Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the first things I did when I bought my Traverse was to check to see if K&N had a custom replacement reusable air filter. They didn't. I knew it was a matter of time until they built one so I've checked back a few times over the past year and they now have a custom 1,000,000 mile air filter for the Lambdas for $65.99/each. In case anyone else in interested, the link is below:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2394

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
1 million mile ? is that correct?

So what K&N filters where people trying in their lambdas-- that they reported lower MPGs-- and went back to stock?

was it the cone shaped ones?

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
roberto - I've used K&N Filters in my cars for years. I've never bought one of those cone-shaped add-on systems, but always just installed the replacement filter for my kind of car.

K&Ns are guaranteed to last 1,000,000 miles. This is because they are cleanable and reusable. They do require maintenance which is done by purchasing what they call a "recharging kit" which includes cleaner and oil that you re-coat the metal filter media with. I imagine like any filter that isn't changed when needed or maintained when needed, airflow will suffer.

I never actually compared mileage on my previous cars, but I also never detected any noticeable change in mpg -- up or down. With replacement paper air filters for the Traverse costing $25+, I can see the K&N at $66 + freight paying for itself in a fairly short period of time.

>>>> One other advantage is that with the K&N sticker clearly displayed on my air box, I don't have to listen to some guy trying to sell me a new air filter every time I get my oil changed. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
let us know if you notice any + or - in gas use.

This for other members info.
Im not too excited about cleaning a filter.
What I have noticed is that the filters in my Impala is rated for about 50,000 miles. Last I checked it still looked pretty good at about 35,000.
I was actually surprissed.
We hit 40,000 on it yesterday. I may consider changing it out.

But if im not mistaken- the Traverse filter is also a 50K filter. I have not checked mine after 17K.

But I probably wont check it till 25K.

My trailblazer filter was a different story- that one I changed every 20K. (once a year).
It actually would get dark.... it was a big filter too--- big cylindrical filter.

You think you may get the MAF issues Id see some of the Trailblazer guys get with oil getting on that sensor?

·
Registered
994 Posts
rbarrios said:
My trailblazer filter was a different story- that one I changed every 20K. (once a year).
I decided to change the air filter in the Traverse yearly regardless of miles driven. Once a year at the anniversary date is easy to remember.

rbarrios said:
You think you may get the MAF issues Id see some of the Trailblazer guys get with oil getting on that sensor?
For sure this is possible. To each his own but I wont use a K&N air filter; OEM paper is just fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Last I checked it still looked pretty good at about 35,000.
If I saw a air filter with 35,000 miles and it looked clean, I would wonder where the dirt was.

The air filter is one of the most important devices on any engine. You should be concerned with good filtration and not risking engine damage to try to get some mystical mileage increase.

Btw-Fuel mileage increase with a K&N air filter is fantasy. Its urban legend and has nothing to back it up. K&N even declaims that on their web site but I am sure they appreciate the legend being out there as many will say they bought if to get better mileage.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What I think I've decided to do is (a) replace the air filter at least annually myself with an OE model, and (b) put a K&N Filter sticker on the air box to discourage snoopy service and oil change guys from trying to sell me a new air filter every 6 or 8 thousand miles.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Z15 said:
If I saw a air filter with 35,000 miles and it looked clean, I would wonder where the dirt was.

The air filter is one of the most important devices on any engine. You should be concerned with good filtration and not risking engine damage to try to get some mystical mileage increase.

Btw-Fuel mileage increase with a K&N air filter is fantasy. Its urban legend and has nothing to back it up. K&N even declaims that on their web site but I am sure they appreciate the legend being out there as many will say they bought if to get better mileage.
Well its not- brand new white/clean.
But its not dirty- like Ive seen some cars.
Filter is doing its job in the impala- as UOA show good filtration.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have had a K&N type filter system on every car I've had, since high school ( 6 total ), and I have always noticed a slight increase in performance as well as noise. Keep in mind, this isn't just a replacement filter, this is an complete cold air intake system, either from K&N, or made by myself for much cheaper, but just as good as K&N, with a K&N filter. Over the years, I probably haven't seen any noticable increase in MPG just from my filter, or intake, but with the other added goodies I usually put on my vehicles, I do notice a MPG difference. For instance, I have never just put on an intake, or a filter, and called it good for performance upgrades. I always do something to the exhaust as well, or a TB spacer, more free flowing intake, tonneau cover for the truck bed, etc. so it is very hard to single out one thing that has added fuel economy.

To me, it isn't about the MPG, because quite honeslty, I couldn't really care less about fuel economy. I buy a car because I like it, and I want the most power available in that car, ALWAYS. I buy K&N filters and intake systems for the added HP, which in turn CAN lead to better MPG, if you keep your foot out of it. >:D

·
Registered
324 Posts
My thoughts are that the mass air flow sensor, or whatever they call them these days, adjusts the fuel amount to the volume of air present, so a K+N alone wouldn't help or hurt mileage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I’ve already used that air filter and it worked well. It has a name so I am sure that it has a quality. Some air filters are better too.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Just put a KN filter today only 63.53 including tax very affordable , took a litttle effort getting the bottom two screws in....ten minutes tops :thumb:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Yes those 2 screws are easy to put in with a long extension and heavily magnetized bit ends.

Let us know if the miles per gallon get better.

Thanks.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Oh yes a extra long, 14 inches ,extension with a magnetic tip for the 25 tork bit is a must.

Amazed at how much space is used up by that air box, with it completely out there is great access to the trany and rear of the engine. :thumb:

I've noticed a quicker acceleration response at normal throttle, :happy:that in it self is worth the investment and the gas mileage should inprove slighty.

·
Registered
860 Posts
The only potential issue I see here (and I've used these filters in every car up until the Traverse) is that more air is getting into the engine. Subsequently, one of two things will happen:

The PCM will modify the fuel curve (increase the amount of fuel used) based on MAF readings OR

The engine will run in a continuously leaner condition (which can lead to other issues).

If either of these scenarios is true, which one is more likely? I'll go with number one which should only lead to slightly worse gas mileage.

We're getting 16-17 MPG in town and 23-24 MPG roundtrip on the interstate. I'll keep the paper filter.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
The only potential issue I see here (and I've used these filters in every car up until the Traverse) is that more air is getting into the engine. Subsequently, one of two things will happen:

The PCM will modify the fuel curve (increase the amount of fuel used) based on MAF readings OR

The engine will run in a continuously leaner condition (which can lead to other issues).
[/color]What's your mailing address I will send you mine, only 2300 km it's like new. [/color]

I've used KN for fifthteen year in various vehicle and I have seen a increase in the miles/gallon with a better throttle response and a increase in acceleration... easy to serice and does a excellent job :thumb:

·
Registered
860 Posts
Thanks, but I don't want it.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts