Refer to Ignition Can/Cannot Be Turned Off with Transmission in Any Gear and to Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections.

Yes - Go to Step 13
No - Go to Step 11

Replace the ignition key. Refer to Adding Keys.

Did you complete the repair?
Yes - Go to Step 13
--

Replace the floor shifter. Refer to Automatic Transmission Range Selector Lever Replacement.

Yes - Go to Step 13
--

Replace the ignition lock cylinder. Refer to Ignition Lock Cylinder Replacement.

Yes - Go to Step 13
--

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?
System OK ----- (hopefully ;) )
--

·
Registered
551 Posts
AA/78U said:
Did you try this method and did it work?
Yeah it worked. I hard to turn the wheel as hard as I could ( the wheel was not really moving as it was locked in place, I just had to put pressure on it in one direction) and then it just unlocked and the key would come out. Odd I know, but it worked. Only happend that one time.

A

·
0 Posts
I wonder if this would work if you actually had a dead battery since the ignition is electronic and requires power to release the key

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
AA/78U said:
I wonder if this would work if you actually had a dead battery since the ignition is electronic and requires power to release the key
A good reason to program Onstar into your cell.

Bob

·
Registered
11,435 Posts
and look thru your onstar manuals- and take that decal they give you and place it on the glass of your car. (the decal with the Onstar #)

·
Registered
73 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
A good reason to program Onstar into your cell.

Bob
How would this help? If the battery is dead Onstar would not work and they wouldn't be able to gain access, unless you were calling for road side assistance. But in the OP case I don't think Onstar could have done anything either as the key was stuck, and they were in the car.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
khansen30 said:
How would this help? If the battery is dead Onstar would not work and they wouldn't be able to gain access, unless you were calling for road side assistance. But in the OP case I don't think Onstar could have done anything either as the key was stuck, and they were in the car.
Onstar would be the contact to get service or towing to you, instead of calling a tow facility on your own.

Bob

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a different number for roadside assistance, which I have already used, not Onstar. Regardless, I have both the stickers for phone numbers on the window of my Traverse. I have also locked my keys inside once, and having the onstar sticker on the window made it easier for me to call w/ my cellphone to unlock....... I apologize, I know this is way off topic but just curious that some have Onstar as their roadside assistance contact.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I managed to find the link between the window lock switch and being able to remove the key. It seems there is a short in the wiring harness leaving the driver's door. I can press hard on the inside door panel (with the door closed) and the yellow light on the switch will illuminate. Once the switch is illuminated, everything works as it should. I am assuming this short is affecting communications with the body control module and disrupting operation of different controls. Below is a list of affected controls:
1. Ignition switch will not release key
2. Rear-view camera will not work
3. XM radio will not display station information
4. Windows will not roll up/down
All of these resume operation once I press on the door panel. Hopefully this information will help the tech at the dealership. Headed there this morning...

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
You can bet your diagnosis will help the tech ..... that is good work!

bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi KDCRacer, how did your visit to the dealership go? I have a 2008 Saturn Outlook and experienced the same problem today where the key is stuck in the ignition in the ACC position, it will not turn to the off position. My power windows and power sunroof and right rear tail light do not work, however my back up camera works. I tried what you mentioned regarding pushing on the inside door panel, but that did not work for me. I know my battery is good because the vehicle starts with no problems, I just can't get the key out. I had to disconnect the battery in order to prevent it from being drained with the key in the acc position.

Just wondering if your dealer solved the problem and if you can share what the problem was before I take mine in. Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The dealership found a low-voltage reference wire with an intermittent short in the driver's door. Every time it would ground, it clouded communication with the body control module. This is why so many other items would quit working. I have the circuit number at the house and will post it later if anyone needs it. Hope this helps. It is funny because the service writer stated that he has not seen many Traverses come in for service. Yet mine has had this recent issue and transmission problems when reverse failed. Hope everone else has better luck.

A

·
0 Posts
KDCRacer said:
The dealership found a low-voltage reference wire with an intermittent short in the driver's door. Every time it would ground, it clouded communication with the body control module. This is why so many other items would quit working. I have the circuit number at the house and will post it later if anyone needs it. Hope this helps. It is funny because the service writer stated that he has not seen many Traverses come in for service. Yet mine has had this recent issue and transmission problems when reverse failed. Hope everone else has better luck.
Definitely post the circuit number just in case this happens to someone else; thanks

1 - 20 of 47 Posts